MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider saukalra ARCHIVES 61 08-26-2009 02:21 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM

Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan?

Old 06-04-2010 at 10:36 PM   #16
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Fido (same company). $15 plan w/ iPhone.
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:40 PM   #17
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Very true.

Wind is kind of weird, with their "AWAY" and "WIND" zones. Seems like where I am right now is a "WIND" zone, but if i walk like 10mins away from my house, im in an "AWAY" zone. :s
oh how confusing canadian cell phone plans are =/
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:57 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Fido (same company). $15 plan w/ iPhone.
:o Link Me
Old 06-04-2010 at 11:14 PM   #19
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Like everyone has already said, an iPhone without a data plan is redundant (it's basically a iPod touch with a crappy phone app). Pick up a solid feature phone and get a $20 plan with Fido/Koodo/Solo and buy a iPod touch, you'll save yourself $50 a month (almost $2000 on a 3 year contract) and still get everything that you wanted.
Old 06-04-2010 at 11:55 PM   #20
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Lol.

The thing is, if your iPhone is unlocked, you can get a nice cheap plan. As for data usage, just use WiFi! Its good enough.
Even if I get an unlocked iPhone, the cheapest plan with Rogers is still $30/month, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:13 AM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Even if I get an unlocked iPhone, the cheapest plan with Rogers is still $30/month, isn't it?
Cheapest Data plan? Or any plan? If the iPhone is unlocked, you do not require to get a data plan with it And if thats so, you can get plans for as low as $15 per month
Old 06-05-2010 at 01:00 AM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

If you wanna be really cheap, just buy an iPod Touch and use the Skype application to talk to others when you're near a Wifi network :p.
Old 06-05-2010 at 01:14 AM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you wanna be really cheap, just buy an iPod Touch and use the Skype application to talk to others when you're near a Wifi network :p.
doing that with an iphone is much easier :p
Old 06-05-2010 at 07:55 AM   #24
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
:o Link Me
http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...o=monthlyPlans
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:01 AM   #25
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You can't.

My mom just got some deals on her account, but only because she's been with Rogers since 1984. Yup, 26 years.

My phone is still ridiculous, but it's a little bit better now that I took off Call Display (that was like 8 bucks a month) and got unlimited texting with my plan. (I have a BB 8520; might want to consider this phone instead if anyone's thinking of switching.)
This is basically the only way to get good deals with Rogers and the only reason we stay with him. While not 26 years I think we've been with them almost 10.

All companies have specific CSRs for retention (ie keeping customers) and they also have certain deals that they offer to long time, loyal customers.
Old 06-05-2010 at 11:20 AM   #26
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
Those are normal plan, not iPhone plans. Look at the top right, above the "CityFido" image, theres a link to "iPhone Plans", and they are expensive!
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:14 PM   #27
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I was thinking of getting an iphone aswell with the new one comming out . Ive researched quiet a bit and this is the best deal i have found so far.

Wind Mobile : 15$
Unlimited
-Incoming text
-WIND to WIND calling across Canada from any WIND Zone

+ 100 province wide minutes
+ 50 outgoing text messages.
+ Caller id, call conference ...etc

And then you can add on stuff like

Unlimited Text Messaging : 5$
500MB data : 20$
50MB data : 10$

I was thinking of going for the 15$ plan with unlimited text messaging and the 500MB data. so that comes to 40$ a month + tax.

Or if maybe even go with the 50MB, being in university, there is internet everywhere, and i have bell internet at home so i get free wifi at all starbucks/second cups. So the only time ill really use the 3G network is on the bus.

If you live mostly within the 'wind zones' then it might be worth going with them
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:21 PM   #28
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I've heard that Wind's network is kinda crappy at the moment due to them having had to open something like a month earlier than they were supposed to.
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:21 PM   #29
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
I was thinking of getting an iphone aswell with the new one comming out . Ive researched quiet a bit and this is the best deal i have found so far.

Wind Mobile : 15$
Unlimited
-Incoming text
-WIND to WIND calling across Canada from any WIND Zone

+ 100 province wide minutes
+ 50 outgoing text messages.
+ Caller id, call conference ...etc

And then you can add on stuff like

Unlimited Text Messaging : 5$
500MB data : 20$
50MB data : 10$

I was thinking of going for the 15$ plan with unlimited text messaging and the 500MB data. so that comes to 40$ a month + tax.

Or if maybe even go with the 50MB, being in university, there is internet everywhere, and i have bell internet at home so i get free wifi at all starbucks/second cups. So the only time ill really use the 3G network is on the bus.

If you live mostly within the 'wind zones' then it might be worth going with them
I was looking at that deal too.

So 15$ base + $5 text + $10 data = $30 a month = amazing.
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:27 PM   #30
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

I reccommend checking out MyCellMyTerms.com for anyone looking for a new contract.

Basically, you tell them what phone and features you want, and they shop it around to all the major carriers and bring you back deals to choose from. Apparently, you can also negotiate from the deals they bring you.

I haven't used it personally yet, so I can't vouch for it. But it was featured on Dragon's Den (and got a deal) and they post deals others recently got on their site and twitter feed.

Best of all, it doesn't cost you a thing. From what I understand, if you choose a deal they found for you, the wireless company you choose pays the site for bringing them you as a customer.

http://www.mycellphonemyterm s.com/General/

lorend, _Luu_ all say thanks to scott000 for this post.