MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Biology question. GB123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2011 03:02 PM
Chemical Biology - Q&a sarrah66 Academics 4 08-09-2010 08:39 PM
does anyone have 2nd yr used chemical biology books? oDianao Academics 1 08-09-2010 08:15 PM
Chemical Biology vs. Biochemistry dchan28 Academics 3 06-30-2009 10:26 PM

Chemical Biology

Old 11-23-2011 at 01:34 AM   #1
byulnim

Liked: 4 Times

Chemical Biology
Can anyone currently in chembio tell me how crazy the workload is?
and what the class average is in general in the program?
I was looking at second year programs and found chembio interesting but from what I've heard, you go into that program only if you have a death wish or something;;;;;
So tell me how your lives are chembio students!!!
Old 11-23-2011 at 03:19 AM   #2
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Ha, they say that probably because of they want to get of any potential competitions It is a competitive program.

byulnim says thanks to Serene for this post.
Old 11-23-2011 at 09:17 AM   #3
PinkiePie

Liked: 6 Times

It is not an unreasonable amount of work. If you enjoy the subject matter then you'll be fine.

byulnim says thanks to PinkiePie for this post.
Old 11-27-2011 at 11:18 AM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There are several other threads about this so I won't rehash them--do a search and they should all come up. Second year chembio (particularly first term) has a pretty intense workload, but after that it's totally fine. Class average doesn't really mean much in such a small class, but maybe around a 10 or something? Plenty of people have had good enough marks to get into med school from chembio. The people who say you only go in if you have a death wish probably don't actually know very much about the program, and/or don't know what actually doing work means.

byulnim says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 11-27-2011 at 06:14 PM   #5
byulnim

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
There are several other threads about this so I won't rehash them--do a search and they should all come up. Second year chembio (particularly first term) has a pretty intense workload, but after that it's totally fine. Class average doesn't really mean much in such a small class, but maybe around a 10 or something? Plenty of people have had good enough marks to get into med school from chembio. The people who say you only go in if you have a death wish probably don't actually know very much about the program, and/or don't know what actually doing work means.
Yeah I looked around macinsider but those were posted in past years so I was wondering if it has changed much since it's a very new program.
Old 12-08-2011 at 07:30 PM   #6
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

Be geninuely interested in the stuff taught in the program, it's the best way to succeed. Marks alone is not enough of an incentive to work as hard as you need to, especially in 2nd year 1st semester. Lots of research opportunities available, small class (our year has around 15 people right now), the courses teach you to think and apply knowledge. I was rather hesitant when i started the program, but looking back now, it's probably one of the best decisions I've made.

byulnim says thanks to Jenn for this post.
Old 12-08-2011 at 08:12 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

The first term of chembio is basically nearing its end for me now (I'm in 2nd year). I'm going to have to say it was quite the experience and very different from my first year. Although I did find myself with less time and sleep, the workload is completely reasonable if you start early and stay on top of things. I think the biggest thing would be, like many people have said already, is just to be interested in what you are studying. Everyone, if not almost everyone, in the program enjoys chemistry A LOT and I think that's what driving us to do well. Personally, my grades aren't that far from my first year grades and like first year, you can get the help you need from TAs and professors.

When I first came into the program I have heard of all those rumors about heavy workload, people dropping out etc.. But I decided just to go with it and see how it went and I haven't regretted a thing.

byulnim says thanks to particle for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 12-09-2011 at 02:18 PM   #8
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If you don't like chemistry, then you really should reconsider.
Your first year in the program (second year) is insanely busy. But its not unreasonable because I was able to manage being on the rowing team and working at Mac Pool at the same time.
Third year is much easier. Not easy, and the workload becomes less ridiculous (or maybe I've just become used to heavy workload).

But either way, you must love chemistry, and if you go into the program, and its really not for you, you'll know very soon. But everybody who stays definitely doesn't regret the decision. For some, its one of the best decisions made in university.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

byulnim says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 01-17-2012 at 10:44 PM   #9
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

One question, is it hard to get into the program S: ? because i heard the program has like only 30 students .... (not really good in odds =.=)
Old 01-17-2012 at 10:54 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_akbari View Post
One question, is it hard to get into the program S: ? because i heard the program has like only 30 students .... (not really good in odds =.=)
It's all based on your average. If your average is better than most of the people applying, you'll get in. And they tend to accept more than 30, since not everyone who gets in will accept the offer. They aim for a class size of around 30 though.
Old 01-18-2012 at 04:04 PM   #11
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

From the information session last night, the anticipated cut off is 9.8 - 10