MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas Gifts for Guys lizziepizzie General Discussion 43 12-14-2011 05:57 PM
Daily game Feb 09 : Icy Gifts Chad Daily Game 0 02-09-2011 04:41 AM
Best Holiday Gifts lizziepizzie General Discussion 35 12-29-2010 10:56 PM
what do YOU want for christmas?!? Botchio Dating & Relationships 63 12-11-2010 06:34 PM

Christmas Gifts for Girls

Old 12-04-2011 at 11:41 PM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Christmas Gifts for Girls
so i thought id take lizzies idea and do one for girls

so what are good gifts to give girls, and i know alot of you will just say perfume, make-up, jewellery, etc, but not all girls like that kind of stuff, especially from guys, and some prefer to get other things...

... so in a way it should read Christmas gifts for girls from guys....

any ways on a personal note i need to get gifts for 2 very different girls
- one is very shy and quiet, petite, very sweet. shes not the type to like too much makeupy stuff and does not like things which get used up, and she has clearly hinted at no teddy bears (thinks they are over rated), hoping for something $20 or under
- the other one is the opposite in terms of personality. she's definitely an extrovert, speaks her mind, and not at all the shy/quiet/sweet type. she wears make-up and all that stuff but i also don't want to get her makeupy stuff or things like that. hoping for something $30 or under

so does anyone have any ideas, for something unique that i can get them.???

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:46 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
so i thought id take lizzies idea and do one for girls

so what are good gifts to give girls, and i know alot of you will just say perfume, make-up, jewellery, etc, but not all girls like that kind of stuff, especially from guys, and some prefer to get other things...

... so in a way it should read Christmas gifts for girls from guys....

any ways on a personal note i need to get gifts for 2 very different girls
- one is very shy and quiet, petite, very sweet. shes not the type to like too much makeupy stuff and does not like things which get used up, and she has clearly hinted at no teddy bears (thinks they are over rated), hoping for something $20 or under
- the other one is the opposite in terms of personality. she's definitely an extrovert, speaks her mind, and not at all the shy/quiet/sweet type. she wears make-up and all that stuff but i also don't want to get her makeupy stuff or things like that. hoping for something $30 or under

so does anyone have any ideas, for something unique that i can get them.???
Girl 1: A good book. A classic? 'No teddy bear' makes me think that she would appreciate a good book
Girl 2 is a little more difficult... what are her hobbies?

Last edited by apples12 : 12-04-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 06:10 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

-bath stuff
-something fiesty
-something useful
-something that is very witty and smart

honestly it is too "person dependent"
Old 12-05-2011 at 06:39 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

All you've said is these people like or don't like makeup, I'm not sure how to cater to somebody's interests if I don't know their interests....

At least mention their faculty or other perntinent knowledge you have access to.

Really all these threads demonstrate is that people want easy solutions to problems they should be solving for themselves, namely a gift means a lot more if the gift-giver took time to uniquely select or make an item, instead of applying this cookie cutter mentality such as: "you're a guy/girl, you'll like this because thats all I think of when I look at you, your gender".

If somebody got me a cleverly thought of joke item, put this on and screamed trololol, they wouldn't even have to get me anything.

tyrant says thanks to RyanC for this post.

Old 12-05-2011 at 09:36 AM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I agree with the bath stuff; head on over to Bath & Body Works or Lush and look for something.

Girl #1: Get her a journal. If you want, write something nice in the first page. That's really nice and thoughtful.

Girl #2: I agree with apples... can you give us something more to go on?

But I JUST THOUGHT: I bought this really cool book from chapters last year that I use all the time, and it's especially a cool thing to have in university. It's called "Listography" and it's essentially this book that asks you to make a ton of lists of your life... and it's actually like an autobiography, It's REALLY cool. You should check it out. It's neat too if you add something to the list, date it. Then when you add something maybe months later, it's neat to see what you liked a while ago, or even if you keep the book for a long time, see what you liked in first year uni compared to last year. There's also one called Music Listography, which obviously is more tailored to the music-lover.

http://www.chapters.indigo.c a/book...la&sf=Auth or

I can't believe I just thought of this... maybe I'll gift it to a few people, too!

p.s. This is recommended for people who actually like to write stuff down. Obviously. Some people aren't into that.

Chevalier says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:43 AM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
All you've said is these people like or don't like makeup, I'm not sure how to cater to somebody's interests if I don't know their interests....

At least mention their faculty or other perntinent knowledge you have access to.

Really all these threads demonstrate is that people want easy solutions to problems they should be solving for themselves, namely a gift means a lot more if the gift-giver took time to uniquely select or make an item, instead of applying this cookie cutter mentality such as: "you're a guy/girl, you'll like this because thats all I think of when I look at you, your gender".

