MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Engineering Advice adeelb Academics 4 09-07-2011 05:03 PM
Chemical Engineering killerbeatz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-31-2011 12:18 AM
Chemical bio engineering! muons Academics 1 03-20-2011 07:12 PM

Chemical and Bio Engineering.

Old 11-03-2011 at 10:47 PM   #1
TabbishAziz

Liked: 0 Times

Chemical and Bio Engineering.
Hey guys, I know its a little earlier to be thinking about second year, but I was really curious. Could anyone give me their opinion/experience of Chemical and Bio engineering? I've been thinking of going into this field, but im still not sure, my marks in chem are okay, not the greatest, but i dont mind stuff like thermodynamics. I have already looked at this link http://chemeng.mcmaster.ca/undergraduate/BioEng.htm

I just really wanted to hear an opinion/ personal opinion, because to my understanding, its fairly new, how now is it?
And how is the workload/profs?
Thanks alot guys!
Old 11-03-2011 at 11:10 PM   #2
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Its never too early to think about these things.
Old 11-03-2011 at 11:37 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

HEY Tabbish. While im not in chem eng, I know a couple of chem and bio kids. I was told my upper years that there actually isnt alot of chem in chem eng. ..if i knew that i might have done it to. btw if u can, take chem 1aa3 during the summer if paul halata is teaching. if i had him, i might have done chem and bio instead of elec and bio
Old 11-03-2011 at 11:48 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If you're referring to electrical and biomedical engineering, you're misleading yourself to call it bio eng; theres a LOT of electrical and maths.
Old 11-04-2011 at 12:36 AM   #5
TabbishAziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
If you're referring to electrical and biomedical engineering, you're misleading yourself to call it bio eng; theres a LOT of electrical and maths.

No no i was referring to chemical and bio engineering... unless you're talking about macpack :p
edit. my fail sorry i didnt read the above properly
Old 11-04-2011 at 05:54 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i have friends in both chembio+elec bio. in the second year so far, the "bio" version they take the same courses. Gota take biology + anatomy classes. It's just your chosen discipline for urprimary engineering is different. The classes as you work your way up will probably change (check the courses they take). From what i see, the bio extra will be very streneous. It is a double major. Be prepared for tons of memorization (biology classes) and having a lab almost every day. It is a lot of work but my friends love their bio classes over alltheir eng courses
Old 11-04-2011 at 11:46 PM   #7
muons

Liked: 84 Times

It definitely is much more work!

You can also consider Chem Eng and Society and focus all your electives in either biology or biochemistry.

This way you can pick your own courses and pick the ones you really like.

Just a thought.
Old 11-05-2011 at 11:39 AM   #8
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Be prepared for tons of memorization (biology classes) and having a lab almost every day. It is a lot of work but my friends love their bio classes over alltheir eng courses

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but you will def not have a lab every day... You will probably have a course with a lab component per semester (sometimes two if you didn't plan at all).

It is harder than straight ChemEng for sure and there is def memorization required for the bio/biochem courses. Personally, I've loosed my workload a bit this year (year 4 out of 5) by taking all my electives in summer school. I did the first semester of each summer term with 1 or 2 courses and then during the year I was able to take upper year courses. This year I have 6 and 5 courses and next year I have 5 and 5 courses which is entirely manageable.

Don't be afraid because people say the workload is higher. If you're focused, you have decent time management skills and it really interests you, then you'll definitely succeed in it. I'd say 2nd year was the hardest, 3rd year was surprisingly easy (everything seems easy after you manage to get through anatomy and physiology in 2nd though), and now 4th year is a bit challenging but it's more than do-able.
As with all things worth doing, it takes hard work but it's not impossible by any means.

Last edited by AmyLia : 11-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2011 at 12:28 PM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Electrical and Biomedical ould have a lab every day...all classes are lab classes, but math labs are optional
Old 11-05-2011 at 12:47 PM   #10
BlueMorphan

Liked: 14 Times

Hey Tabbish,

I'm in my 5th year of chem/bio eng and I've loved it. I'm definitely more interested in the bioeng side of it, and personally wouldn't have enjoyed straight chem eng as much. I think it does end up being a bit harder, but it's still manageable without taking summer school courses.

One of the coolest lab courses in chem/bio is at the end of 4th year, where you get to culture stem cells and design your own bioreactor experiment. And Anatomy is a fantastic course you'll get to take in 2nd year. I don't think I've ever had more than 2 labs in a week.

Basically, if you're interested in microbio/cell bio/bioengineering as well as chemical plant design-related stuff, I'd recommend chem/bio eng 100%. BUT don't forget it'll take you 5 years instead of 4.

AmyLia, micadjems like this.
Old 11-10-2011 at 08:07 AM   #11
TabbishAziz

Thanks for all your helpful replies everyone! However, there is one thing that I am concerned about. I am not doing very well in CHEM 1E03 this term, my mark is in the 60s, which is giving me second thoughts of choosing Chem and Bio engineering second year. What type of chem do you do in chem and bio engineering? I heard it is more of the applied aspect such as thermochemistry. My stronger parts in chem were thermochemistry and organic chem (Especially organic in highschool). Would these courses be insanely difficult for someone who didn't do exceptionally in first year chem? I wanna choose this stream for the bio and anatomy courses, How did you guys do in first year chem? (To those that are in chemical/chem and bio engineering)? Thanks! =)
Old 11-10-2011 at 08:52 AM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

im in 2nd year chem. first term (chem eng 2d04) the intro course is morel ike process/formula based. the only basic stuff u needa retain from chem is how to get moles and understand balanced chemical equations. next semester is an extension of that course, instrumentation and heat transfer so it is more applied not as theoreticla

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 11-10-2011 at 01:51 PM   #13
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Anyone know if one is allowed to apply for chem & bio without taking grade 12 bio (but i took grade 11)? Or would i have to talk to a counselor about that?
Old 11-10-2011 at 04:51 PM   #14
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Anyone know if one is allowed to apply for chem & bio without taking grade 12 bio (but i took grade 11)? Or would i have to talk to a counselor about that?
You can apply without having taken Grade 12 Biology. It won't influence your admission to the level II program at all, but it may take you a little more work to understand Bio 1A03 that you will take in second year (as many of the concepts carry over from or repeat Grade 12 Bio).

adaptation says thanks to Elliott779 for this post.
Old 11-11-2011 at 09:03 AM   #15
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott779 View Post
You can apply without having taken Grade 12 Biology. It won't influence your admission to the level II program at all, but it may take you a little more work to understand Bio 1A03 that you will take in second year (as many of the concepts carry over from or repeat Grade 12 Bio).
Oh, i see, thank you!