MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap places to eat Rossclot General Discussion 30 12-13-2009 10:47 PM
Bringing Furniture NickAcc Residence & Housing 5 09-04-2009 03:16 PM
How to eat cheap & healthy? MacEng First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 07-29-2009 09:16 PM
Cheap Furniture nuttynatz General Discussion 16 08-07-2008 11:10 PM
Where to get cheap used books? WavesSea General Discussion 12 07-31-2008 10:44 PM

Cheap Furniture?

Old 07-07-2009 at 02:37 PM   #16
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm fairly certain that it's all used.
yup, value village is used stuff, i dont know if its all donated or people sell it to value village or what though :S
Old 07-07-2009 at 02:45 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
yup, value village is used stuff, i dont know if its all donated or people sell it to value village or what though :S
In either case, I think it would be best to steam clean the furniture for sanitary reasons. You never know what that furniture has been through!
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:22 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
In either case, I think it would be best to steam clean the furniture for sanitary reasons. You never know what that furniture has been through!
Haha that's what I'm worried about. You don't know what people do in the privacy of their home. >.>
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:27 PM   #19
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha that's what I'm worried about. You don't know what people do in the privacy of their home. >.>
yeah maybe you should just stick to used furniture from family only
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:29 PM   #20
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Value Village is awesome! I love thrift stores, you never know what you'll find and all for cheap. And yeah, use your common sense with craiglist.. it's pretty obvious to meet at a public location or with a friend. A lot of craiglist people want to get rid of their stuff and give it away for free too.

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:30 PM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
yeah maybe you should just stick to used furniture from family only
Hahah, yeah, well we'll see. You just don't know you know? haha. Or I'll get a heavy duty steam cleaner as Jeremy suggested. And a blacklight. o_o
Old 07-07-2009 at 03:32 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Hahah, yeah, well we'll see. You just don't know you know? haha. Or I'll get a heavy duty steam cleaner as Jeremy suggested. And a blacklight. o_o
Lol, it doesn't have to be heavy duty. I just use my shark steam cleaner. It's really good.
Old 07-07-2009 at 04:11 PM   #23
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

ikea ftw .
if you budget and research you can get some good deals
Old 07-07-2009 at 05:31 PM   #24
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

At Ikea, right before the check out, in the area where you actually pick up the stuff, there's a sort of "reject" furniture section, and it's all discounted. There's nothing really wrong with any of the stuff, as far as I can tell, and it's majorly cheaper than buying stuff in the store. I've bought a few things from there, and no problems as of yet!

feonateresa, _Luu_ all say thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 07-07-2009 at 05:44 PM   #25
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
At Ikea, right before the check out, in the area where you actually pick up the stuff, there's a sort of "reject" furniture section, and it's all discounted. There's nothing really wrong with any of the stuff, as far as I can tell, and it's majorly cheaper than buying stuff in the store. I've bought a few things from there, and no problems as of yet!
Really?! Oh that's great, I should check that as well.
Old 07-07-2009 at 07:00 PM   #26
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Also, with Ikea stuff you can always modify it to suit your needs. Check out Ikea Hacker for ideas!

daisy says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 07-07-2009 at 07:21 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
It's called the As-Is section. People return furniture for various reasons. Like if it's missing pieces and they already started building it. They just add the new piece to it. Also, aesthetic reasons such as a nick in the wood or a scratch here and there. But the furniture is completely functional, it's just aesthetics.
Old 07-07-2009 at 07:47 PM   #28
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
Also, with Ikea stuff you can always modify it to suit your needs. Check out Ikea Hacker for ideas!
Thanks. I just found a really good idea. =P
Old 07-07-2009 at 07:57 PM   #29
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Wow thanks I didn't know that. :]
Old 07-07-2009 at 08:57 PM   #30
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Garage sales are amazing (I hate them, but one can find great stuff!). Also, keep your eyes peeled for side-of-the-road stuff -- my brother just picked up three almost brand new chairs from the side of the road in a really nice neighborhood with a "free" sign on them. The people who put them out were obviously just redecorating, or had gotten tired of them, or something!