MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Does this mean they've changed the fridge policy? hitek168 Residence & Housing 11 08-04-2010 04:36 PM
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
Inter Residence Council (IRC) Response to the COLDEX Fridge Policy sarrah66 Residence & Housing 18 07-31-2010 07:03 PM
Coldex New Fridge Policy goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 11 07-29-2010 10:53 PM

Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC)

Hello all,

So I'd like to say something. This is geared towards ALL MCMASTER STUDENTS. Whether you live on-campus, whether you live off-campus, whether you're an upper-year or whether you're a first year.

Everyone - listen.

Let's get real here, because everyone on MacInsiders has heard about the COLDEX Fridge Policy and HOW Housing and Conference Services implemented the policy into the Residence System, etc.

Is this issue about Fridges? Kinda.. sorta.. not really. This is about a lack of student consultation.

After that email from Housing and Conference Services stating that this new Policy would be implemented, there was a series of threads that shot off - it seemed that EVERYONE was against this policy. It seemed like EVERYONE wanted to do something about it.

It was an OUTRAGE.

"Where is the IRC?!" people were saying on the threads. When I read this, I felt guilty. I hadn't been a good student leader, so I created a new thread to address these issues ("IRC's response to Coldex.."). The IRC and the MSU then went to consult with Housing and Conference Services. Clearly, nothing came out of these talks. The Policy is very much still here.

Did we give up? No! A new email address was created to take in student concerns ([email protected] gmail.com). Then I took another approach. This can be seen here:

"Student's Against the COLDEX Fridge Policy" Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1425933 52431104&ref=mf

So, "where is the IRC?!". Well, WE CAME. Now, the question is, where are YOU?

Go to the Facebook group. Join. If you believe in the cause, email the President of the University (Patrick Deane) + the IRC with your complaints... NOW. All the email addresses are provided on that Facebook group (above). Send the same email to both addresses. Don't put this off! Assuming that everyone ELSE is going to go ahead is a very bad assumption.. especially if everyone is making that assumption at the SAME TIME. Net result? Nothing. No impact. Policy stays firmly in place.

The student leaders are doing their parts. It's time to do YOUR part. Complaining on MacInsiders is not going to do anything. Are you an upper-year or not living on-campus? This policy still affects you because it represents the University's ability to change policies which CONCERN STUDENTS in the blink of an eye without CONSULTING STUDENTS! Want this to happen again?

So do it now. Go now, because September will come a lot sooner than you think. And then what, you're going to sneak in fridges right? Don't you think there's something inherently wrong with the fact that you are telling yourself that you have no choice but to SNEAK IN something you believe you should RIGHTFULLY HAVE with you in your building?

Sarrah Lal
Vice-Presidenct Communications
Inter-Residence Council
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-03-2010 at 07:50 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Interestingly, it seems that the new fridge policy isn't unique to Mac. It's happened at Carleton as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-03-2010 at 08:09 AM   #3
crazyfree
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 284 Times
Does Carleton happen to have huge debt as well I wonder..?
Old 08-03-2010 at 09:23 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Does Carleton happen to have huge debt as well I wonder..?
No idea. I'll find out soonish, I suppose. Though they don't have anything like MI, so it may take me some time.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-03-2010 at 12:53 PM   #5
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
It is great that the IRC is taking on gathering more student response to this. The MSU is currently in talks with Senior University Administration that are understanding of the situation and are first hearing about this policy through us. Unfortunately, many of them are on vacation and/or have othe priorities, so while we work on it from this angle, it is great that the IRC is coordinating it from the student complaint angle.

For more information visit: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/news/msuNews.htm
Old 08-03-2010 at 02:15 PM   #6
andrew22
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 238 Times
lol anything less than students being able to bring w/e fridge they wish forever will be a failure!

Last edited by andrew22 : 08-03-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2010 at 03:34 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
It is great that the IRC is taking on gathering more student response to this. The MSU is currently in talks with Senior University Administration that are understanding of the situation and are first hearing about this policy through us. Unfortunately, many of them are on vacation and/or have othe priorities, so while we work on it from this angle, it is great that the IRC is coordinating it from the student complaint angle.

For more information visit: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/news/msuNews.htm
Out of curiosity, from your post on the MSU website it appears that there is both an early bird discount of 10% AND an additional 10% to upper years. Is that correct, or is it just a single 10% discount?

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-03-2010 at 03:43 PM   #8
etoilex3
Program: Anthropology
Year: Second
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 65 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
Out of curiosity, from your post on the MSU website it appears that there is both an early bird discount of 10% AND an additional 10% to upper years. Is that correct, or is it just a single 10% discount?

Thanks for the clarification!
I'm not sure but adding on to this question...does the irc/ msu foresee resolving this before aug 13? Because I would prefer to get the discount if we must order from there, but I'll be really upset if on August 14 they decide to postpone the policy or if they decide not to enforce the policy once we get there. =/.
Old 08-03-2010 at 06:00 PM   #9
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
SciMania - I believe if you fall into both categories it is only a 10% discount, and to clarify it's not just eveyr upper year, it's a student coming into residence for a 2nd year

etoilex3 - I would wait until the end of this week. Talks between the Dean of Students Office and Provosts Office with the MSU are going well. I will keep you posted.

SciMania says thanks to McIntyre for this post.
Old 08-03-2010 at 08:24 PM   #10
Faculty: Arts & Science

Liked: 8 Times
This effort seems to be a huge waste of everyone's resources (except coldex, they'll probably make some cash). Want to fight this? circumvent the policy, bring your own fridge a week later. If Coldex only gets 10 rentals this rule will disappear quickly.

I know this won't happen, it is going to continue to be a cluster for a few more months, and waste everyone's time and effort. I really hope once the protest to the policy loses steam, RM's (hopefully we won't have any CA's who are big enough douches to do it) try to give kid's majors for unofficial fridges. Just because it will be a very humorous over reaction to a non-issue, and really make the school (and policy) look horrible.

You're 17-18; prime screw the system just because it is the system age. Here is your chance to fight the system; and be reasonably legitimate while doing it. Don't waste your first fantastic university opportunity and take this lying down.

andrew22 likes this.
Old 08-03-2010 at 08:31 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 158701 View Post
This effort seems to be a huge waste of everyone's resources (except coldex, they'll probably make some cash). Want to fight this? circumvent the policy, bring your own fridge a week later. If Coldex only gets 10 rentals this rule will disappear quickly.

I know this won't happen, it is going to continue to be a cluster for a few more months, and waste everyone's time and effort. I really hope once the protest to the policy loses steam, RM's (hopefully we won't have any CA's who are big enough douches to do it) try to give kid's majors for unofficial fridges. Just because it will be a very humorous over reaction to a non-issue, and really make the school (and policy) look horrible.

You're 17-18; prime screw the system just because it is the system age. Here is your chance to fight the system; and be reasonably legitimate while doing it. Don't waste your first fantastic university opportunity and take this lying down.
street justice just isn't middleclass enough for mac. they seem to think they should follow admins rules to fight admin.
IRC and msu's official policy should be sneak them in. why not make a frosh event out of it? i wish i had the power to,

sounds liek the beginning of a fun tradition.

Quote:
It was an OUTRAGE.
too cute (:

Last edited by andrew22 : 08-03-2010 at 08:41 PM.

sarrah66 says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search