MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider saukalra ARCHIVES 61 08-26-2009 02:21 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?) feonateresa General Discussion 63 07-11-2009 06:26 PM

Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan?

Old 06-05-2010 at 12:29 PM   #31
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Ah dam, WINDMobile doesnt have any "free calling from 7pm to 7am" deals :(
Old 06-05-2010 at 06:52 PM   #32
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

It really depends on what you use your phone for.
-Do you text a lot?
-Do you talk a lot and when?

If you text rather than talk and can deal without a smart phone then rogers pay-as-you-go is probably your best option. Not too many people know about the add-ins, which actually make it very reasonable.

To any pay-as-you-go account you have NO contract at all to worry about and get free call display. In addition to this you can add the following (i do not include every option)
-$10 per month for unlimited recieving texts and 2500 texts sent
-"Socialite 20": $20 for unlimited texts, unlimited local calling 3-6pm, unlimited on-device mobile browsing, 25cents per minute for local cals outside 3-6pm

^Those plans are monthly, charged to your pay as you go account. If there is not $20 in the account, you lose the plan and it becomes a standard pay as you go phone again until you reactivate it again. No charges, no contracts.

If you either dont talk much, or use a lot of long distance, then these should be an option. Otherwise a standard voice plan is better
Old 06-05-2010 at 07:00 PM   #33
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I have a "fake"Blackberry. It's a Samsung phone and looks and acts just like a Blackberry. It's Pay As You go, $20 per month, unlimited internet and texting. With Rogers. I love it.

But if you're set on an iPhone, have you checked WIND? I heard most of their plans are half as expensive as Rogers and Telus.
Have you looked into any "fake" iPhones? I mean phones that are basically identical to an iPhone without the expensive bills. Like this one:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/ph...ry =allphones

Last edited by Kathy2 : 06-05-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2010 at 07:46 PM   #34
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
I was looking at that deal too.

So 15$ base + $5 text + $10 data = $30 a month = amazing.
Yup, it seems very nice. But its only 50mb but still good
Quote:
I reccommend checking out MyCellMyTerms.com for anyone looking for a new contract.

Basically, you tell them what phone and features you want, and they shop it around to all the major carriers and bring you back deals to choose from. Apparently, you can also negotiate from the deals they bring you.

I haven't used it personally yet, so I can't vouch for it. But it was featured on Dragon's Den (and got a deal) and they post deals others recently got on their site and twitter feed.

Best of all, it doesn't cost you a thing. From what I understand, if you choose a deal they found for you, the wireless company you choose pays the site for bringing them you as a customer.

http://www.mycellphonemyterm s.com/General/

That looks very neat, im gonna give it a try next week.
Thanks for that
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:30 PM   #35
blackdragon
Elite Member

I gave that website a try, lets see if they email me.
Old 06-07-2010 at 12:19 PM   #36
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

Try mobilicty.

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/

Last edited by BenTran : 06-07-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Nevermind, Its only in Toronto
Old 06-07-2010 at 01:03 PM   #37
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTran View Post
Mobilicity coverage is piss poor right now (they just started) and their wireless tech doesn't support the iPhone for now. Mobilicity likely isn't going to be worth picking up for a year or so.
Old 06-07-2010 at 01:08 PM   #38
blackdragon
Elite Member

Ive heard mobilicity only works in toronto...?
Old 06-07-2010 at 01:10 PM   #39
blackdragon
Elite Member

Seems like it is only toronto, look at the coverage.
Old 06-07-2010 at 02:28 PM   #40
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Ugg Rogers, the plan I have is the Cheapest, I was told but when you add call display it comes to 45 dollars a month
Old 06-07-2010 at 03:58 PM   #41
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

try windmobile.. they have a pretty good coverage.. and they got blackberry bold too..
Old 06-07-2010 at 07:15 PM   #42
Mlochab

Liked: 0 Times

Its possible to get a good plan with rogers, my current plan is $ 42 a month but through retentions i have got 300 minutes, unlimited evenings from 9 pm( i know terrible but i hardly use it before that) 500 mb data, 2500 texts, caller id, voice mail and my 5 Canada wide

it took allot of phone calls with various retention reps, but if you get a nice one, BINGO, but also not to forget some of the discounts were from before for being a long time customer ( 9 years)

to get the iPhone work out a deal with them for the 15$ a month 150mb data, then you can always cancel that later and downgrade your plan a bit.
Old 06-07-2010 at 07:44 PM   #43
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
try windmobile.. they have a pretty good coverage.. and they got blackberry bold too..
Wind kinda has sketchy coverage right now too (outside of the core GTA) but they're expanding a bit soon, once they get those new towers up they should be golden as long as you don't head too far out of the GTA (and the new Blackberry Bold is a gorgeous phone).
Old 06-07-2010 at 08:24 PM   #44
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you wanna be really cheap, just buy an iPod Touch and use the Skype application to talk to others when you're near a Wifi network :p.
thats exactly what i do. also i use this application text plus free using which you can send messages to any canadian number for free and also receive messages back on ipod touch as long as i'm in wifi zone...so pretty much whenever i'm home or in university. for emergency i have fido prepaid for $10...works out quite nicely!!
Old 06-07-2010 at 08:26 PM   #45
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Go for FIDO. Pay $300 for the iPhone and then you don't have to go with their data plan. You can just go with the voice plan as cheap as $15.