MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap places to eat Rossclot General Discussion 30 12-13-2009 10:47 PM
Bringing Furniture NickAcc Residence & Housing 5 09-04-2009 03:16 PM
How to eat cheap & healthy? MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 07-29-2009 09:16 PM
Cheap Furniture? feonateresa General Discussion 31 07-08-2009 11:18 AM
Where to get cheap used books? WavesSea General Discussion 12 07-31-2008 10:44 PM

Cheap Furniture

Old 07-30-2008 at 12:37 AM   #1
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

Cheap Furniture
For all those living off campus next year, any idea on where to get inexpensive furniture for your room such as bed, mattress, desk etc?
Old 07-30-2008 at 12:41 AM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Ikea. Ikea. Ikea. There's one in Burlington, not too far away from Mac. I'm heading there this weekend to get some stuff, but I'm sure they'll have everything on sale closer to the end of August, before everyone leaves for school.
Old 07-30-2008 at 06:41 AM   #3
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

www.craigslist.com
Old 07-30-2008 at 08:18 AM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I heard that they had desks lying around in ABB that said anyone could take them.
Old 07-30-2008 at 03:26 PM   #5
Cubit

If you don't mind the sketch factor, occasionnally people leave crap out on the sidewalk for any takers. But again, you also don't know why it is there. Garage sales maybe. I'd go with Ikea personally - it's cheap and doesn't have insects living in it or old beer stains.

also possibly freecycle?

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 07-30-2008 at 04:05 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

If you're going to get stuff from Ikea though, (I love Ikea, their stuff is awesome) bear in mind their delivery fees. I think they said 75 dollars for one item when my parents called, but check it out.
Old 07-30-2008 at 04:46 PM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

Their stuff is nice and easy to assemble though; me and a few friends put together a bed in like 20 minutes.
Old 07-30-2008 at 08:49 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Yeah IKEA is pretty good but keep in mind that you get what you pay for so treat it nicely. If you buy the 1.99 laundry hamper it will eventually rip, I assure you. Go with the 8 dollar one lol.

Old 07-31-2008 at 10:28 PM   #9
nuttynatz

I think Ikea sounds good so far, I've checked out their website and they have a wide price range which is good....their new catalogue comes out tommorrow yay!
Old 07-31-2008 at 10:46 PM   #10
samantha__
Elite Member

OMG Does it? Do they still send that in the mail? lol
Old 07-31-2008 at 10:51 PM   #11
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Alvand has the right idea...good for bargain hunters. I'd get a new mattress though...

Beware of Ikea assembly! I know someone who cut their finger off! :O
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:05 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I bought my furniture (dressers, nightables, bed frame) from a local re-usit store. The aim was for my parents and myself to save some money because I wasn't neccessarily planning on keeping the furniture in later years -- it was more for functionality than anything. My parents said I could also do whatever I wanted with it.

I think the furniture (two dressers, two nighttables, headboard, footboard, metal bedframe) cost around $100-$150. Paint was around $30 maybe? MUCH cheaper than the cheapest stuff at IKEA.

I currenly have really bright green dressers with blue knobs, two bright blue night tables with bright green handles, and a black bed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-01-2008 at 12:06 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Also...ask around and see if any family of yours has furniture they're not using. Yes, some of it may not be all that fashionable...but it's free!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-07-2008 at 08:22 AM   #14
aurry

Liked: Liked 3 Times

In Oakville we used to have a Spring Fling/Bulk Trash week where everyone would throw out old furniture. Unfortunately they don't do it anymore =/

I furnished my whole room (wood dresser, matching bedside table, shelf, pretty objects/decoration, mirror, bedframe and desk) for free!

See if your town has anything like that, you can actually find some REALLY nice stuff. All they usually need is just a little bit of cleaning

Just don't pick up any mattresses or cushions. Those are sketchy
Old 08-07-2008 at 09:00 AM   #15
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

We used to (not sure if they're doing it still) have a off campus swap day, you could swap your old lamp for someones old end table, that kind of deal. It was like a yard sale without the exchange of money. I remember them doing it in my first year but I was still on campus then and I don't think they did it last summer... but last summer is a bit of a blurr.