MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Share Your Photos of the World Alvand General Discussion 22 07-17-2009 09:36 PM

Is Christianity Good for the World?

Old 03-20-2010 at 08:22 PM   #16
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

I dunno if religion is good for the world but it's certainly not good for this forum.

jamescw1234, Maegs like this.
Old 03-20-2010 at 08:38 PM   #17
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

..........*broken record*..........
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:22 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
I dunno if religion is good for the world but it's certainly not good for this forum.
Complacency breeds ignorance.. for some people, Christiantity rages the shit out of people, and for others, they base their entire worldview/perspective on, so i think its an important issue.

Haters keep on hatin'
Old 03-20-2010 at 10:33 PM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

aww man, i was looking to see a heated debate when i clicked the link

my opinion = religion is good so long as it helps you do better with the condition that you dont force it down peoples throats.
Old 03-21-2010 at 01:07 PM   #20
chii

Liked: 0 Times

People need to watch Inherit The Wind. It is a great movie with bold views but a fair perspective.
It also has Gene Kelly in it. Which is always nice ; )

"An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral"
Old 03-22-2010 at 08:59 AM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Kay sorry guys, but you're making me lol so hard by coming into a thread that specifies what it's about and going "OMG WE DONT NEED ANOTHER [email protected]@@@shitoneene1!!!"

kdontclickitlol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

sniderj, Theophilus like this.
Old 03-22-2010 at 10:21 AM   #22
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

The error seems not sufficiently eradicated, that the operations of the mind, as well as the acts of the body, are subject to the coercion of the laws. But our rulers can have authority over such natural rights only as we have submitted to them. The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-Thomas Jefferson

Geek, kanthamd, Maegs, sniderj, Taunton like this.
Old 03-22-2010 at 10:24 AM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Too bad the religious people don't get that.
Old 03-22-2010 at 12:25 PM   #24
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Too bad the religious people don't get that.
As far as these threads go, it seems to be far more the NON religious people who don't get that. There was a mildly amusing article in the Sil about overly zealous atheists who just make the intelligent atheists who can actually back up their position look bad, by being extremely obnoxious and believing that they've done the world a huge service by being balatantly rude to C4C members/ changing KGPs to KGBs etc.

The last line of the article was something to the effect of "if it bothers someone that much that other people believe in God, they really need a lesson in not giving a shit."

Last edited by Geek : 03-22-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 at 12:35 PM   #25
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

good friday and easter monday, so yah it is!
Old 03-22-2010 at 12:51 PM   #26
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
As far as these threads go, it seems to be far more the NON religious people who don't get that. There was a mildly amusing article in the Sil about overly zealous atheists who just make the intelligent atheists who can actually back up their position look bad, by being extremely obnoxious and believing that they've done the world a huge service by being balatantly rude to C4C members/ changing KGPs to KGBs etc.

The last line of the article was something to the effect of "if it bothers someone that much that other people believe in God, they really need a lesson in not giving a shit."
If someone is rude to a C4C member, there's a strong likelihood it's because that member is attempting to bog them down with pamphlets or a heart-to-heart talk about what it means to KGP. I'm equally rude to people who are handing out flyers for MSU Clubs, elections, or really any type of flyer/unsolicited obnoxiousness.
Old 03-22-2010 at 05:10 PM   #27
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
If someone is rude to a C4C member, there's a strong likelihood it's because that member is attempting to bog them down with pamphlets or a heart-to-heart talk about what it means to KGP. I'm equally rude to people who are handing out flyers for MSU Clubs, elections, or really any type of flyer/unsolicited obnoxiousness.
Quote:
People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you're not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.
**** that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It's yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it. Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission, don't even start asking for theirs.
same goes for the evangelical international religious groups. keep giving them as much or as little shit as you feel like and have fun doing it!

Last edited by andrew22 : 03-22-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 at 07:16 PM   #28
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
The error seems not sufficiently eradicated, that the operations of the mind, as well as the acts of the body, are subject to the coercion of the laws. But our rulers can have authority over such natural rights only as we have submitted to them. The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-Thomas Jefferson
For all those who will read the Taunton edition of this quote, I completely disagree with his edit. The penultimate line is probably the most important in the quote: "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others".

In fact I would extend to this equal protection to evangelists as other advertisers, rather than extend that by default evangelists are wrong because Thomas Jefferson says that his neighbor's religion isn't something that harms him. It is merely an argument against government regulation of morals.

Marlowe likes this.
Old 03-22-2010 at 10:05 PM   #29
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
good friday and easter monday, so yah it is!
Easter monday is known in the real world just as "Monday"

Don't forget about Christmas and Thanksgiving though. 2 more paid days off for anyone in the workforce!
Old 03-27-2010 at 02:48 AM   #30
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times

i think if people are only good because they fear some omnipotent god, then they are not really good people to begin with and therefore religion forces ppl to live in fear