MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clubfest 2010 luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 09-08-2010 06:07 AM
Clubfest & Sidewalk sale **jewel 03** General Discussion 3 08-08-2009 11:33 PM
For the Clubfest thing Goce Academics 5 09-03-2008 05:25 PM
ClubFest II! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-17-2007 10:41 AM

Clubfest... what did you think?

Old 09-03-2008 at 05:05 PM   #1
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Clubfest... what did you think?
Hey so today was clubfest, I was most excited for this event because Mac seems to have a lot of great clubs. So what did you guys think?

Though sometimes it seemed like you were walking through The Gap ("Join my club!" .... and even some "Join my religion" pressure...[some christian groups pressured us to join even tho we said we weren't Christian]) i found clubfest to be informative and found out about interesting clubs that I had not considered before.

Wasn't there A LOT of chinese groups? What happened... did they used to be one huge super group and then split apart cuz of some beef lol... yeah i dunno i just noticed there were a lot and quite a few had the same purpose. I dunno, what do you think of cultural groups? Are they meant to spread the culture to others or just to include people only from a particular cultural groups?
Old 09-03-2008 at 05:11 PM   #2
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

I really wanna check out the clubs, but I had slept in (because of the Engineering thing yesterday as well as the Nightwish concert in Toronto... came back after 2:30 am, and I'm dead tired). I just hope there's another day to check out these clubs, because I really want to see what kind of clubs there are; and maybe I'll even be interested in joining one.
Old 09-03-2008 at 06:47 PM   #3
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

I love it.. I learned about a bunch of clubs I didn't know about, got some free stuff (yay macinsiders toque!), and got a lot of questions answered. I'm disappointed that the rowing info night is the same time as faculty night though. :(
Old 09-03-2008 at 06:52 PM   #4
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
I really wanna check out the clubs, but I had slept in (because of the Engineering thing yesterday as well as the Nightwish concert in Toronto... came back after 2:30 am, and I'm dead tired). I just hope there's another day to check out these clubs, because I really want to see what kind of clubs there are; and maybe I'll even be interested in joining one.
WHAT?! Nightwish concert in Toronto???

Goddammit McMaster. You've screwed me once again.

As for the clubs, there were a lot of them and there was a lot of variety...though variety in the sense that many of the clubs were like..."niche clubs" is the best way I can describe it, like the "Mixed Asian and Mediterranean Unicycle Knife-Juggling Golf Club."

Last edited by wintermelon : 09-03-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2008 at 06:54 PM   #5
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Wasn't there A LOT of chinese groups? ?
It's necessary to offset the white-ness of this place.

Minorities FTW!
Old 09-03-2008 at 07:00 PM   #6
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
It's necessary to offset the white-ness of this place.

Minorities FTW!
You know, I was shocked by the number of caucasian ppl I had seen..damn..Im a minority..

Old 09-03-2008 at 07:05 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
You know, I was shocked by the number of caucasian ppl I had seen..damn..Im a minority..
Yeah really, I think I'm one of the biggest visible minorities. I'm not sad about it, I just hope everyone else is as open-minded as I am.
Old 09-03-2008 at 08:10 PM   #8
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

What i don't understand is that for diversity, why are there groups created that specifically segregate people. I dunno, but isn't there a bit of irony in that logic ??? :(

Anyways, I just hope there is some sort of anime club. As nerdy as that may sound, I don't know many people that enjoy it as much (if not more) as I do, and it'd be nice to meet up with some people to talk about that kind of stuff
Old 09-03-2008 at 08:16 PM   #9
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah, there is an anime club. It's called OSAMU I think. I really wanted to join the archery club, but I don't think they had a table :(
Old 09-03-2008 at 08:24 PM   #10
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Hahah and yes, Nightwish was amazing
Loved it, and bought the t-shirt as well as a flag/banner for 7 Days to the Wolves. I'm still droolin' over it
Old 09-03-2008 at 08:43 PM   #11
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
If you think thats bad, you should see Hamilton mountain. I've been so used to it, I feel kinda out of place when I am surrounded by tons of non-caucasians in Toronto/Markham (I am Indian, which is the sad part)
Old 09-03-2008 at 09:27 PM   #12
conradchi

Liked: 0 Times

Clubsfest was awesome... although it was really hot! And I failed to find the MacInsiders booth, so that was really depressing =(
Old 09-03-2008 at 10:31 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

yep yep there is an anime club, I think i will join it too... its just like highschool.
Old 09-03-2008 at 10:57 PM   #14
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradchi View Post
Clubsfest was awesome... although it was really hot! And I failed to find the MacInsiders booth, so that was really depressing =(
i couldn't find the macinsiders booth either! :(

Old 09-03-2008 at 10:59 PM   #15
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
.... and even some "Join my religion" pressure...
lol.. i had that type of encounter... so afterwards i steered clear of that corner. ahaha.