MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are marks rounded up? ginaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 04-25-2011 11:24 PM
HELP!! i need to make a decision on my elective tiffanytian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 01-07-2011 08:35 AM
Engineering I Elective choosing Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-27-2010 11:40 PM
Choosing my elective... xxsumz Academics 3 06-21-2010 05:09 PM
POP POLL: Do MSU Elections Make the Grade? lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 11-10-2009 12:47 PM

Choosing an elective: To boost grade OR To make you a well-rounded student

Old 06-12-2011 at 06:29 PM   #1
BonnieH

Liked: 0 Times

Choosing an elective: To boost grade OR To make you a well-rounded student
Hi,

So I am trying to choose an elective. I only have space for a one-term course. I don't know if I should select an English course (a subject which I am weak in) to make me well-rounded since most of my courses right now are geared towards the sciences, or if I should select a course that is easy and can perhaps boost up my gpa for the coming year such as another social science course.

Do any upper year students have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011 at 06:43 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I suggest you take a language course other than english, that way you look like a well rounded student and usually introductory courses to languages are easy to get a good grade in so you kind of hit two birds with one stone.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

BlueWave likes this.
Old 06-12-2011 at 06:48 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I suggest you take a language course other than english, that way you look like a well rounded student and usually introductory courses to languages are easy to get a good grade in so you kind of hit two birds with one stone.
I agree. French is a good one to take for employability.

Old 06-12-2011 at 07:13 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I believe all first year French courses are year long. If you do decide to take a course over the summer, freeing another course space for you, I would highly recommend you take French 1A06 with Dr. Posthumus. She's an amazing teacher and she really tries to keep your marks up.

BonnieH says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:14 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Find a science course that has you write a bunch of stuff!
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:34 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Find a science course that has you write a bunch of stuff!
Philos 2D03 Ethics in Health Care

Old 06-12-2011 at 07:42 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Philos 2D03 Ethics in Health Care
I don't think there's a course called "Ethics in Health Care." :/ I thought Philos 2D03 was Moral Issues..
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:43 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I don't think there's a course called "Ethics in Health Care." :/ I thought Philos 2D03 was Moral Issues..
Quote:
PHILOS 2D03 MORAL ISSUES
An introduction to moral philosophy, through a consideration of issues in health care ethics. Topics such as abortion, human experimentation, euthanasia, and genetic screening will be investigated.
Two lectures, one tutorial; one term
... Its about health care ethics ....

Old 06-12-2011 at 07:44 PM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

But the material covered is health related.

"An introduction to moral philosophy, through a consideration of issues in health care ethics. Topics such as abortion, human experimentation, euthanasia, and genetic screening will be investigated."

EDIT: Ninja'd
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:46 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
... Its about health care ethics ....
Ahh, got it. I thought the title didn't sound health care-related, thanks .
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:15 PM   #11
BonnieH

But I think Med schools require students to have some sort of course/experience with 'expository writing', so that's why I'm thinking I should take an english course..
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:19 PM   #12
BonnieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I believe all first year French courses are year long. If you do decide to take a course over the summer, freeing another course space for you, I would highly recommend you take French 1A06 with Dr. Posthumus. She's an amazing teacher and she really tries to keep your marks up.
Could I take FRENCH 1K06 (it's prerequisite is gr. 11 french) even though I took gr. 12 french?
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:22 PM   #13
BonnieH

Quote:
But I think Med schools require students to have some sort of course/experience with 'expository writing', so that's why I'm thinking I should take an english course..
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:55 PM   #14
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieH View Post
Could I take FRENCH 1K06 (it's prerequisite is gr. 11 french) even though I took gr. 12 french?
Nope, don't think so

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1789.html
Old 06-12-2011 at 09:22 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieH View Post
It's usually just out of province schools, the Ontario ones don't give a shit. Dal and Calgary don't. I think Memorial requires 2 years, U of A 1 but you'll have to check with the schools themselves.