MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cognitive science of language? cassandra82 Academics 1 12-23-2013 11:58 AM
Cognitive Science of Language skgr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-28-2013 07:12 PM
Cognitive Science of Language katyc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 02-04-2013 07:08 PM
Cognitive Science of Language karsyliss First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-09-2012 08:12 PM
Can i still switch into a science program if the pre-reqs done in sem.1 MariaQ Academics 6 08-12-2010 01:13 AM

Cognitive science of language pre reqs?

Old 01-03-2014 at 09:14 PM   #1
cassandra82

Liked: 0 Times

Cognitive science of language pre reqs?
I really want to go into cognitive science of language. Originally my plan was to take ling 1a03/1aa3 this year and take my bio 1po3 & both psych courses next year

BUT
I failed linguistics 1a03. For me, the exam was super hard and I think i fell right below a 50 :( this doesn't discourage me because I would still love to go into Cognitive Science of language, but my question is

Can I pick english as my major, and then retake the Linguistics 1a03, the 1aa3, both psych courses AND bio next year and kinda use it as my 'catch up' year?
I know that sounds super confusing, but if anybody has ANY advice I would seriously appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2014 at 11:10 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Honestly, the best thing you can do is go to an Academic Advisor. They're paid to help people out with situations exactly like yours and probably know a lot more about the program and how to get into it than any student on this forum. Best of luck!

cassandra82 says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 01-04-2014 at 12:43 AM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

You need an average of 5.0 on Ling 1A03, 1AA3 and Psych 1X03 combined and at least a 5.0 CA. You can take these courses in the summer time but I cannot guarantee that you'll get into cog sci on your second year right away even if you have the marks. Like what the above poster said, it's best to talk to the Humanities Academic Advisers. They'll help you in this kind of situation.

cassandra82 says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.
Old 01-04-2014 at 04:35 PM   #4
cassandra82

Liked: 0 Times

I was actually planning on going into cognitive science of language in third year, I just didn't know if I could take that many first year courses in my second year. But thank you!
Old 01-04-2014 at 10:53 PM   #5
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra82 View Post
I was actually planning on going into cognitive science of language in third year, I just didn't know if I could take that many first year courses in my second year. But thank you!
I think the maximum units of level 1 courses you can ever take is 42? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong...) Given your current situation, you're gonna have to stay an extra year just finish your degree...