If somebody got me a cleverly thought of joke item, put this on and screamed trololol, they wouldn't even have to get me anything.
exactly, not nearly enough info.
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:19 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

For the makeup girl, I suggest a LuxeBox. It's a company that mails you 4-5 deluxe samples (basically travel sizes) of high end makeup/skin care products every month. It's kind of a pain to set up though, because you need a credit card and everything. I've been using this product for months and I LOVE it. It's $12/month.

http://www.loosebutton.com/

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:21 AM   #8
kangs6

Liked: 13 Times

Warm fluffy scarf and mittens

-Ish-, Desda, xxsumz like this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:08 AM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
But I JUST THOUGHT: I bought this really cool book from chapters last year that I use all the time, and it's especially a cool thing to have in university. It's called "Listography" and it's essentially this book that asks you to make a ton of lists of your life... and it's actually like an autobiography, It's REALLY cool. You should check it out. It's neat too if you add something to the list, date it. Then when you add something maybe months later, it's neat to see what you liked a while ago, or even if you keep the book for a long time, see what you liked in first year uni compared to last year. There's also one called Music Listography, which obviously is more tailored to the music-lover.

http://www.chapters.indigo.c a/book...la&sf=Auth or

I can't believe I just thought of this... maybe I'll gift it to a few people, too!

p.s. This is recommended for people who actually like to write stuff down. Obviously. Some people aren't into that.
this sounds perfect, i realized she loves to write and keeps journals and stuff, so shell love this !!! thank you

and also i kept it broad cus i just wanted to know in general what people tend to get girls, you dont have to suggest stuff for the types i described what have you gotten others before that they loved (or hated) ...

Last edited by Chevalier : 12-05-2011 at 11:10 AM.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:11 AM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Let's hope that girl #1 doesn't find this thread and think she's worth less.

Desda says thanks to Entropy for this post.

Old 12-05-2011 at 11:16 AM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Let's hope that girl #1 doesn't find this thread and think she's worth less.
lol neither girls go to mac so im safe..... trust me i thought this through

Desda says thanks to Chevalier for this post.

lizziepizzie, waldo92 like this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:53 AM   #12
merc67

Liked: 17 Times

instead of offering you gifts for them i'm going to list a couple gifts that i've received from male friends over the time that I've really appreciated
-a picture frame with an image if us in it (one of those where you can put like 5 diff pics)
-stuff that i've randomly needed but never seem to have :water-bottle, clipboard, oddities, laptop case (depending on the relationship with the girls you this could be like a joke like oh here i notice you never have this or your using mine...so here you go)
-a neo cube which is awesome
-books
-things that go with things i kinda collect so like a shell necklace.

I think most girls expect a gift from a guy dependant upon his personality and probably the length of the relationship like i'd never expect a gift from a sporty guy friend to be a book i'd more expect a gift card for an activity we share.
try to find something that represents something you share together.
Hope this helps!

Desda says thanks to merc67 for this post.

Chevalier likes this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 01:59 PM   #13
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
this sounds perfect, i realized she loves to write and keeps journals and stuff, so shell love this !!! thank you

and also i kept it broad cus i just wanted to know in general what people tend to get girls, you dont have to suggest stuff for the types i described what have you gotten others before that they loved (or hated) ...
I'm glad you like my idea! I was also thinking... I suspect you won't remember this because you're a guy, and this may seem totally retro, but I remember in the 90's my sister and I used to have these boxes called "Caboodles" and they were the coolest things ever then. Every girl had one. Anyway, I'd love it if someone got me one. My sister always used hers for makeup but I just used mine for random little odds and ends. I loved it. I think girls usually do use them for makeup... but they're more advertised as an organizer. So you can use them for whatever you want!

http://www.caboodles.com/#/home

The website says you can get them from Walmart.

I don't know if this gift is too "girly." Also, I completely forgot about Caboodles until I read an article about "Things We Loved From the 90s" in Cosmopolitan. >>On an unrelated note, "Things From the 90s We Will Never Say Again"- Chillin' Like A Villain. But I still say that. ahahaha

EDIT: I was also thinking (boy, I wish I had all these ideas for the Guys thread!) about those environmentally friendly products. I have a pencil case made from three Kool-Aid Jammers drink boxes. It would be a really cool present because it's not something you'd think to buy for yourself but you'd enjoy it all the same. You can also get wallets and things similar. To add to that, you could get little things to put nside the pencil case, such as her favourite candy or just knick-knacks.

I think there's a store in Dundas that has these.

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 12-05-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 02:31 PM   #14
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Understandable that you want general ideas. Here's some ideas, however the first 3 you probably wouldn't give to a non-SO.

1. A box, made completely from scratch, planks of wood he picked up from some store and his dad's woodworking tools. It's the perfect size for keeping letters he's written and other small things. I was completely blown away by the amount of work he put into it.

2. A book box. I'd made this for him the previous year. I bought a thickish textbook, used a scalpel (an exacto knife will work too) to cut out the inside portion, and glued together certain pages. It's deeper than it looks. Instructions for how to do this are easily Googleable.

3. A nice notebook/sketchbook/picture album with pictures from times when the two of you have been together. Pretty simple. Writing a story to go along with it worked nicely.

4. A plant. They're a nice touch to add to a bedroom. Something hardy and easy to take care of is best, I think (unless the person is great with plants or something), bonus points if you put it together yourself. That always makes it more personal. You can buy bamboo plants Chinese store at Jackson Square for quite a good price, and then you can buy river rocks and bowls/vases to put them in at Dollarama. The same Chinese store sells them complete with containers and rocks, if you don't want to put one together yourself.

I have more ideas, but I need to go tutor now. I'll post more later.

Desda says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

Chevalier, Desda like this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 03:40 PM   #15
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
...you probably wouldn't give to a non-SO.
Sorry if I come off as a noob or ignorant, but what's that?