MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone currently watching Highschool of the dead? xxsumz Anime & Comic Books 4 09-12-2010 11:31 AM
Anime Fans Unite NatalyaOtaku Anime & Comic Books 17 08-08-2010 01:22 AM
anyone watching greys? SciMania Movies & Television 15 05-21-2010 05:16 PM
Bird Watching Club ShouldBeStudying Clubs & Groups 0 04-15-2010 11:56 AM
Where's the Anime/Manga club? RoyK Anime & Comic Books 5 09-28-2008 11:42 PM

What comics/anime everyone reading/watching?

Old 06-24-2010 at 01:24 PM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I also recently finished Ghost in The Shell: SAC (as well as the sequel and the movie), I thought the first was absolutely amazing but I didn't enjoy 2nd GIG and SSS and much as the first anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfoot View Post
I've been watching the second FMA series. In my opinion it's even better than the original. I watch the sub online and the dub when it airs on adult swim. I've also been watching the dub of Monster. I watched the sub online already but the dub is good too. Kekkaishi is on right after FMA so I've started watching that too. It's too early on to tell if I really like it or not yet.
The second FMA anime is a bit weird, the second half is better because it follows the manga which had a much better conclusion and general mythology than the first anime, but the parts that both the first and second animes covered were almost all done better by the first anime

Monster started of a lot better than it ended and really seemed to change in tone a bit (at least the manga did) I thought Deathnote was a bit better (though that had the same problem with starting off a lot better than it ended).

Last edited by Tailsnake : 06-24-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 03:06 PM   #17
Nightfoot

Liked: 0 Times

I think the first anime covered the earlier part better just because in Brotherhood they knew everyone had seen it already so they rushed through it. Mostly I like Brotherhood more because the plot line is more interesting.

I never finished Death Note. I'm a shameless idealist and tend to not like shows with a villain protagonist. That's why I like Monster - Tenma is just so damn idealistic. But my favourite character (Grimmer) doesn't show up until half-way through, so I tend to like the later episodes more, lol
Old 06-24-2010 at 03:51 PM   #18
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

I like the second season of FMA better too.

I finished watching Death Note. But as someone mentioned already, the story was way better in the beginning than near the end. O well, it was a pretty good overall.

Monster was pretty good too. I haven't seen the show. I read the manga.
I got a little confused near the ending. Maybe its because I just wanted to finish with the story and rushed through reading the end lol. I should go back and re-read the last couple chapters...
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:07 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED DEATH NOTE

Yeah, Death Note started sucking when L's replacements came in. Too many random characters I don't care about, lol. L left waaaay too early in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:12 PM   #20
Kira

*spoiler (death note)

Yea I agree, they introduced a lot of characters after L left. And Light sort of seemed stupid compared to before. He didn't really have many genius plans like he usually did (IMO)...
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:21 PM   #21
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Finally reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics and going to start on Fables
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:49 PM   #22
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
*spoiler (death note)

Yea I agree, they introduced a lot of characters after L left. And Light sort of seemed stupid compared to before. He didn't really have many genius plans like he usually did (IMO)...
My main complaints with the second half of DN (except the fact the Near and Mello just weren't interesting) was exactly what you're saying. Light basically made every right move and a few gambles in the first half, but he basically gave himself up. The only reason he got caugth in the second half when Mello and Near didn't even know where to start was because he was being a giant idiot. Heck, the way he acted in the last chapter just seemed so out of character, but I guess they had to make him seem like a villain somehow :(. I also hated the fact that Near seem to basically make random guesses (which just happened to be correct) and base his actions on those guesses. L, on the other hand, had really consistent internal logic and even if you didn't see a point to his action you could always go back a few chapters and figure out the justification for them; this wasn't true for his successors.

The first half of Death Note is easily one of the finest works of manga ever created though.
Old 06-25-2010 at 04:47 AM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Currently on episode 53 of Dragonball Z (NAMEK SAGA). Finished Dragon Ball about a month ago. My job is seriously cutting into my dragon ball watching time.

I'll probably watch both versions of Dragonball Z and then move on to GT, and then Kai. And then I'll probably rewatch them all in Japanese.

Good summer ahead of me.

(only anime I like)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:46 AM   #24
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Can't say I'm surprised Cheri :]

Ahm, wow, I haven't watched anything in a while. I was re-watching Chobits a few weeks ago, but I'm just waiting for a new anime that'll blow me away.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:05 PM   #25
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
Finally reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics
yes! that's my fav comic book of all time
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:12 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
yes! that's my fav comic book of all time
I also read Sandman, not sure if it was the entire series though... however it was one large book. Aren't there also series on the other characters?
Old 06-25-2010 at 12:17 PM   #27
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I also read Sandman, not sure if it was the entire series though... however it was one large book. Aren't there also series on the other characters?
yah theres a series for lucifer and death..and i remember reading one about the corinthian but i think that might have just been one issue. there's prob more on other characters tho, just haven't gotten around to reading them
Old 06-25-2010 at 02:02 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Can't say I'm surprised Cheri :]

Ahm, wow, I haven't watched anything in a while. I was re-watching Chobits a few weeks ago, but I'm just waiting for a new anime that'll blow me away.
Well, whoever posted on the front page, I was like, "wtf did I post already??"

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-25-2010 at 02:11 PM   #29
Kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Currently on episode 53 of Dragonball Z (NAMEK SAGA). Finished Dragon Ball about a month ago. My job is seriously cutting into my dragon ball watching time.

I'll probably watch both versions of Dragonball Z and then move on to GT, and then Kai. And then I'll probably rewatch them all in Japanese.

Good summer ahead of me.

(only anime I like)
I started watching dragon ball Kai too. I like it way better than Z. Not saying Z was bad lol. Dragon ball in general is a great show
Old 06-25-2010 at 02:20 PM   #30
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Dokkan Dokkan tsuiteru! Dokkan Dokkan Paradise Genkidama ga hajike tobu ze Go Go Let's do it