MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Global Citizenship Conference - THIS SATURDAY (March 10th) -McD- MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-04-2012 12:08 PM
Culture relationship ruby101 General Discussion 71 04-26-2011 06:36 PM
Residence-Wide Energy Challenger (RWEC) - March 1st - March 21st sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 8 03-20-2011 12:16 AM
GO Transit Fares Increase Saturday March 14 lorend MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-14-2009 06:28 PM
Mac Closed Saturday March 8th lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-08-2008 10:36 AM

Come out to Culture Shock - Saturday, March 24, 2012

Old 03-11-2012 at 10:39 AM   #1
hermana

Liked: 2 Times

Come out to Culture Shock - Saturday, March 24, 2012
In late 2011 the city of Carora, Venezuela sponsored a McMaster nursing student to take part in a global health nursing practicuum. After three educational and culturally rich months, we ask you to join us on the dance floor so we can return this sponsorship to a visi...ting Venezuelan student!

While we are stepping out of our comfort zones, we want you to step into your dancing shoes and help us raise the roof and the funds for this exchange program!

Jesus Rojas will come to Hamilton, Ontario to learn and share best practices in the nursing industry and learn more about Canada and our culture. Come out to hear three of southwestern Ontario's most intune dj's who will make you move your money makers all in the name of sharing global health practices.

Bring your best moves, so we can bring this exchange program full circle! All proceeds will go towards the sponsorship of this semester long program.

DJs

Ricky Bionix
Electro Funk

DMS
Trip Hop

MizRebel
Loungey Jungle

Tickets $10
19 + event

message Michelle for tickets
or
email [email protected] l.com

Old 03-11-2012 at 10:46 AM   #2
hermana

A little bit more information:

Last semester, I ventured to Carora, Venezuela – a small town with a population of about 110, 000 people. My placement concentrated on several topics including bed side nursing, the health care system, decentralization of decision making in health care, primary health care, and the culture and language in Venezuela. I returned to Canada a more diverse nurse and a more diverse person.

The Global Health Committee and Dr.Jorge Sorger arranged for a host guide and family for me to connect with in Venezuela through the municipality of Carora. In order to extend our appreciation and to participate in shared learning, The Global Health Committee and The School of Nursing has invited the host guide, Jesus Rojas, to come to McMaster University to learn about health care and culture in Canada. Jesus Rojas is an active participant in the community councils, who take responsibility for decision making on health care and community issues in their neighborhoods.

It is our hope that Jesus can bring his gained knowledge from Canada back to the community councils where the people can benefit. Furthermore, by bringing a member of the Carora municipality to McMaster University, we strengthen our ties with them, and solidify future International Practice Placements for proceeding nursing students.

The Global Health Committee invested in me and my education through their support, education, and leadership. As a token of my gratitude, I am participating in a project to reinvest in The Global Health Committee’s work and the International Practice Placements. To do so, I have organized a dance to raise funds to help bring Jesus to McMaster and solidify future nursing placements.

Please join us for Culture Shock on March 24, 2012 at the O Ultra Lounge, 612 Upper James Street, to celebrate culture and health care and raise money to help bring Jesus Rojas to Canada. The dance begins at 10:00pm and continues through the night until 3:00am. I have arranged for an eclectic group of DJs, whom I know personally to be respectful and experienced music connoisseurs. Tickets are $10.00 per person. It would be my pleasure to arrange a meeting with you on campus for ticket sales. Please contact me at [email protected] l.com to do so.

If for some reason you cannot attend, there is still the option of donating to the cause. You can use your credit or debit card at the link below to donate your desired amount.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I can’t wait to see you on the 24th!
Sincerely,

Michelle DeSanti
Graduate of the International Practice Placement
McMaster University - Level IV RPN to BScN Student
Old 03-11-2012 at 11:07 AM   #3
hermana

The people are all beautiful, but not all areas of Venezuela are as glamorous as I thought they would be....

Old 03-19-2012 at 04:43 PM   #4
hermana

I've got two free tickets donated by faculty for Saturday night.
First to respond gets them.

The catch is you have to meet me on campus on Thursday to get them, that's all!

Michelle
Old 03-19-2012 at 05:46 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermana View Post
I've got two free tickets donated by faculty for Saturday night.
First to respond gets them.

The catch is you have to meet me on campus on Thursday to get them, that's all!

Michelle
so... can I get it?
Old 03-19-2012 at 05:55 PM   #6
hermana

Yeppers, I'll send you a message to your inbox with details on where and when to meet

Can't wait to see you there!
Old 03-21-2012 at 05:46 AM   #7
hermana

There's another two tickets donated by faculty being given away on the facebook event page....
First to respond on the facebook event page gets them. the event is public so you don't have to add anyoe to facebook to access it
Again, you just have to meet me on campus tomorrow

http://www.facebook.com/events/330208620348124/
Old 03-24-2012 at 04:02 PM   #8
hermana

Come help out my friend tonight - its a great cause!