MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone selling their Chem 20A3 Orgo Textbook and solution manual? kohmx Academics 1 04-08-2010 08:22 PM
Course Material for Orgo CHEM 2OA3 and 2OB3 Wolf11 Academics 8 07-17-2009 09:14 AM

Textbook Advice for Orgo Chem 2OA3

Old 08-23-2010 at 10:29 AM   #1
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Textbook Advice for Orgo Chem 2OA3

Can any orgo chem veterans (2OA3) suggest what textbooks/kits they recommend and thought were really helpful? Titles is not very helpful on this matter as it just lists everything as optional:

http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/secti...hcourse= 2OA3

I wanted to buy them online and so can't wait until classes begin for the professors recommendation. Let me know if the study guides were helpful or not too. Thanks!

EDIT: Professor is listed as 'BROOK, MA' - Any thoughts on him too?

Last edited by farid : 08-23-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add detail
Old 08-23-2010 at 10:35 AM   #2
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

First of all - textbooks all depend on your prof.

Some prof's notes are good others aren't, and thus you'll have to tell us who your prof is. I found that it was unecessary to read the textbook in the summer when i took it... but generally if you want to clarify concepts, most of the material is on reserve at a library (prob older version though) or you can look it up on the web

A must have in the beginning is a model kit. It'll help you visualize things in your head when your first starting out. I recommend playing with it in your spare time, like waiting for the bus or on the can - then you'll start to see things spatially in your head.
Old 08-23-2010 at 01:12 PM   #3
samir2

Liked: 12 Times

Being an expert in this field, I recommend you buy everything listed.
Old 08-23-2010 at 01:28 PM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Ok for the Organic Chem textbook what do all the different letters stand for?
SSM, SSG, MMK, WILEYPLUS

I'm assuming SSM and SSG stand for student solution manual and student solution guide but i'm not sure what the difference is, and I'm assuming wiley plus is an electronic component. I have no clue about MMK.

Also, which model kit is the best?
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:05 PM   #5
AnthraX

Liked: 23 Times

SSM: Student Solution Manual
SSG: Student Study Guide
MMK: Molecular Model Kit
WileyPlus: online access code to eBook and/or practice question
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:44 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Model kits are good if you are not a visual learner. Learning to visualize the molecules takes practice and it will save you precious time. Just buy an old copy of the book+manual and you're set.

Last edited by macsci : 08-23-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: model kits not useless, fixed
Old 08-23-2010 at 02:55 PM   #7
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Yeah the 'moly-mod' assignments from High-school were tedious since it was annoying to build those molucules and didn't actually help, but someone else posted above that they are a must have. I think I'm just gonna buy the kit since I didn't do so hot in 1AA3 orgo.

Was the WileyPlus online access code mandatory in previous years? It seems like 'Dr. Brook' hasn't taught this course recently.

Last edited by farid : 08-23-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:13 PM   #8
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

Model kit is only useful when you're visualizing molecules for stereochemistry. If you're a visual learner like me, these are useless lol.
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:17 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Model kit is only useful when you're visualizing molecules for stereochemistry. If you're a visual learner like me, these are useless lol.
Yeah, I'm also really good at spatial visualization. I brought the visual kit to my midterm and exam and didn't use them at all :\
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:18 PM   #10
jordan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, I'm also really good at spatial visualization. I brought the visual kit to my midterm and exam and didn't use them at all :\
Me too. It provided me some entertainment for both my midterm and exams though =D.
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:21 PM   #11
jordan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Nah, there is some reactions that require proper arrangements that need to be visualized as well, such as E2 in the sense that the leaving group has to be anti to the hydrogen that is abstracted. Might be tricky to visualize especially if the groups are in a ring structure.... I didn't have problems with such, but I knew a whole lot of others who did...
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:24 PM   #12
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
Nah, there is some reactions that require proper arrangements that need to be visualized as well, such as E2 in the sense that the leaving group has to be anti to the hydrogen that is abstracted. Might be tricky to visualize especially if the groups are in a ring structure.... I didn't have problems with such, but I knew a whole lot of others who did...
Reading this just scared me, definately picking up a model kit now lol
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:28 PM   #13
Qian

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by farid View Post

Can any orgo chem veterans (2OA3) suggest what textbooks/kits they recommend and thought were really helpful? Titles is not very helpful on this matter as it just lists everything as optional:

http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/secti...hcourse= 2OA3

I wanted to buy them online and so can't wait until classes begin for the professors recommendation. Let me know if the study guides were helpful or not too. Thanks!

EDIT: Professor is listed as 'BROOK, MA' - Any thoughts on him too?
heyyy, i wanna get the orgo textbook too, do u know which website i can get them at?
Old 08-23-2010
TLulu
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-23-2010 at 03:36 PM   #14
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qian View Post
heyyy, i wanna get the orgo textbook too, do u know which website i can get them at?
I'm at work rite now, but I can drop you a few links later when I get home =)