MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM
Share Your Photos of the World Alvand General Discussion 22 07-17-2009 09:36 PM

Is Christianity Good for the World?

Old 03-27-2010 at 10:24 AM   #31
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Good God, how many of these threads have there been since I was away?

Can no civilized university students let things go? It's a thread to announce an event on campus which will cater to some students and cause a tight feeling in the stomachs of others...

But regardless of what meaningless crap you spew on this forum, the event will go on and you'll continue feeling good / crappy about it. Just let it go.

It's threads like this (and KGP, etc.) that support my hypothesis that university students are (in general) stupider than the uneducated. More educated sure, but that's different from being smart. And worse, if this fact gets to your head...

Let's just say, I'd rather be a complete moron and acknowledge that I'm a complete moron, than to have a little bit of knowledge and think I know everything. I'm getting loads of that from these forums lately.

denisa002 likes this.
Old 03-27-2010 at 11:19 AM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Good God, how many of these threads have there been since I was away?

Can no civilized university students let things go? It's a thread to announce an event on campus which will cater to some students and cause a tight feeling in the stomachs of others...

But regardless of what meaningless crap you spew on this forum, the event will go on and you'll continue feeling good / crappy about it. Just let it go.

It's threads like this (and KGP, etc.) that support my hypothesis that university students are (in general) stupider than the uneducated. More educated sure, but that's different from being smart. And worse, if this fact gets to your head...

Let's just say, I'd rather be a complete moron and acknowledge that I'm a complete moron, than to have a little bit of knowledge and think I know everything. I'm getting loads of that from these forums lately.
Little overdramatic, tbh.

This isn't a matter of us being university students or somehow our level of stupidity. This is a forum on the internet. Once you get one good thread with loads of debate, expect others to follow. Threads die down and if someone who didn't get to post WANTS to post their opinion, they're gonna start a new thread or post an a more current one. Holy.

Maybe you're missing the point of a forum, but last I checked... It's a place to discuss opinions and ideas without backlash over how often its reiterated.

I'm really not quite sure why people discussing a heated topic makes us "stupider" than the masses. This is the nature of a forum: people post to be heard, not to change other people's opinions.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-27-2010 at 04:26 PM   #33
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

^ Sure, but most of the posts here aren't just of the "This is my opinion on the matter" form. They tend to be more "this is my opinion, and the people who hold contrary opinions are idiots".

It's the whole 'superiority and dismissal' bits of the opinions, not just the opinions themselves.

Old 03-27-2010 at 07:25 PM   #34
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
^ Sure, but most of the posts here aren't just of the "This is my opinion on the matter" form. They tend to be more "this is my opinion, and the people who hold contrary opinions are idiots".

It's the whole 'superiority and dismissal' bits of the opinions, not just the opinions themselves.
Would you prefer: This is my opinion, and in my opinion, those who hold contrary opinions are idiots?

I think that's pretty much implied.
Old 03-27-2010 at 07:35 PM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:

^
This.
Old 03-27-2010 at 09:17 PM   #36
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Would you prefer: This is my opinion, and in my opinion, those who hold contrary opinions are idiots?

I think that's pretty much implied.
Right. Let me clarify: "Here's my opinion, and those that don't follow are idiots because of <insert discrete 'facts'>".

That's where it relates to 'university students', since we go through with this process of justifying why 'others are idiots' using what we think is flawless logic (since of course, we're 'educated', and we know everything because of this). Compare this to the "Here's my opinion, and those that don't follow are idiots because...I say so" - it's an 'uneducated' opinion, but is it really worse than the 'logical' arguments posted on this forum?

Old 03-28-2010 at 02:01 AM   #37
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Little overdramatic, tbh.

This is a forum on the internet. Once you get one good thread with loads of debate, expect others to follow. Threads die down and if someone who didn't get to post WANTS to post their opinion, they're gonna start a new thread or post an a more current one. Holy.
If we're going to get into so-called 'forum etiquette,' last I checked the de-railing of every single thread that remotely has anything to do with (in this case) religion isn't appropriate behaviour.

The premise of your rebuttal requires that the old threads have died down...and yet, why is it that I logged in to see this thread, a "religion on campus" thread, and the "KGP" thread all on the main page of the site? Three topics discussing (if you can even call it that anymore) the exact same thing, when 'one good thread with loads of debate' is still one of the ones which is active?

It's certainly not because people have missed their opportunity and are just dying to share their opinions on an old topic and are politely starting a new point of discussion. If that were the case, the old topic would either be bumped (and be the only point of discussion), or there would be a (single) new topic.

All I'm saying is, why is it that every single religious event on campus (every such thread that is) has to spin itself into something ugly? Almost anyone I see who was involved in such threads from the beginning is starting to lose patience and just make sweeping generalizations which can in some cases be interpreted as blatant insults.

And why stop at religion? It's simply the flavour of the month. Any hot topic will do.

Quote:
This isn't a matter of us being university students or somehow our level of stupidity.
No, the fact that such topics exist is not directly related to stupidity...I wasn't intentionally saying that. I was refering to the content of such threads, and how peoples' arguments go from being civil, to impatient responses.
Old 03-28-2010 at 07:23 AM   #38
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgood9 View Post
i think if people are only good because they fear some omnipotent god, then they are not really good people to begin with and therefore religion forces ppl to live in fear
*agree*
(of course I can't just confusingly agree with a position that seems so antithetical to my own with out backing it up with some propaganda!)
Why Christians should drop their religion.
from here http://redeemer.com/connect/skeptics_welcome/
Old 03-28-2010 at 08:17 AM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

That's because this is a forum, not because we are university students.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-28-2010 at 09:42 AM   #40
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
That's because this is a forum, not because we are university students.
Yeah, I tried to further clarify later on. Check a couple posts down, so I don't need to repeat my response...

Old 03-28-2010 at 12:48 PM   #41
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

Many people are just hypersensitive when the topic of religion comes up.
Old 03-28-2010 at 02:16 PM   #42
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

Well, this has gone WAY off topic
And do you guys even know what Christianity is?
Old 03-28-2010 at 04:28 PM   #43
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amliu View Post
Well, this has gone WAY off topic
And do you guys even know what Christianity is?
zombie worship

kanthamd, Maegs, MrFryingFish like this.
Old 03-28-2010 at 06:10 PM   #44
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
zombie worship
Decently accurate description, I think.

Old 03-28-2010 at 09:56 PM   #45
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
zombie worship
Nuh uh

zombies are undead and want to eat other people's flesh.

Christians worship Jesus who we say is alive not dead/undead. He doesn't eat our flesh. (but we literally/symbolically are sustained by Him (depending on your tradition))