MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clubfest 2010 luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 09-08-2010 06:07 AM
Clubfest & Sidewalk sale **jewel 03** General Discussion 3 08-08-2009 11:33 PM
For the Clubfest thing Goce Academics 5 09-03-2008 05:25 PM
ClubFest II! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-17-2007 10:41 AM

Clubfest... what did you think?

Old 09-03-2008 at 11:14 PM   #16
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I didnt like clubsfest. I felt that it was overcrowded and there were too many cl;ubs there. Last year it was half the size and a lot more accessible. I couldnt move.
Old 09-03-2008 at 11:26 PM   #17
a-max

Liked: 0 Times

saw the macinsiders booth and got the touque and met the great Chad. For some reason I imagined him as a much taller person...
Old 09-03-2008 at 11:27 PM   #18
stevenback7

Liked: Liked 3 Times

CLUBFEST was awesome, learned about a lot of clubs and signed up for a couple.

I did check out the macinsiders table, and met mitch (ya ya).

But I saw no atheist club or anything. And why is there so many clubs targeting a specific country/ region but none for the caucasians?
Old 09-03-2008 at 11:40 PM   #19
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenback7 View Post
CLUBFEST was awesome, learned about a lot of clubs and signed up for a couple.

I did check out the macinsiders table, and met mitch (ya ya).

But I saw no atheist club or anything. And why is there so many clubs targeting a specific country/ region but none for the caucasians?
i also met mitch. haha.

oh and the atheist club... MASH... (mcmaster athiest/agnostic secular humanists) were really close to the macinsiders table... maybe u just missed it... but after visiting their booth.. it seemed rather lack lustre to me.
Old 09-04-2008 at 12:35 AM   #20
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

You're right about the ethnic niche-ness of some of the clubs, I always noticed that too - like there's a regular "McMaster Whatever Society" and then a "McMaster Chinese Whatever Society." They have to let you join regardless of ethnicity, but you may feel a tad out of place in it if you don't have that background.

And as for the caucasian-ness.....just know that probably a lot of people are looking around Mac saying "look at all the minorities here, I've never seen anything like it". It all depends on your point of view and what you're used to around where you live. Mac is much more diverse than some schools, and less than others. The important thing is that everyone manages to appreciate each other's diversity.
Old 09-04-2008 at 12:45 AM   #21
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Although it was really hot and it was crowded, I actually liked clubfest. I liked the fact that there was a club for practically anything. My friends and I were joking about how you would probably find a club called the "Random Club" for people to join just for the heck of it. But yeah, I joined a whole bunch of clubs and services. Just hope I don't get too involved and lose track of my studies. Oh and I did check out the macinsiders table and I also met Mitch.
Old 09-04-2008 at 07:45 AM   #22
Sohaibb

Liked: 0 Times

I thought it was good, but like some people said before,

It was a bit too crowded at some points, especially inside the student centre building,

Some of the clubs that were listed were not there (I tripled checked the places where they were suppose to be, but they were not),

A lot of the associations seem to have the same purpose and basically just different titles, but I never talked to each of them individually so its only an assumption,

However, there was a lot of clubs and tons to choose from. There was always someone to talk to you and help out and overall I thought it was nice, it really got me excited for the upcoming year.
Old 09-04-2008 at 08:03 PM   #23
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I wrote my name down for some Asian club.

Then I walked around and found *another* Asian club and they gave me a flyer or something and I was thinking "... Um... I already wrote my name down for another one... wouldn't being in two Asian clubs be awkward...?"

Then on MSN someone told me there was yet *another* club and that the club I wrote my name down for wasn't as good. When I asked why he's just like "I dunno, I just heard it wasn't" and said something about them branching off @[email protected]

I spent most of my time at clubsfest playing Brawl though.
Old 09-04-2008 at 08:15 PM   #24
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Brawl? What? Where???
Old 09-04-2008 at 09:32 PM   #25
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
If you think thats bad, you should see Hamilton mountain. I've been so used to it, I feel kinda out of place when I am surrounded by tons of non-caucasians in Toronto/Markham (I am Indian, which is the sad part)
lol Im from scarborough so for me, this was a HUGE change..

Diversity loses its effect outside Toronto..Scarbz aint always the safest part of the city, but it sure it multicultural!

@Wintermelon: The man is referring to Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii..that looked cool but I rly dont have time to play..now that im an engineer...

Im suprised a lot of you didnt see the Macinsiders booth, it wasnt too flashy but I met the beast (Mitch) and the legend (Chad)..two great individuals

Old 09-04-2008 at 09:48 PM   #26
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Well,
I was the sexy nurse promoting Hospital Helpers, so I had lots of fun! I apologize here to any of you that I scared...it was all in good fun
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:41 PM   #27
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Brawl? What? Where???
they are referng to a club for video game players called Interactive knights
and I didnt find the macinsiders booth either but I did try to be direct and quick cause of all the crowding so I could very well have run right by it

personally I enjoyed it, I already knew mostly what I'd really like to join so anything else was just bonus.

though I did get a "join our Asian group" thing and found it funny since I'm Caucasian I think it would definatley be awkward lol
I managed to avoid all the religious groups though
Old 09-04-2008 at 10:54 PM   #28
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post

@Wintermelon: The man is referring to Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii..that looked cool but I rly dont have time to play..now that im an engineer...
Yeah I know! Where was this though?!
Old 09-05-2008 at 12:31 AM   #29
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

i misssed almost of it..i had rez activities being in Keyes we had a fear factor thing...can i still sign up for clubs is there a website..thanks
Old 09-05-2008 at 04:52 PM   #30
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

For everyone that is interested in all the clubs Mac has to offer, you can search on the clubs website, here.

And none of you got to meet the infamous me because I had to work until noon and then had Maroons stuff to go to right after.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement