MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoor Rec clubs McMasterOutd Athletics & Recreation 0 08-24-2011 03:44 PM
Clubs niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 02:07 PM
Joining Clubs Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 09-08-2009 12:20 PM
clubs caitmcmanus Clubs & Groups 3 07-05-2009 03:15 PM
clubs/teams zaki First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-04-2008 04:46 PM

Clubs

Old 11-02-2011 at 08:11 PM   #1
forcajovem

Liked: 8 Times

Clubs
Hey,

I am interested in joining some clubs. I wanted to join these clubs initially, but I missed the club sign ups during welcome week and since then I haven't thought too much about it. I have recently been thinking about joining clubs again, since I want to do something else during my spare time.

My concern is, since we are halfway through term one, is there still a way for me to join clubs that have already been formed? It would be a shame for me to have to wait until next year to join. I plan to try and join some clubs once term one is complete and at the start of term two, where I will have more time and it is after all, the start of a new term. What do you guys suggest? Is it still a good time to join some clubs?

And for those of you that have participated, how would you describe your experience? And can you suggest any clubs? I am mainly interested in social clubs, recreational, athletic, something creative. I am open to mostly anything, except religious and dance/music clubs.

PS. Also, is there more club openings at the start of term two?
Old 11-02-2011 at 09:06 PM   #2
person33

Liked: 53 Times

they have another clubsfest at frost week but the msu also has a full listing of clubs on their website and it gives most of the emails of the exec onthere as well so you could email an exec member of a clun you are interested in joining and ask when their next general meeting or event is
Old 11-02-2011 at 10:35 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

1. Theres no wrong time to join a club (although its less awkward at recruiting time such as begining of term 1 and 2 because theres more new people)
2. Take a look at http://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs.htm and see what you're interested in; use search engines, look up the group on facebook, or as the other person suggested, email execs for information or to be put on mailing lists
3. I'd suggest you look in to faculty-specific club (like med-rad club, computer engineering, biomedical engineering, commerce, etc because they tend to be formed by classmates of yours and you can get a lot out of them, also look in to see if theres one based on your graduating year)
4. Some clubs have membership fees, some are free, and some teams require quite significant money investments to support the activities (training room access, travel expenses, uniforms, etc etc), so keep that in mind
5. The best clubs are free
Old 11-04-2011 at 10:48 PM   #4
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

keep in mind also that at this point- you are unlikely to be able to apply for executive positions (if that is your goal), but it is always good to become a general member and then apply once applications become available