Comm 2AA3

Comm 2AA3
Financial Accounting I
Published by PTGregD
06-21-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Comm 2AA3

This course is an introduction to accounting concepts. If you have no idea about accounting, don't worry, this course assumes zero knowledge. However, if you have taken accounting in high school, prepare for a repeat of that class (look on the bright side; easy 12!).

PROF:

The professor that teaches this course is Emad Mohammad. He is very knowledgeable about accounting, and often talks about recent news events that deal with subjects in class. He is a really good lecturer and makes it easy to understand the material, even when it becomes a bit challenging. He is fairly strict though; Try to not get on his bad side by showing up to class late, leaving lectures before they are finished, or by talking in class. At the end of the course, if you are at a gray area in terms of your grade, i.e. 79%, 84%, 89% etc., where a 1% boost or so will get you into a higher grade point, he will boost you; Unless of course you did one of the three things I outlined before that he does not like, at which point he will likely not boost you.

LECTURES:

The lectures are composed of a combination of power point lecture slides, as well as microsoft word when needed to describe some accounting concepts in more depth. Be prepared to write a lot of information down in each lecture. Sometimes if there is too much information he might post it on WebCT, so you may get lucky like that. Remember, show up on time to lectures, don't talk during them, and don't leave early. It will pay off in the end.

BREAKDOWN OF MARKS:

The course has 4 components that determine your grade. You have two midterms worth 20%, weekly online quizzes which are worth a total of 10%, and a final exam worth 50%.

In addition, if you attend all the tutorials during the semester, you will get a 3% bonus added to your grade.

The online quizzes are fairly simple, so think of them as mark boosters. The first midterm was a lot more challenging than the second midterm, but both weren't too hard overall. A lot of the questions are application based, and they test a wide range of knowledge, so you really need to understand all the material or you will end up blanking out on a few questions. The exam is a comprehensive review of the entire course, and he will give you the breakdown of which questions come from which chapter, so as long as you adjust your studying accordingly, you will be fine.

The format of both the midterms and the exam is multiple choice with 3-5 short answer questions that test your ability to put your accounting knowledge into action. The short answer tends to be easier than the multiple choice.

HOW TO SUCCEED:

First off, attend all the lectures and listen attentively; It also wouldn't hurt to create a good rapport with the professor. He is very helpful if you have any confusion regarding the material.

Secondly, attend the tutorials, if for nothing else than the 3% bonus. Although they are very helpful for reviewing what you learned in lectures that week. The T.A.'s are very helpful as well with answering any questions you may have.

Finally, make sure you do ALL the practice problems that are assigned for the chapters. If you can't do some of the questions, get some assistance and make sure you can do them afterwards because they will show up on the midterms and exam and you want to make sure you can answer them.

dhillon11, goodnews.inc, xxsumz all say thanks to PTGregD for this post.

rugbymagz7 likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Comm 2AA3!

Old 07-25-2010 at 04:49 AM   #2
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times
Dr. Mohammad is an excellent professor. He seems quite strict in the class but he has a great sense of humour and is very easy-going and cheerful outside of the classroom. I was sitting outside one time on my laptop between classes in the winter, and he came up to me and I guess recognized me from class and asked why I was sitting out in the cold, and told me I should sit inside instead, it would help me focus better on whatever I was doing. It wasn't much, but the way he said it and stuff brings him down to earth and makes you respect the man much more than your ordinary professor. Great guy and I voted him for best professor last year.
Old 09-11-2010 at 03:08 PM   #3
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times
Im taking this course right now. Just an update: Course breakdown has changed. It is now 2 midterms worth 25% each and 1 final exam worth 50%.

icecubz says thanks to xxsumz for this post.
Old 03-11-2011 at 08:53 AM   #4
Rich0591

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Can anyone give an update on this course? I'm thinking of taking it in the summer. I have taken accounting in high school. How's the workload? How hard would it be to do this course in 6 weeks?

Old 04-24-2011 at 08:45 PM   #5
tanweerrohil

Liked: 0 Times
yeah im taking it in the summer too im not sure about the breakdown, also what textbook would we need?
Old 04-27-2011 at 09:09 PM   #6
Troy Singh

If you took accounting in highschool this will mostly be a review. There might be some differences and maybe a couple of new topics but nothing very difficult.
Old 05-03-2011 at 08:35 PM   #7
zazalaziale

Mohammad is an amazing prof
Old 08-17-2011 at 01:17 PM   #8
lyb2

awesome. thanks
Old 08-15-2012 at 12:58 PM   #9
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times
Do you NEED the textbook? If you master the tutorial problems and problems done in class, could you do well?
Old 08-21-2012 at 04:32 PM   #10
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times
is this connect card needed/important/helpful/strongly recommended for this course or will the textbook suffice?
Old 09-18-2012 at 03:01 PM   #11
schneil

Liked: 1 Time
I'd say yes, you need the textbook.
Old 04-07-2013 at 09:45 AM   #12
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
Is there a lot of math in this course?
Old 04-22-2013 at 09:17 PM   #13
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Is there a lot of math in this course?
No but there is quite memorization on identifying the costs of each item in a transaction though. Simple arithmetic only not much math than economics 1b03.
Old 04-25-2013 at 04:51 PM   #14
nikita92

Liked: 4 Times
professor ianni is teaching it in the summer, does anyone know about him/her?
Old 08-16-2013 at 09:07 PM   #15
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times
Can anyone tell me (from taking it recently) if they still have tutorials. SOLAR says there are none but I'm wondering if there are a few optional ones that the prof is running on his own?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search