MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas Gifts for Guys lizziepizzie General Discussion 43 12-14-2011 05:57 PM
Daily game Feb 09 : Icy Gifts Chad Daily Game 0 02-09-2011 04:41 AM
Best Holiday Gifts lizziepizzie General Discussion 35 12-29-2010 10:56 PM
what do YOU want for christmas?!? Botchio Dating & Relationships 63 12-11-2010 06:34 PM

Christmas Gifts for Girls

Old 12-05-2011 at 03:56 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Sorry if I come off as a noob or ignorant, but what's that?
non significant other

Amaryll, justinsftw all say thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 12-05-2011 at 04:02 PM   #17
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Steam games
Lingerie
Socks

Kthx.

Edit:

Draw her a picture or hand-make a card... <3
Old 12-05-2011 at 05:32 PM   #18
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Steam games
Lingerie
Socks

Kthx.

Edit:

Draw her a picture or hand-make a card... <3
I agree with the card! I'd rather get a hand-made card than a present.
Old 12-05-2011 at 06:34 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Depending how close you guys are, you could ask her parents (if you've met them before). Most people usually give Christmas lists to their parents, and you can ask them if there's anything you can buy her off that list.
Old 12-05-2011 at 07:03 PM   #20
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

To continue my list:

5. Posters. Of course, pick in accordance with what she likes. A male friend of mine gave me a pretty sweet poster of a katana last year, because he knew that I like samurai and weapons in general.

6. Geeky stuff, if they're into that. For example, I designed this mug last year, and have so far given out about 3 as gifts and kept one for myself. It's all the elements, with size according to atomic number and location being roughly alphabetic.

7. Personalized stuff is always great and takes a bit more thought.
a) Shot glasses. You can glaze them using Armour Etch and stencils cut from overhead sheets. The former can be bought online, and probably at hardware stores. The latter can be bought from the Underground in MUSC. If you just want text, there are stores that will do that for you, but if you want images you'll hve to do it yourself.
b) Personalized jewelry. You can make these yourself, or buy them online or in stores. I've given away a lot of these as birthday gifts, people tend to really like them. They even work for guys, if I put them on a black chord instead of a silver chain.
c) Personalized bookmarks. I've made one myself--bought a simple wooden bookmark and attached one of the vials from b), with a flower petal and a grain of rice in it.
8. Decorative crafts. For example, origami stars in a jar! You can cut the paper yourself or buy it online. For Christmas, you could also put them in a clear glass ornament, as those aren't hard to take apart.

9. Chocolate. Oh how I adore chocolate. Chocolate is amazing. Especially Lindt. ♥

...yep, I like making stuff. And chocolate.

Desda says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

Chevalier, Desda like this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 11:48 AM   #21
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

I just sent this entire thread to my guy friends who are asking what to get girls for Christmas.

Chevalier, ikantsepll like this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 11:56 AM   #22
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Something that would trigger a smile/happiness
in that person

Chevalier, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 01:43 PM   #23
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Girls like shiny things. Trust.

http://www.tiffany.ca

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 02:52 PM   #24
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post

A man after my own heart. I actually wanted these earrings but I wasn't going to ask anyone for them:

ikantsepll, sarahsullz like this.
Old 12-06-2011 at 03:48 PM   #25
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post

as a uni kid i doubt i have the budjet for those ... sorry but pockets are running dry and fast this month ><
Old 12-06-2011 at 03:54 PM   #26
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
as a uni kid i doubt i have the budjet for those ... sorry but pockets are running dry and fast this month ><
This is just me personally, but I don't care if they're actually Tiffany or not. One of the vendors that comes to MUSC (the lady with the knock-off designer bags) also has knock-off Tiffany. The earrings I posted are $140 if you get the actual Tiffany ones (which I think is ridiculous for sterling silver!), but I'd be quite happy with the fake ones for $35. *HINT for anyone I know reading this thread*

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 12-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.

ikantsepll, sarahsullz like this.
Old 12-08-2011 at 09:46 PM   #27
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
so i thought id take lizzies idea and do one for girls

so what are good gifts to give girls, and i know alot of you will just say perfume, make-up, jewellery, etc, but not all girls like that kind of stuff, especially from guys, and some prefer to get other things...

... so in a way it should read Christmas gifts for girls from guys....

any ways on a personal note i need to get gifts for 2 very different girls
- one is very shy and quiet, petite, very sweet. shes not the type to like too much makeupy stuff and does not like things which get used up, and she has clearly hinted at no teddy bears (thinks they are over rated), hoping for something $20 or under
- the other one is the opposite in terms of personality. she's definitely an extrovert, speaks her mind, and not at all the shy/quiet/sweet type. she wears make-up and all that stuff but i also don't want to get her makeupy stuff or things like that. hoping for something $30 or under

so does anyone have any ideas, for something unique that i can get them.???
Personally I think that perfume or makeup would be something to stay away from because it's one of those things that many girls are very particular about, unless of course you know of a specific kind they already wear/use (just a tip for any guys thinking about those as gifts). And of course there are girls that aren't really into that stuff anyway like the first one you described.

I do however think that jewellery can be a nice gift if you know a girl's taste well. One of my friends got me a Pandora bracelet last year and I really liked it. Personalized gifts are always great, I got one of my friends an initial necklace a few years ago and she loved it. A book is great if the girl enjoys reading. If she collects anything special, you could get something that she can add to her collection. A poster, album or t-shirt of one of her favourite bands/artists if she's into music. I think that getting someone something that they would use and enjoy that they would never buy themselves is always a great idea too.
Old 12-13-2011 at 09:33 AM   #28
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Old 12-13-2011 at 11:16 AM   #29
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Personally, I get a ton of make-up, bath stuff, jewellery, and odd household decoration stuff from relatives and they all get returned or re-gifted. I don't wear make-up or jewellery. I don't take baths, and I have enough shower gel and soap to last me till 2013. And I really don't need a dozen of those picture frames that can hold multiple pictures or word stencils with unoriginal phrases to cover my bedroom wall with.

The best gift I got from a male friend was a bunch of bags of candies with Super Heroes and old cartoon characters on the packages (which he bought after Halloween when they were on sale) and old retro candies. It was awesome, and we spent the day eating it together until our stomach's killed. It was great because he knew that it was the kind of thing I'd like, and not something that I would get from everyone else who didn't know what to get a girl for Christmas.

So my advice to you is to either ask them what they want for Christmas, or really think about their hobbies and interests, and pick something based on those. A personal gift is always 100% better than just buying off of the "Top 10 Christmas Gifts to Give This Season" list.

Also, I'd avoid makeup because most girls I know who wear makeup, are very picky/specific on what brand they use.

Desda likes this.
Old 12-13-2011 at 11:32 AM   #30
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

For Girl #1:
I thought this was kinda neat:
http://www.smencils.com/original.html
+ a novel to go with it.

For Girl #2:
I agree with kangs6, scarves n mitts! or a knitted animal hat
something like this maybe:
http://www.instructables.com /image...-Panda-Hat.jpg