MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EWB Referendum mlangille General Discussion 84 03-10-2010 11:10 PM
OPINION - McMaster Campus Choice: The NO side of the Coca-Cola Referendum Debate lorend General Discussion 25 02-05-2010 12:25 AM
OPINION: Coca Cola Referendum - the "Yes" Side of the Debate temara.brown General Discussion 73 02-04-2010 10:05 PM
The Coca-Cola Referendum - Get Informed! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 02:38 PM

Coca Cola Referendum!

Old 01-08-2010 at 09:38 PM   #31
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

I was told last year that we currently, without any exclusivity deal have Coke on 93% of the shelf. That's without getting any benefits of an exclusivity deal.

huzaifa47 says thanks to McIntyre for this post.

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 01-08-2010 at 10:09 PM   #32
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Since I'm a die hard coke fanatic and it sounds like the 100% exclusivity deal would get us more benefits than the current deal it sounds good to me. That said I would like to know more about the benefits of an exclusivity besides the obvious which is having lots of access to glorious, delicious, cold, wonderful Coke, lol.
Old 01-08-2010 at 11:24 PM   #33
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Uhh, we aren't getting any benefits from Coke any longer, at least not according to the current contract(Even the one McMaster Admin went of and signed with Coke this late last year, which is 80-20). The 80-20 split deal doesn't include any significant benefits that the 100% deal does.

Also, the Coke Rep was paid for by the MSU and not Coke. You can take a look at MSU Budget sheets from a few years ago to clearly see that figure.

I'm also currently abstaining from saying my opinion on this until campaign period starts, I was just trying to clear a couple of things up.

In the same light as you said Huzaifa, clear up some things. There is no deal currently. We had to finish the last deal. The original deal was a 10 year contract which McMaster did not reach its tagets for. Because of this they were locked in for another two years to reach those. Coke fulfilled its contractual obligations but McMaster didn't(Most if not all Canadian universities did not since they were created by american school volumes, this has changed since now we know what volumes we are looking at, before we were the second canadian university to sign onto an idea like this).

There is currently NO 80-20 deal signed. The university approached the MSU to ask what they thought about 80-20 because even though the referendum isnt binding on them, they still want to make sure students are on board.

Finally, the Coke rep WAS paid for by Coca-Cola. The MSU received a cheque from Coca-Cola and then used that money for the coke rep, clubs funding and such.

This is no opinion or facts on the upcoming debate. This is strictly information from the past.

ytpos says thanks to Ian Finlay for this post.
Old 01-08-2010 at 11:42 PM   #34
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post

Finally, the Coke rep WAS paid for by Coca-Cola. The MSU received a cheque from Coca-Cola and then used that money for the coke rep, clubs funding and such.
oh okay, if one was to look just at the MSU Budget Sheet accounts it would look as if the Coke Rep section was a cost for the MSU. The Cheque must have been recorded somewhere else? :S

Accounting & me=

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-08-2010 at 11:44 PM   #35
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
oh okay, if one was to look just at the MSU Budget Sheet accounts it would look as if the Coke Rep section was a cost for the MSU. The Cheque must have been recorded somewhere else? :S

Accounting & me=

You could be right that it looks that way, I haven't looked so it may look that way. I do know though that that position was funded by Coca-Cola. Not everything the MSU does makes sense....

Gabriella*, kanthamd like this.
Old 01-13-2010 at 02:56 PM   #36
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

hey , just to let you in on an almost unknown fact there are actually pepsi products on campus , in Divinity college

Afzal, Rossclot all say thanks to Nosh for this post.

mlangille likes this.
Old 01-13-2010 at 04:08 PM   #37
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I think it is good to remind people that this isnt about what you like better, it is about letting coke know that how it goes about its business is not going to be tolerated. We can write letters and protest, but coke only cares about money. If we want coke to listen, we need to take every "coke dollar" we can, and make that money for a substitute product. As a representation of knowledge and human rights, universities need to stand up against this sort of treatment.

Afzal, salad13 like this.
Old 01-13-2010 at 09:39 PM   #38
Gilmour

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
I think it is good to remind people that this isnt about what you like better, it is about letting coke know that how it goes about its business is not going to be tolerated. We can write letters and protest, but coke only cares about money. If we want coke to listen, we need to take every "coke dollar" we can, and make that money for a substitute product. As a representation of knowledge and human rights, universities need to stand up against this sort of treatment.

