MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good take-out places near McMaster? AdelaisAer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 09-19-2010 01:02 AM
Places to Go/See in Hamilton. lorend General Discussion 18 08-17-2009 04:14 PM
hair places. davey General Discussion 18 09-23-2008 01:43 PM
(More) Places to Eat Off-Campus Chad Food & Meal Plans 4 01-12-2008 04:08 PM
Places to study on Campus Sarahs Academics 7 09-11-2007 09:19 AM

Cheap places to eat

Old 12-12-2009 at 09:36 PM   #1
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Cheap places to eat
Anyone have any suggestions for cheap places to eat close to campus?

I'm really surpised at how expensive it is to eat on campus. I wish there would be somewhere to eat on campus that was really inexpensive. Like maybe it wouldnt be the most glamorous food, but close enough to being healthy and cheap.

Part of me would like to try to push the school to offer somewhere to eat on campus whose prices dont feel like rape. Like a sort of student soup kitchen.
Old 12-12-2009 at 09:55 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Subway is generally pretty cheap and has soem good sub varieties (more varieties and cheaper than mr.sub, i find)

for actual restos... you can buy a nice warm breadstick from eastsides for like, 2 bucks.

that's all i know. i can't afford to eat out. D:

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-12-2009 at 11:09 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I know this is for off campus dining but I know on campus you can get eggs (no meat) and toast from La Pizza for as cheap as $3.00!!!
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:39 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Gino's is always cheap, with their walk in deal for a medium pizza (around $5, I forget the exact price now).

If you want less sketchy, more healthy, Subway is your best bet.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:41 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I know this is for off campus dining but I know on campus you can get eggs (no meat) and toast from La Pizza for as cheap as $3.00!!!
The sad thing is, you can buy a carton of eggs and a loaf of bread for $4.50. You could probably find a toaster and a frying pan for like a buck each at garage sales too.

I would suggest Subway, or Pizza Pizza (I think there's one near campus somewhere). Subway offers somewhat "healthy" options.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:42 PM   #6
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

the arabic place beside subway is pretty cheap, and has a decent selection. plus, you get 15% off for anything over $5
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:44 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Pita Pit in Westdale is sortakinda cheap, depending on what you get. Pretty healthy, again depending on what you get. :] Mighty tasty!
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:45 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
You could probably find a toaster and a frying pan for like a buck each at garage sales too.
On that note, Value Village has a great selection of used appliances and cooking ware, for pretty cheap. It will probably be slightly more expensive than at a garage sale, but it beats pounding pavement looking for one. You also get a wider selection.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:15 AM   #9
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I know Basilique in westdale has good falafels and shawermas cheap. I never buy food on campus but I sometimes get like those instant microwavable things at unioin market. or jut bring my own food and heat it up.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:16 AM   #10
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Really I am looking for quick places to eat when I dont have any time. I can always cook for myself without spending a ton of cash, but I need to find places that give a lot of food for your dollar.

Cedar's is a rip off whe
n is comes to quantity. Anyone from the maritimes would laugh at what they call a Donair. Where's the meat!

God dam
n this thread is making my poor ass hungry! I love cheap dirty food. Just put it in my face!

I've
never tried Basiliques because it looked fancy and expensive : (

Last edited by Rossclot : 12-13-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:39 AM   #11
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Basilique?fancy?well. . you'd be surprised, its just a regular shawarma type joint thats open till 3 am and deliver
if you want fancy go across the street to 1010 bistro... but service there is not very nice.
Old 12-13-2009 at 12:40 AM   #12
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

You can pick up quick things at Fortinos for a really good price.. already cooked and all that

I also really like this falafel place downtown. It's really cheap and really good! I think it's called Safan something or other... it's on King st near jackson square if you're ever in that area. My coworker and I would split our falafels for lunch (because they were huge) so we each ended up only spending about $1.50 a day on our meals. solid deal, I'd say..
Old 12-13-2009 at 09:27 AM   #13
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
the arabic place beside subway is pretty cheap, and has a decent selection. plus, you get 15% off for anything over $5
Yes Cedar has a pretty good variety of food!

Delicious too! =)

Old 12-13-2009 at 12:16 PM   #14
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Really I am looking for quick places to eat when I dont have any time. I can always cook for myself without spending a ton of cash, but I need to find places that give a lot of food for your dollar.

Cedar's is a rip off whe
n is comes to quantity. Anyone from the maritimes would laugh at what they call a Donair. Where's the meat!

God dam
n this thread is making my poor ass hungry! I love cheap dirty food. Just put it in my face!

I've
never tried Basiliques because it looked fancy and expensive : (
well, compared to ginos, and subway, i think its pretty good deal. you could also try wendy's (dont know where the nearest one is)...they have meals for $3 now
Old 12-13-2009 at 02:33 PM   #15
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

union market:

bagel + cream cheese = 1.30
apple, banana, or pear = 0.60
fill up a water bottle = 0.00

lunch as low as $1.90. =)