Combined Honours with OSAP kc540 Financial Aid 24 06-08-2010 10:41 PM
Applying for Combined Honours Shmowen Academics 3 03-18-2010 09:32 AM

Combined Honours

Old 05-30-2011 at 09:04 PM   #1
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Combined Honours
So I just got accepted into all of my chosen programs, but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding. I was set on Honours English, but I'm having doubts now and can't come to a decision. Basically, it is between Honours English or Honours English and Theatre and Film Studies. So, naturally, I have a couple of questions.
1. Is a combined honours program virtually a double major?
2. How would I go about selecting a timetable (i.e. would I have any electives)?
3. Since I was originally planning Honours English with a minor in History, I was thinking of going to teacher's college after my undergrad. How would a combined honours in English and Theatre & Film Studies affect that?
Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:09 PM   #2
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

1. Yes its a double major
2. It depends on the requirements for your majors. I'm in Honours History/Linguistics and I've got a fairly good amount of electives this year (4th) and I had a few last year too so I wouldn't worry that you won't get any.
3. You can still do a double major with a minor, but in this case you really won't have any electives since your minor will take over your electives. I suppose for teacher's college, theater and film would count as drama?

J. Dorey says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:12 PM   #3
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
3. You can still do a double major with a minor, but in this case you really won't have any electives since your minor will take over your electives. I suppose for teacher's college, theater and film would count as drama?
So theoretically, if I were to double check and theatre and film wasn't considered a teachable, do you think I would have enough space to take the required amount of units as history electives?
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:15 PM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
So I just got accepted into all of my chosen programs, but I'm having a lot of trouble deciding. I was set on Honours English, but I'm having doubts now and can't come to a decision. Basically, it is between Honours English or Honours English and Theatre and Film Studies. So, naturally, I have a couple of questions.
1. Is a combined honours program virtually a double major?
2. How would I go about selecting a timetable (i.e. would I have any electives)?
3. Since I was originally planning Honours English with a minor in History, I was thinking of going to teacher's college after my undergrad. How would a combined honours in English and Theatre & Film Studies affect that?
Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!
1) Yep, it's a double major!

2) Of course you have room for electives. For a combined Honours degree, you take atleast 9 units a year for each subject. that leaves you plenty of room for electives. I personally chose Hon. English and Religion. I have 12 English credits selected, 9 Religion credits, and 9 elective credits

3) Double majors are more favourably looked at post-undergrad as opposed to just a B.A, or an Honours B.A with/without a minor. Since you (and I) are considering teachers college, the little extra step in your schooling can go a long way

J. Dorey says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:16 PM   #5
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Theoretically I'd say yes but I'd just double check the degree requirements for English and Theatre and Film on the Humanities website to make sure you have enough room for the History minor as well. You need 24 credits in history above Level 1 to have a minor, I don't think you'd have a problem getting that.

J. Dorey says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:18 PM   #6
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Thank you both so much! You just made my life a whole lot easier.

AelyaS says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.