What are you talking about? All those Canadian workers? Signing contracts like this keep local plants here in Canada! Why should we protest Canadian Jobs? Oh but you're talking about human rights! That makes sense.... kinda how they have the highest percentage of unionized work force that exists in Columbia! Or possibly funding home remodeling so their workers have secure homes so they aren't killed..... or the money they pump into education so they can have educated workers.... I guess we should stand up to those human rights!

florencem. likes this.
Old 01-13-2010 at 09:53 PM   #39
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

coke may not apply the same Canadian working standards in other countries, but if you buy anything made in a developing nation(though i think coke is made here) you are probably getting something made in conditions illegal for canadian workers.

kanthamd, Rossclot, ytpos all say thanks to brendanp for this post.

salad13 likes this.
Old 01-13-2010 at 10:41 PM   #40
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
coke may not apply the same Canadian working standards in other countries, but if you buy anything made in a developing nation(though i think coke is made here) you are probably getting something made in conditions illegal for canadian workers.
Well from what I heard Coke is assembled/manufactured here(for the lack of better word) but its "raw materials" are obtained from Columbia.

Also Coke is alleged to own anywhere from 20%-45% of stakes in their developing world areas. The key figure being that technically you need %51 to be liable for anything the company does. Hence people argue that Coke DOES have influence over what happens.

You guys might want to see this general movie showing at McMaster about Coke on the 2nd of February: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei... 59106&ref=mf

They are showing this video:

I currently don't have an official stance on it but I'm currently trying to figure out both sides by talking to various people.

Old 01-14-2010 at 12:21 AM   #41
creen

Liked: 29 Times

1st. What is Pepsi's offer?
2nd. Get as much money for the university as possible.

Seriously what is the value of campus to these retailers? How much does the local Coke bottler profit from an exclusive deal at McMaster. If you are going to whore yourself out you should get as much money as you can, otherwise the MSU should goto costco load up on cheap cases of pop and sell it themselves.

Also I'm not sure which is better for recycling, cans or plastic bottles, but whichever it is, I'm guessing cans, we should get rid of/ban the other, as well as bottled water that should not be available on campus

ytpos likes this.
Old 01-14-2010 at 12:26 AM   #42
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
...as well as bottled water that should not be available on campus
AGREED!
Old 01-14-2010 at 12:44 AM   #43
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by creen View Post
1st. What is Pepsi's offer?
2nd. Get as much money for the university as possible.

Seriously what is the value of campus to these retailers? How much does the local Coke bottler profit from an exclusive deal at McMaster. If you are going to whore yourself out you should get as much money as you can, otherwise the MSU should goto costco load up on cheap cases of pop and sell it themselves.

Also I'm not sure which is better for recycling, cans or plastic bottles, but whichever it is, I'm guessing cans, we should get rid of/ban the other, as well as bottled water that should not be available on campus
Pepsi doesn't appear to be in the market with an offer; atleast as far as I know. But Pepsi isn't all that awesome too, It has less humanitarian concerns over it but it has destroyed the environment in developing countries :S

The University from what I heard isn't getting all that awesome a deal from Coke EVEN if we go 100%. It won't most definitely be as beneficial to the students as the 2006 one or the ones before it were. I'm not sure of the reason why, probably because they are confident of the level of popularity and market control Coke has at McMaster.

Meaning in other words, the only concerns right now aren't environmental or humanitarian.

We have rational business/economic concerns as well as students, whether getting exclusive Coke on campus eliminating all competition is a good idea now that the deal being offered isn't as good, I.e: having free market competitiveness for consumers

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-14-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2010 at 12:45 AM   #44
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

The thing is, Pepsi is almost definitely not going to give us an offer. At a location where we already drink 80% coke (prior to the exclusivity deal), we would never sell enough to make it worth their while. EDIT: Huzaifa beat me with that one :p

Regardless of what coke does in other countries, the fact is we're getting money for something we would be doing already. I don't get how anyone can reasonably turn that down.
Old 01-14-2010 at 12:49 AM   #45
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Pepsi doesn't appear to be in the market with an offer
Maybe someone should ask them?

Where can I see numbers of the offer? Or the offer itself?