Where is dr childs stats class held? Rakim Academics 15 09-23-2010 01:45 PM
Dr. Childs chutneyP Professors 3 07-10-2008 01:53 PM

Childs or Mc lean

Old 08-11-2011 at 10:10 AM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Childs or Mc lean
Which prof is better for Math and why ( engineering math 1st year)
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:12 AM   #2
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Childs, no reason needed
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:13 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I've heard they're both good.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:18 AM   #4
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I liked them both (Childs for 1ZA3/1ZB3 and McLean for 1ZC3) but I found Childs was a little better personally. He was also funnier, although both joked around a fair amount at times.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:19 AM   #5
mfattal
Elite Member

my schedule is good and i have mclean is it worth switching to childs?
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:21 AM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
my schedule is good and i have mclean is it worth switching to childs?
No. Child's classes are usually ultra packed; so even though he may be marginally better - it's likely going to be very uncomfortable in the room.

mfattal says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:05 AM   #7
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No. Child's classes are usually ultra packed; so even though he may be marginally better - it's likely going to be very uncomfortable in the room.
100% this. They're often packed to the point people are standing. Especially for 1ZA3, none of the profs are "bad" and most of the material is "review" (except series and sequences...), so it's not that big a deal who you have. It matters a little more for 1ZC3, where McLean is the only one without an accent.

mfattal says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:50 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread Mohammad, but does anyone have feedback on Mares for 1ZA3? I cannot switch to any other teacher for that class :(
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:58 AM   #9
Zimonada

^ Mares started his first year of teaching ever last year, for 1ZA3. So, I was in his first class ever. He didn't know how to teach, so eventually, I stopped showing up. I will say though people had him second term and he's supposedly gotten much better, but I was in another core, so I wouldn't know. I'll give him credit too though; he's trying really hard to improve, once he realized he needed to learn the "tricks of the trade" he started attending Childs' classes to learn how to teach better. And it definitely worked.

If I had him now, I'd probably show up. He's a young guy (fresh out of school) and he tries to be relatable, and he definitely knows his stuff (I can't remember where he went, I want to say MIT... it was definitely a pretty reputable school in the states though). Add in the fact that he's gotten better at teaching and he should be pretty solid. Give it a try, if he's terrible you always have 2 weeks to switch out/start showing up to another core/teach yourself from the book.

Last edited by Zimonada : 08-11-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:15 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

childs although both are very good
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:21 PM   #11
Cheetory6

Liked: 1 Time

Childs is definitely funnier and his examples tend to make more sense, but I think both of them are really excellent profs. As long as you have one of them you'll be fine.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:22 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Which prof is better for Math and why ( engineering math 1st year)
Why does it matter? I find it highly unlikely that Childs' core isn't full, so this dilemma shouldn't exist.
Old 08-11-2011 at 01:02 PM   #13
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Why does it matter? I find it highly unlikely that Childs' core isn't full, so this dilemma shouldn't exist.
I think your teacher or the prof in this case has to do a lot with how you understand the subject

i had a horrible physics teacher in grade 11 and because of him i did not want to do engineering

but i took physics in grade 12 and my teacher was so good that i decided to go into eng,

I have Mc lean but i thought i should go to childs but people told me mc lean is really good too so ill stick with him
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:16 PM   #14
Zimonada

Quote:
I think your teacher or the prof in this case has to do a lot with how you understand the subject
Fair, but on the other hand, in upper years you don't get the luxury of multiple cores and multiple profs for a lot of courses, and if you can't learn from who you're stuck with you either teach yourself or don't learn it.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:28 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:

i had a horrible physics teacher in grade 11 and because of him i did not want to do engineering

but i took physics in grade 12 and my teacher was so good that i decided to go into eng,

I have Mc lean but i thought i should go to childs but people told me mc lean is really good too so ill stick with him
No, I was talking about actually being able to switch... I was never able to switch around my math classes (profs) when I actually needed to.