MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Chem 2OB3 during the school year after taking 2OA3 during the summer... oranges Academics 4 08-17-2011 07:47 PM
Take a full year of chem or bio 2oa3/30b3 for dentistry/dental school prerequisites. fatcat Academics 13 07-11-2011 12:17 PM
orgo chem in summer school? doppelganger Academics 21 04-02-2011 03:17 PM
Textbook Advice for Orgo Chem 2OA3 ikantsepll Academics 26 08-26-2010 07:55 AM
Summer school orgo chem LBJ.MVP Academics 0 03-24-2010 07:12 PM

Chem 2OA3/ Orgo Summer or Regular School Year?

Old 06-21-2013 at 10:03 AM   #1
drslayer987

Liked: 1 Time

Chem 2OA3/ Orgo Summer or Regular School Year?
Should i take both orgos during the year or in the summer?
Old 06-21-2013 at 10:26 AM   #2
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drslayer987 View Post
Should i take both orgos during the year or in the summer?
This honestly depends on who is teaching.
Old 06-21-2013 at 10:47 AM   #3
Chipmunk

Liked: 6 Times

I highly recommend you avoid Harrison. The final exam for 2OA3 was unreasonably difficult. It was just...terrible.
Old 06-21-2013 at 12:51 PM   #4
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
I highly recommend you avoid Harrison. The final exam for 2OA3 was unreasonably difficult. It was just...terrible.
It really wasn't. Jeez, the attitude science kids have vs engineering kids is incredible. Harrison isn't a bad prof (you guys dont even know what its like to have REAL bad profs), and the exam was more than fair, quit yer complaining. Orgo is tough material, it's to be expected
Old 06-21-2013 at 01:07 PM   #5
drslayer987

Harrison is teaching regular year, and he though this summer hes the only one
Old 06-21-2013 at 01:08 PM   #6
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
This honestly depends on who is teaching.
Harrison he is teaching both summer and regular school year i think because this summer he though orgo and he is teaching regular year as well so i think he will be teaching next summer as well
Old 06-21-2013 at 01:09 PM   #7
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
I don't think i will be able to do that, since he is teaching the regular school year and perhaps summer since he though this summer term
Old 06-21-2013 at 01:15 PM   #8
Chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
It really wasn't. Jeez, the attitude science kids have vs engineering kids is incredible. Harrison isn't a bad prof (you guys dont even know what its like to have REAL bad profs), and the exam was more than fair, quit yer complaining. Orgo is tough material, it's to be expected
Well, you're probably used to having exams like that since you're an engineer. I never said the exam wasn't fair...it covered content we did, sure. I said it was unreasonably difficult. I stand by that and it will reflect in the class average.I presume a science student is asking me, and if he wants to know where he is likely to get the highest mark, it isn't with Harrison. Compare his exams to to any other orgo professor and you'll see a blatant difference in difficulty.

Alternatively, compare ratings online

http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...sp?tid=8 6907
Old 06-22-2013 at 12:48 AM   #9
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Well, what do you mean by this? Science kids work very hard too and to be honest, based on admission averages, they are definitely not dumber than engineers. The exam was NOT more than fair when I took it with Harrison. The class was murdered on his final with an avg in the low to mid 50s. (His questions does not reflect what he taught). Most science kids want to aim for 11-12 GPA to get into professional/grad schools while taking difficult courses like this!! Engineers don't have pressure to get super high GPAs at all.
Old 06-22-2013 at 08:31 AM   #10
kaytuh

Take the course without Dr. Harrison teaching it.
I did the Organic Chemistry Final Exam a few days with Dr. Harrison teaching and got absolutely murdered by it. The results come out in a few days and I'm praying I passed :/
Old 06-22-2013 at 10:02 AM   #11
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Well, what do you mean by this? Science kids work very hard too and to be honest, based on admission averages, they are definitely not dumber than engineers. The exam was NOT more than fair when I took it with Harrison. The class was murdered on his final with an avg in the low to mid 50s. (His questions does not reflect what he taught). Most science kids want to aim for 11-12 GPA to get into professional/grad schools while taking difficult courses like this!! Engineers don't have pressure to get super high GPAs at all.
No where did i say they were dumber than engineers. I said the attitudes are different, why can't you just accept that orgo is your "hard course"? Not everything should be a cakewalk. When i took 2OA3 during the year with harrison, i specifically remember for one of the midterms the class average was 68, and people were OUTRAGED. Outraged to the point harrison had to give everyone a free 2% to bring it to 70 because there was so much complaining. Are you kidding me?! I've had classes where the average is below passing and that's the end of it. Tough luck. Do better on the exam, and hope for a curve.

Lois likes this.
Old 06-22-2013 at 11:28 AM   #12
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Dr Brook is teaching 2OA3 in the regular year for the upcoming school year. Anyone heard of him and can comment on him?
Old 06-22-2013 at 11:34 AM   #13
drslayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
Dr Brook is teaching 2OA3 in the regular year for the upcoming school year. Anyone heard of him and can comment on him?
How do you know that?
Old 06-22-2013 at 12:03 PM   #14
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drslayer987 View Post
How do you know that?
Oh my fault, just checked the time table and yeah its Harrison. Accidently clicked on Chem Bio 2OA3
Old 06-22-2013 at 02:00 PM   #15
Chipmunk

Quote:
That's pretty much how our exam was last night too. The last mechanism he asked for was frankly outrageous. Do you know if they curved anything at all?