MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grad School Acceptance Clematis Academics 4 02-25-2011 11:56 AM
Do You Want to Go to Grad School? lorend Academics 5 10-25-2010 12:19 AM
Grad school xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 12-28-2009 08:46 PM
Anyone else applying to grad school this year? Kathy2 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:25 PM
bioscience grad school, canada or US? Mikage Academics 3 06-03-2009 01:34 PM

Chem + grad school?

Old 06-20-2011 at 10:21 AM   #1
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Chem + grad school?
To any of the chem kids out there: Do you guys know how necessary it is to do grad school after going through Honours Chem? I'm kinda getting mixed opinions on it. Obviously you don't need to do grad school for anything, but how viable is it to go out into the workforce and get a decent job with just a B.Sc? Thanks as always guys. :p
Old 06-20-2011 at 12:24 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
To any of the chem kids out there: Do you guys know how necessary it is to do grad school after going through Honours Chem? I'm kinda getting mixed opinions on it. Obviously you don't need to do grad school for anything, but how viable is it to go out into the workforce and get a decent job with just a B.Sc? Thanks as always guys. :p
From my limited knowledge of any of this, which again is probably quite limited, I would say a MSc or PhD will let rank up higher and all that sort of stuff, plus if you enjoy what you are doing, it cant really hurt to go to grad school
Old 06-20-2011 at 01:26 PM   #3
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

From what I've heard, chemistry majors generally make quite less than chemical engineers and graduate school is really emphasized if you are planning on a chemistry degree. I'm not really sure though, just what I've picked up.
Old 06-20-2011 at 01:47 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

It makes sense to go to a graduate level, because usually spots for chemistry-related fields are filled by engineers, and a B.Eng. is probably ranked higher than a B.Sc.
Old 06-20-2011 at 02:39 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
B.Eng. is probably ranked higher than a B.Sc.
That's debatable as well, since only specific streams of both B. Eng and B.Sc. are more in demand than others..
But anyway, grad school is not necessary, for anyone. Getting a job after undergrad depends on a lot of things, where you're aiming to work, skills, grades, and most importantly, networking. Sure, your degree matters, but there are a lot of other things to consider as well. Honours Chem degrees aren't as popular as say, Honours Bio, or Psych. However, that also depends on what environment you want to work on. Also, keep in mind that anyone with a Master's would probably get a better job than someone with merely a BSc, just because of the fact that you'd be more experiences in your field after having done a 2-year degree on top of the 4 years that everyone else has.
Here's something you might want to look at. This too and note the different education levels in comparison to the job itself .

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 06-20-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Zimonada says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:11 AM   #6
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

From what I've heard, it's fairly hard to get a job with just a B Sc. of Chem. If you don't have anything else that separates you from the crowd, you don't really have a chance to get a good job unless you have a graduate degree. It's more common in Chemistry to get a masters, as opposed to physics where you have to have a PH.D to get anywhere :s.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:37 AM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
That's debatable as well, since only specific streams of both B. Eng and B.Sc. are more in demand than others..
I should have clarified - I meant, if a B.Eng in Chemical Engineering was applying to the same post as an B.Sc. Chemistry, the former might be given preference. It's just my opinion, though, I really have no experience or proof to back it up!

Last edited by Faer : 06-21-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:54 AM   #8
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikia View Post
From what I've heard, it's fairly hard to get a job with just a B Sc. of Chem. If you don't have anything else that separates you from the crowd, you don't really have a chance to get a good job unless you have a graduate degree. It's more common in Chemistry to get a masters, as opposed to physics where you have to have a PH.D to get anywhere :s.
It's interesting you say this for physics. My friend had told me that the Honours Physics program boasted a 99% employment rate after graduation.

Sheikia likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 01:57 PM   #9
Sheikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
It's interesting you say this for physics. My friend had told me that the Honours Physics program boasted a 99% employment rate after graduation.
nvm then lol.
Old 06-21-2011 at 01:59 PM   #10
Sheikia

Quote:
maybe it's just that you need to have a PH.D in physics to be well respected in the field.

Or maybe I'm just watching too much Big Bang Theory...

hatorade likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 10:48 AM   #11
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Thanks guys, as usual. For anyone who's interested, I went to the Student Success Centre (I think, whatever the career services place is) and they pretty much said the same thing. A B.Sc. will suffice, but it significantly depends on where you're headed after you get out of school. So, it's back to researching I guess.

I'll change the question then, does anyone know anything about getting into forensics? My very limited knowledge tells me that there's a program at U of T and that the field is really difficult to get into, but besides that, I've got nothing.
Old 06-24-2011 at 07:45 AM   #12
Sheikia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Thanks guys, as usual. For anyone who's interested, I went to the Student Success Centre (I think, whatever the career services place is) and they pretty much said the same thing. A B.Sc. will suffice, but it significantly depends on where you're headed after you get out of school. So, it's back to researching I guess.

I'll change the question then, does anyone know anything about getting into forensics? My very limited knowledge tells me that there's a program at U of T and that the field is really difficult to get into, but besides that, I've got nothing.

Haha that's exactly what I have been looking at doing. From the extensive research I've done on the subject, you only need a Hons. B Sc.(4 years) in any scientific area (ie. Bio, Chem, Physics etc.) for forensics. The most important thing for a job like that is experience and shadowing/training.

I applied for the special forensics program at U of T and got in, but after reading that you really only need a Hons B Sc. (and I even read something that discouraged doing any forensics specific programs because they said it was important to get the basic science knowledge and the employers really don't care about forensics programs) I decided I would much rather come to mac than go to Scarborough (it's at the scarborough campus, not st. George.) They said where you really learn the "forensics" techniques are through doing the actual work, and not at school.

From what I've read, the best bet in Canada for a forensics job is the RCMP. They are the ones that handle that kind of forensic work. In Canada it seems to be an almost strictly federal thing. In the states it tends to be more municipal (ie what you see on the TV shows like New York and LA)

Hope that helps
Old 06-24-2011 at 12:52 PM   #13
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
thats because theres only like 10 or so students, and they are all stellar students with excellent grades.

no one in their right mind would go into honors physics unless they were pretty good at it!

macsci, particle, Sheikia like this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 12:38 AM   #14
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
thats because theres only like 10 or so students, and they are all stellar students with excellent grades.

no one in their right mind would go into honors physics unless they were pretty good at it!
this is true