MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Cootes Clean-up Kareko MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-15-2010 05:40 AM
Cootes Clean-up mmmdert MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-13-2010 09:14 PM
Community Clean-Up! laurastevens MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-06-2010 05:06 PM

Clean Your Whole House in 20 Minutes A Day

From Offbeat Home

I am not a cleaning person. I feel anxious when I’m in a space that isn’t clean - more clutter than grime - but I’m definitely the type of person who leaves most deep-cleaning to the week when I move out of an apartment.

However, my husband and I bought a house last fall, and now I work from home. I don’t want to feel anxious in the space I'm in all day. Additionally, we’re the type of people who like to host things, and keeping the house neat makes it less stressful to do this.

You can see how these two issues are in conflict, right? I'm not a neat freak, but messes make me anxious. It's like a feedback loop of self-perpetuating punishment.

Luckily, I've developed new habits to break the loop — and they can be helpful to anyone who is less-than-eager to scrub the toilets regularly. A while ago I found a post called How to Clean Your House in 20 Minutes a Day for 30 Days. It combines the ways I like to handle cleaning — in short bursts and with timers — and helps me keep up with 2400 square feet of House. If you're ready to embark on a new cleaning experience, I'd advise that you get a piece of paper (or open your calendar, or put it in a Google Doc; whatever will help you look at The Rules every day and keep up with each days' "assignment").

Here are the rules, some outlined by the original post, some added for my own regimen:
  • Clean up after each meal. This only takes a few minutes and is a case of "a stitch in time saves nine." If you spend 5-10 minutes rinsing dishes and wiping down the counter as soon as you're through with dinner, you won't spend 15-20 minutes cleaning crud off the dishes later. Even if it doesn't save time, cleaning up after meals ensures that kitchen is an uncluttered, relaxing, smell-free space.
  • Do a little laundry each day. Or every other day. Or every third day. Whatever works for your household. We're just two people so I try to wash one load and fold the previous load every third day. It keeps the laundry basket from overflowing onto our bedroom floor, and keeps us from searching frantically for a beloved shirt, only to find it at the bottom of the hamper.
  • Set a timer. Most tasks really don't need more than 20 minutes, and it's hard to justify not having time for only 20 minutes each day. So set your timer, and stick to it. Knowing that it's only 20 minutes keeps you from avoiding the task — but if you get in the habit of going over your own boundary you may start avoiding the assignment.
  • Set a date to clean. I do my 20 minutes either first thing in the morning or over my lunch break — being self-employed allows for conveniences like that. Whether you choose to put in 20 as soon as you get home from work, while you're waiting on dinner or early in the morning, making it a ritual makes it harder to avoid.

Next, set aside about 25 minutes to create your monthly assignments. Each day gets one task. Take a look at the original post for ideas — I liked the mix of "light" tasks (surface clean the living room) and deep cleaning tasks (clean out the refrigerator and pantry). However, not all of the tasks are necessary in my house, so I've made my own 30-day assignment list, customized to fit our lives. Put your list somewhere you can easily access it.

Finally, hold yourself accountable but don't fret if you slack off. If you miss a couple days a week you're probably still cleaning more than you otherwise would. Brush off the guilty feelings (I had them pretty much all of January, since I dropped my schedule after Christmas) and pick it up again.
Like many people, I had chores as a kid and was expected to help keep the house tidy. Even so, somehow I didn't learn how to keep house. If the same is true for you, you'll probably find it's very helpful to spend time actually crafting an approach to cleaning.

Editor's Note: I love the entire Offbeat Empire (Offbeat Bride, Offbeat Mama and now Offbeat Home) even though the first two have nothing to do with me in my current life stage. The people who write articles manage to find a lot of neat stuff. Or, you can use a lot of the articles in ways that apply to you.

micadjems likes this.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-09-2011 at 01:01 PM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
20 minutes? Try 10 seconds:

In all honesty though, the article seemed pretty obvious to me. It can pretty much be summed up as do a little cleaning everyday rather than a lot of cleaning all at once(this is also a good idea for studying/schoolwork).

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-09-2011 at 01:09 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
20 minutes? Try 10 seconds:

In all honesty though, the article seemed pretty obvious to me. It can pretty much be summed up as do a little cleaning everyday rather than a lot of cleaning all at once(this is also a good idea for studying/schoolwork).
So was she a midget or was the couch giant?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-09-2011 at 01:11 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
So was she a midget or was the couch giant?
the show was the BIG comfy couch.

Old 03-09-2011 at 08:18 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
"Do a little laundry each day. Or every other day. Or every third day. Whatever works for your household. We're just two people so I try to wash one load and fold the previous load every third day. It keeps the laundry basket from overflowing onto our bedroom floor, and keeps us from searching frantically for a beloved shirt, only to find it at the bottom of the hamper."

That seems kind of strange. So she's letting a load of clean laundry sit for three days before putting it away..? That doesn't seem very tidy.
I thought everyone just did their laundry once a week.
Old 03-10-2011 at 09:11 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
"Do a little laundry each day. Or every other day. Or every third day. Whatever works for your household. We're just two people so I try to wash one load and fold the previous load every third day. It keeps the laundry basket from overflowing onto our bedroom floor, and keeps us from searching frantically for a beloved shirt, only to find it at the bottom of the hamper."

That seems kind of strange. So she's letting a load of clean laundry sit for three days before putting it away..? That doesn't seem very tidy.
I thought everyone just did their laundry once a week.
I'm actually notorious for letting clean laundry sit around. I hate putting it away (I'd much rather do the other steps).

If I could, I'd actually do laundry a few times a week. I find doing it all at once more laborious than splitting it up as well. That's what my mom has always done, and it's worked for my family.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Article Tools