MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classics 1A03, Classics 1B03 ??? Guest253 Academics 5 06-10-2010 10:03 AM
Classics, anyone? Shmowen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-06-2009 07:16 PM
Anyone take Classics 1M03 before? Bearzin Academics 0 01-02-2009 11:34 PM
Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03?? Guest253 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-04-2008 07:53 AM

Classics 1M03

Old 08-10-2011 at 05:08 PM   #1
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Classics 1M03
Hey,

Did anyone take this course, if so can you please comment on it? How many essays did you have to write and what was the mark breakdown, who is a good prof to have this class with, etc. Thanks,

herBs
Old 08-10-2011 at 05:39 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I took it last year with Snowdon. I had him as a TA the previous year too, for a different class. It was his first year as a prof, so he wasn't perfect, but he knows his shit. I don't think he's teaching it this year though.

There was 1 essay for 25%, and I think was standard in previous years with other profs too. I spent a whole 3 hours on it the night before it was due, and walked away with a decent mark on it. If you put in a good effort, the essay is easy. His exams were entirely long answer and essay, but you had more than enough time to write it all, if you studied properly going into it.

The course itself is pretty cool. Lots of wars, death, conspiracies, etc to keep you interested, and regardless of who you get as a prof, they'll be good. every classics prof I've had so far has been pretty kick-ass.

anonanon987 says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:56 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Hm thanks Mark, but I'm not a strong essay writer at all. Would you still recommend me taking it?
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:16 PM   #4
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I took it last year with Corner. The only gripe I have is that he is kind of a boring lecturer for an 830 class, but other than that it was interesting, not heavy readings, etc. Basically all you want from an elective. We had like, 2-3 mini "assignments" about source citations and good thesis writing and what not, and one major essay. The exam was like, 5 identifications and an essay as well. The course was pretty good.

anonanon987 says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:26 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Hm okay, I decided not to go with this but with LABR ST 1A03 . Thanks though Jesse