MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM
chem 2e03 model kit MCHEDDENITE Academics 0 09-12-2010 06:51 PM
Chem 2E03/2OC3 R633 Academics 5 06-08-2010 02:53 PM
chem 2e03 summer muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-10-2010 08:54 PM
Chem 2E03, 2OA3 Infinity General Discussion 13 09-14-2009 04:25 PM

Chem 2e03

Old 08-16-2010 at 06:14 PM   #1
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Chem 2e03
So I saw no course review for this subject. I have a few questions about it:

in terms of work how much is it?
And is it easy to understand the material?
Did you go at a slow pace.. because Chem is not my strong suit.
Also how hard is it get a good mark?
Old 08-16-2010 at 08:04 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWM View Post
So I saw no course review for this subject. I have a few questions about it:

I haven't taken the course, but I know the prof that teaches it--I had her for a couple of other courses last year. If you're having any trouble with anything in the course, she's really good in office hours, and she'll definitely take the time to explain concepts to you. I've never really had her in a big lecture-style class, so I'm not sure about her lecturing style, but she tends to put all of the relevent information in the slides. She's also super-organized

2E03 is considered the "easier" orgo, so hopefully it won't be too hard I think it covers some of the material from 2OA3, but not all of it.

Hope that helps a bit!

sun.shine, _Mike all say thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-17-2010 at 08:05 PM   #3
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I haven't taken the course, but I know the prof that teaches it--I had her for a couple of other courses last year. If you're having any trouble with anything in the course, she's really good in office hours, and she'll definitely take the time to explain concepts to you. I've never really had her in a big lecture-style class, so I'm not sure about her lecturing style, but she tends to put all of the relevent information in the slides. She's also super-organized

2E03 is considered the "easier" orgo, so hopefully it won't be too hard I think it covers some of the material from 2OA3, but not all of it.

Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks so much
Old 08-17-2010 at 08:22 PM   #4
rajo2

Liked: 0 Times

chem 2e03 is really easy ,,,much much easier than 20a3....Meckenzie is great,,,easy marks
Old 08-17-2010 at 09:11 PM   #5
X!Bilet

Liked: 4 Times

Not the best professor in my opinion; shes a lil like a drone; reads off her slides and her explanations are sorta not good. But the course in itself is really easy; MUCH easier than 2oa3 in my opinion. But ya you will not go to lecture; trust me, you just wont. LOL. I have only had her for this class only (2e03) so perhaps she is better in office hours as is said. I didnt go to her for help but went to the TAs. Plus, it is a slow pace and not difficult (no equations basically or very few simple ones) but ya compared to 1st year chem, id say 2e03 is easier. I got a 12 without trying or going to class. I know tons of others that did as well.
Old 08-18-2010 at 02:49 PM   #6
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by X!Bilet View Post
Not the best professor in my opinion; shes a lil like a drone; reads off her slides and her explanations are sorta not good. But the course in itself is really easy; MUCH easier than 2oa3 in my opinion. But ya you will not go to lecture; trust me, you just wont. LOL. I have only had her for this class only (2e03) so perhaps she is better in office hours as is said. I didnt go to her for help but went to the TAs. Plus, it is a slow pace and not difficult (no equations basically or very few simple ones) but ya compared to 1st year chem, id say 2e03 is easier. I got a 12 without trying or going to class. I know tons of others that did as well.
Would you say Chem 2E03 is good enough to prepare us for the orgo portion of the MCAT?
Old 08-18-2010 at 03:18 PM   #7
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

so, I too took this course and had a different experience.

- not very much work at all, I only studied a couple of days in advance of the midterms/exams. There were also assignemnts, I completely those also a couple of days in advance and ended up with an 11 in the course.

Yes and no. It's easy to understand and while you're there in class you'll be like, "oh geez this is soo easy and so boring" but when you do it on the assignments/midterms you find it's a lot more difficult than you expected it to be. This is where practice comes in and you need to do lots and lots of that.

To be honest, the prof was really boring/monotone during class and I really couldn't pay attention so I can't really tell how fast/slow we were going. When I tried to focus, i'd completely understand everything she was explaining and it wasn't too fast. Shecovered things at a good pace but then again I like chemistry. Also, I feel that i learned a lot more from tutorials than lectures. find which ta is good and go to their tutorial.

do all the suggested problems and you'll be fine. she asks similar questions on tests/exams. just practice a lot. it's not that hard.

2e03 on its own i don't think prepares you for the orgo in the mcat. there's NMR on mcat which isn't covered in 2e03.

Starkad, _Mike all say thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:42 PM   #8
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

I heard that the orgo courses go above and beyond what you need to learn for the MCAT though. I think I'll take 2E03 since it seems easier, and I could just self-study a couple of the things that are left out. I'm hoping I don't sound unrealistic, haha.
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:48 PM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i think im gonna take this chem n wayz cuz im not allowed to take the orogos n i MIGHT take the MCATS but im not worried about the chem section because d prob fail it ne wayz lol
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:35 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Does anybody know what chapters are covered?
Old 09-08-2010 at 05:02 PM   #11
eyecandy

Liked: 0 Times

I will be taking 3 bio (bio 2c03, 2E03, 2EE3), 2 enviro sci (2B03, 2C03) and chem 2e03 this upcoming term.. I'm absolutely terrible in chem and was wondering how heavy 2e03 is in terms of workload? Having 6 science-based courses in one term, I think, is a bit too much and I'm not quite sure if I can handle it. I only need to take orgo to be able to take biochem course for dentistry prereq. Any suggestions?

I know most people above have mentioned it's pretty easy but I'm getting mixed reviews on it; some are saying it's just as difficult as chem 2OA3 and that 2e03 uses same textbook and cover pretty much same chapters except a few.

Last edited by eyecandy : 09-08-2010 at 05:08 PM.