MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
Question about grad schools/averages Kathy2 Academics 18 01-01-2010 01:47 PM
averages maryam17 Academics 4 12-23-2009 12:37 AM
Second year science- Cutoff Averages macsci General Discussion 1 04-04-2009 10:32 PM

Class Averages

Old 01-08-2010 at 09:57 AM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-gal View Post
Is there somewhere we could find the class average for our classes last semester?

I'm really curious as to if I was above or below average - just to judge how I'm doing in comparasion to others in my program.
I don't know for sure, but from talking to people, and from the averages the kin profs posted after each midterms I think the averages were around a 7 or an 8, which would make sense as we need a 6 average to stay in right?
Old 01-08-2010 at 10:49 AM   #17
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't really see the point of lying. I always tell people the truth about what I got, no matter how bad it is. It's a motivator to do better :p
I think it's because I'm embarassed by low marks sometimes. If someone says they got an A on an assignment and I got a C+, I really don't want to admit that. :(

I'd also like to know class marks so I can see my chances of getting into grad school. It's killing me not having ANY idea of where I stand.
Old 01-08-2010 at 10:55 AM   #18
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

The way i see it, if someone asks you how you did, that means they did well (if you got bad and are ashamed, you wouldnt want to put yourself in a position where you have to admit a mark your not proud of).

Then again, they might ask in order to see if other people are in their boat.

3 cheers for my post contradicting itself.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-08-2010 at 11:08 AM   #19
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

personally, i don't really care whether individual people did better or worse than i did. i do ask people their marks to try and get an idea of whether i did better or worse than the average.(which is why they should post averages)
Old 01-08-2010 at 11:26 AM   #20
lbqjenny

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
The way i see it, if someone asks you how you did, that means they did well (if you got bad and are ashamed, you wouldnt want to put yourself in a position where you have to admit a mark your not proud of).

Then again, they might ask in order to see if other people are in their boat.

3 cheers for my post contradicting itself.
Hahahah, I usually do the opposite. I will ask others' marks if i did bad and Ill know how big the difference is!! hahah!
Old 01-08-2010 at 12:49 PM   #21
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Thats why its good when they post everyones mark with their student # for eng tests. Get to see the class avg
Apparently the math test marks posted by Dr. Protas are not supposed to be posted without the permission of each individual student. Its illegal actually according to my mech professor Dr. McDermid...

I agree though some sort of class average should be shown to the class just to get an idea where you stand overall.
Old 01-08-2010 at 12:52 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Apparently the math test marks posted by Dr. Protas are not supposed to be posted without the permission of each individual student. Its illegal actually according to my mech professor Dr. McDermid...
Protas is above the law. They know that he'll whip out the photon cannons and carriers if they don't let him do what he wants.
Old 01-08-2010 at 01:50 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think it's because I'm embarassed by low marks sometimes. If someone says they got an A on an assignment and I got a C+, I really don't want to admit that. :(

I'd also like to know class marks so I can see my chances of getting into grad school. It's killing me not having ANY idea of where I stand.
It doesn't matter much where you stand within your McMaster peers for admission into Grad school since it's not only McMaster students that are applying... That's why I said that knowing where I stand isn't so important that I would contact my professors. If you want to know your chances of getting into grad school you should check out their previous admissions. But you should note that admission is not solely based on marks.

lbqjenny likes this.
Old 01-08-2010 at 03:31 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It doesn't matter much where you stand within your McMaster peers for admission into Grad school since it's not only McMaster students that are applying... That's why I said that knowing where I stand isn't so important that I would contact my professors. If you want to know your chances of getting into grad school you should check out their previous admissions. But you should note that admission is not solely based on marks.
I know all that. But it's likely that most program averages are similar across universities. If I know the average for my program at Mac, other schools might be close to that. I just don't have any idea about anything and it's very frustrating.
Old 01-08-2010 at 05:35 PM   #25
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

"grad school at uft for example requires close to 4.0 gpa in order to be qualified." - grad student
Old 01-08-2010 at 08:51 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I usually ask how people did if I really blew the exam to assess whether it was more my lack of preparation or simply the exam itself. This never works out for me as usually the people I ask end up with some mark in the A range , even if I choose different people. I never end up getting an accurate answer (damn you, sampling error) which is good in some way I suppose because I take more responsibility for the mark and work to do better for the next one.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences