MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Mac Clubs... IbrahimH Clubs & Groups 3 09-30-2009 02:27 PM
Clubs niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 02:07 PM
clubs caitmcmanus Clubs & Groups 3 07-05-2009 03:15 PM
Joining clubs kim282 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-06-2008 09:08 AM
clubs/teams zaki First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-04-2008 04:46 PM

Joining Clubs

Old 09-03-2009 at 10:37 PM   #1
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times

Joining Clubs
How many clubs to students typically join? I know it depends on how much time they have and how much time they have to commit to the club, but I'm interested in several clubs, but possibly thinking of being a very "basic" member except for maybe one or two of them that I would really like to get involved in.

Which clubs did you join? How much time do you commit to it?
Old 09-03-2009 at 10:40 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Well, I'm heavily involved in 3 "Clubs". Meaning I spend around 5 hours a week per club helping to plan events and ensure that everything goes smoothly.

I'm signed up with other clubs, but I'm not as involved (but I'm not on executive). It's mostly for informational purposes and enjoyment.

You can commit as much time as you'd like, but if you opt for positions that require more responsibility try to ensure that you don't "slack" compared to the rest of the executive team.
Old 09-03-2009 at 10:51 PM   #3
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

You can join as many as you want. The real question is how many of the meeting will/can you actually going to attend.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:15 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
You can join as many as you want. The real question is how many of the meeting will/can you actually going to attend.
You can sign up for as many clubs as you want during Clubsfest... I personally didn't "join" all the clubs I signed up for because of the commitments and balancing school work. :\ Different clubs demand different er...amounts of time? I'm an exec for a cultural club and the responsibilities are much more demanding.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:16 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
You can sign up for as many clubs as you want during Clubsfest... I personally didn't "join" all the clubs I signed up for because of the commitments and balancing school work. :\
Same here...

I put my name down for like, 5 different clubs and ended up not going to any of them >:
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:24 PM   #6
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Same here...

I put my name down for like, 5 different clubs and ended up not going to any of them >:
Same here. This year i plan on forcing myself to actively participate (this basically means that when I dont go i may take a moment to feel bad about it).
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:27 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I signed up for a whole bunch of clubs, but none of them ever contacted me again (I think they maybe couldn't read my email address).

I did go to the trivia club though, but I only attended a few meetings since most of the people there were unfriendly to newcomers and pretty arrogant.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:31 PM   #8
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Is there a club list? I think I saw it once but I can't find it anymore.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:33 PM   #9
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Should be one on the msu website.

Edit: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs/lis...earchClubs.htm

Serps says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 09-03-2009 at 11:33 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Here you go: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs/lis...earchClubs.htm

Serps, Smeena Deol all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-04-2009 at 01:18 AM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I was actually thinking the same thing as the OP. Looking through the list, I found about 8-10 'clubs' I really liked, but I know that's definitely way too much . Do you guys recommend going to a meeting or two to each before deciding which one to continue with.. or just narrow it downt o begin with =/.. or something else ?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2009 at 02:01 AM   #12
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

When is Clubfest during Welcome Week?
Old 09-04-2009 at 02:06 AM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
When is Clubfest during Welcome Week?
Wednesday for sure, I think the time is 9am to 1pm.
Old 09-04-2009 at 07:32 AM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I was actually thinking the same thing as the OP. Looking through the list, I found about 8-10 'clubs' I really liked, but I know that's definitely way too much . Do you guys recommend going to a meeting or two to each before deciding which one to continue with.. or just narrow it downt o begin with =/.. or something else ?

Thanks!
There are a lot of very similar clubs, for example, Amnesty focuses on human rights as a whole while there are very specific human rights based clubs such as Voices of North Korea. Some clubs are a lot more active than others. For example, we like to have an event every month or every two weeks (once a week in our hectic months). Some clubs have a event once a year or infrequently.

I think it's interesting to get e-mails from different clubs to understand what's going around campus. You only really end up going to a few anyways. I'd say go to clubsfest to get a sense of what's going on and see if you "mesh" well with the group. Sometimes I don't go to meetings due to scheduling issues, but you can always contribute in different ways : )

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 09-04-2009 at 08:10 AM   #15
Smeena Deol
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

how about if you're commuting? wouldn't it perhaps be harder to attend the meetings? and should we still join because i really want to join the punjabi association, South Asian Alliance at McMaster, McMaster Sikh Student Association and a few others. I'm not quite sure if it would be possible to join all the meetings and what not considering i'm coming from brampton :|