MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Does this mean they've changed the fridge policy? hitek168 Residence & Housing 11 08-04-2010 04:36 PM
Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC) sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-03-2010 08:31 PM
Protest the McMaster Fridge Policy bcars MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-01-2010 05:42 PM
Inter Residence Council (IRC) Response to the COLDEX Fridge Policy sarrah66 Residence & Housing 18 07-31-2010 07:03 PM

Coldex New Fridge Policy

"I have personally worked with Coldex these last 2 years and we have made some significant strides. All units they supplied McMaster University in 2009-10 were EnergyStar rated, and this is the standard going forward. In addition, if you rent prior to August 13, 2010 you will be guaranteed a brand new unit; please see their updated website for further details."

- Courtesy of details provided by SciMania: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...dge-29702.html

https://secure9.securewebexch ange....m/mcmaster.htm
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2010 at 04:54 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
The Coldex website is so shady.. It looks like it was made by a 12 year old.

Cristina_n13, SciMania like this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-26-2010 at 09:58 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
Their website is very unprofessional... no privacy policy or any policy for that matter to protect your info and they expect you to put in a credit card number!

I'm surprised it's even https secured.

Look at the list of other schools that appear to have fallen for this really bad deal for students:
http://www.coldexrents.com/page12.htm

Unfortunately it doesn't seem the MSU's stance on the matter has had any effect with them changing the new rule.
Old 07-26-2010 at 11:06 AM   #4
etoilex3
Program: Anthropology
Year: Second
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 65 Times
I'm so glad other people have noticed this! I'm using google chrome and it says that it's an insecure site. Which does make me nervous to put a credit card in there...honestly if they are forcing us to order fridges from them, at least make the site secure and professional.

Old 07-28-2010 at 04:23 PM   #5
sarrah66
Program: CHEMICAL BIOLOGY
Year: Third
Residence: WALLY

Liked: 22 Times
Dear McMaster students,

There has been an email account set up to gather student and parent concerns/complaints regarding the COLDEX Fridge Policy. If you have any friends, parents of friends, siblings (or you yourself) who are upset by the implementation of this policy, please urge them to write a letter expressing how they feel about this Policy, how it affects them, and anything else they feel is pertinent to the situation at hand.

Send it to: [email protected] gmail.com

Polite emails please, as this is a matter to be dealt with in a professional manner.

Thanks,

Sarrah Lal
VP Communications 2010-2011
Inter-Residence Council
Old 07-28-2010 at 04:58 PM   #6
SciMania
Elite Member
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrah66 View Post
Dear McMaster students,

There has been an email account set up to gather student and parent concerns/complaints regarding the COLDEX Fridge Policy. If you have any friends, parents of friends, siblings (or you yourself) who are upset by the implementation of this policy, please urge them to write a letter expressing how they feel about this Policy, how it affects them, and anything else they feel is pertinent to the situation at hand.

Send it to: [email protected] gmail.com

Polite emails please, as this is a matter to be dealt with in a professional manner.

Thanks,

Sarrah Lal
VP Communications 2010-2011
Inter-Residence Council
With all due respects, is this a joke? Do they not already know how we feel about this? What about all the emails we sent them already...

They don't have the courtesy to email us personalized responses, rather a stupid automated response...

Now, why should we waste time saying over and over again what should already be quite clear.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:11 PM   #7
etoilex3
Program: Anthropology
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 65 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
With all due respects, is this a joke? Do they not already know how we feel about this? What about all the emails we sent them already...

They don't have the courtesy to email us personalized responses, rather a stupid automated response...

Now, why should we waste time saying over and over again what should already be quite clear.
I agree, I don't fully understand how that's going to help, as the university has already written a standard reply to all emails of concern that have been sent out. I bet they'd send that automated response to the emails from the IRC as well.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:24 PM   #8
sarrah66
Program: CHEMICAL BIOLOGY
Residence: WALLY

Liked: 22 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post

You said yourself that you get an automated response. That implies that your email was not read, correct? A compilation of MANY emails rather than single ones should have a more pronounced effect. If necessary, they can also be all brought forth at the same time to those who are responsible IN PERSON where such an automated response cannot be generated.

If, however, an 'automated response' is obtained after attempting to have IN PERSON consultations with those involved in the implementation of this Policy (i.e. student concerns are heard but not acted upon, and hence disregarded) then the obvious solution would be to take all the student opinions and present them to someone who WILL listen to the voices of students and take action. i.e. perhaps someone 'higher up'.

This is merely an opportunity for you to send your opinion to a place where it will be seriously taken into consideration and taken to those who will listen. The IRC will read your emails. Perhaps that's the ultimate difference.

If you wish to email, please do. If you don't, then that is perfectly fine as well. Please note that time is very effective at diluting the importance of issues such as this. Also note that people tend to stop trying when they see that their efforts are seemingly futile. Perseverance is key and all that is being asked is that you don't lose it.
Old 07-28-2010 at 05:45 PM   #9
hyvaa
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 14 Times
If I remember correctly, you (as in IRC and MSU) probably should have met the residence people already and discussed these things. If I also remember this correctly, there should have been some update on MSU website or something. However, I do not see any.
What happened? What happened at that so-called meeting? I, as a student of McMaster living on residence, need to know what is going on.

Thank you.
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:08 PM   #10
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
Hey Hyvaa,

An update should be posted by tomorrow at the latest. Just waiting for all groups involved to give final feedback on our direction moving forward and you'll all hear.

etoilex3 likes this.
Old 07-28-2010 at 09:54 PM   #11
andr5550
Program: Music
Residence: Hedden

Liked: 3 Times
I very even received a generic email from mac, i got nothing in response to the email i sent
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:53 PM   #12
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
Update: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/news/msuNews.htm

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search