Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 70%
Commerce 1E03

Ohhhhh the Commerce class from hell! Commerce 1E03 with Rita Cossaaaaa. That name will be a synonym with th devil by the time you're done this class. The material is interesting indeed, but the way things are marked are EXTREAMELY EXTREAMELY HARD, which is what gives people such low marks in this class.

The big thing in this class is the Report. Yes, even the Report gets a capitaliztion on the R haha, because it's that big of a deal! Here's the report breakdown: I'm a Canadian shoe company wanting to branch out into Europe, specifically Spain, in this case. I want to know whether or not my company should bother manufacturing our shoes in this country.

Your report won't be exactly like this, but the idea is that youre a company wanting to invest in a certain country. You will then, using extensive research, research the different business environments so that you can decide whether or not your company should invest in that country.

Sounds easy? Maybe.. maybe not. But essentially, it is not easy. My group had the highest mark in the tutorial and among the highest marks in the whole 1st Year Commerce class -- 65%. Yes, sixty five percent.

The report is killer, the proposal is awful but the tests are decent. Read the textbook from cover to cover and actually go to class - shes one of those profs that does the whole fill-in-the-blanks deal.

Overall, I ended up with a 6 in this course and that was only because I killed the final exam. If youre in commerce or are planning to go into it, you cannot avoid this class, nor can you avoid Rita Cossa.

I have one piece of advice for all of you that will be taking this course -- the resources she gives you for the project are very good.. you just need to figure out how to utilize them properly Honestly, the courseware teaches you how to use punctuation properly and such, it's just a matter of your group taking the time and going through your report page by page. With that in mind, DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. I guarantee you will fail.

jindal, Sync, xhorizon all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Commerce 1E03!

Old 07-26-2008 at 06:36 AM   #2
meerf

Liked: 7 Times
Interesting, tough, easy
As long as you get started on the reports and the other misc. projects that she assigns, this class is a breeze. You also have to make sure YOU DO YOUR READINGS AND ATETND EVERY CLASS. People that find this class hard are just slackers. Rita does an excllent job with directing the course and she is not going to spoon feed you everything. The most she will do is make sure that the spoon you feed yourself with is clean, and disinfected (haha, if that makes anysense). She is very picky about minor grammatical issues but it pays off in the end. I got 10 percent off my report because my paeg number font was not the right size, but i still ended up with a 9 in the classs and my group (i was the leader) got hte highest mark on the proposal/report. Make sure you have a good group leader taht directs the group well.

Last edited by meerf : 07-26-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Sync says thanks to meerf for this post.
Old 07-26-2008
samantha__
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-10-2008 at 03:16 PM   #3
Sync

Liked: 2 Times
I've heard so many bad things about the prof and this course. Man, I wish someone else would teach it.

Anyway, do you know if this prof always uses the books listed in Titles for her courses?
Old 08-10-2008 at 06:28 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
Yes, as far as I know, she only uses the textbook in Titles, the one co-written by her. That textbook is probobly one of the most useful textbooks I had all year, so don't hesitate on buying it.

Old 07-06-2009 at 07:17 PM   #5
jujumiste

Liked: Liked 6 Times
In the Titles website, there are no required/optional materials listed in the Commerce 1e03 section. What are the required/optional materials for this class?
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:20 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumiste View Post
In the Titles website, there are no required/optional materials listed in the Commerce 1e03 section. What are the required/optional materials for this class?
The book list for next year isn't out yet.
Old 01-07-2010 at 11:43 AM   #7
MattyA

Liked: 0 Times
Has anyone taking this course term one that has any insight on what it's all about this year
Old 06-09-2010 at 04:13 PM   #8
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times
I have Brontis for this class, anyone know what type of prof he is?
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:02 PM   #9
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times
its Bontis and hes an amazing Professor
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:31 AM   #10
mholditch

I think Bontis is for 1PA0 and not 1E03. And he's not there half the time in 1PA0. Seems like the master timetable doesn't have a prof listed for 1E03 yet.
Old 06-11-2010 at 04:02 PM   #11
Jaff24

ahh, my apologies then. I hope I dont get stuck with Cossa :(

Is 1PA0 a class that you can use for units or no? Because if Cossa is that bad then I might as well take 1pa0 with Bontis
Old 06-11-2010 at 07:35 PM   #12
Sandra Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff24 View Post
ahh, my apologies then. I hope I dont get stuck with Cossa :(

Is 1PA0 a class that you can use for units or no? Because if Cossa is that bad then I might as well take 1pa0 with Bontis
no worry
all the 1pa0 lectures are taken by Botins this semester.
Old 06-12-2010 at 11:51 AM   #13
Jaff24

I have another question. Do I have to take commerce classes in first year to take commerce class in 3rd and 4th year as well?
Old 09-05-2010 at 09:30 PM   #14
tallison

Liked: 1 Time
There is still no course material in Titles for this course...
Anyone find anythign new?
I'm not sure if this is from last eyar, btu it does list some materials that will be needed
http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/ug..._W2009_000.pdf

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search