MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Admissions Fawkes Academics 2 05-21-2010 07:34 PM
Nursing Admissions Jellybeanz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 02-02-2010 09:17 PM
Graduate admissions questions Mac12 Academics 19 10-21-2009 07:41 PM
2nd year admissions jeff_arato Academics 1 05-30-2009 12:41 PM
Mail from residence admissions? hotjj Residence & Housing 11 09-01-2008 11:25 PM

Commerce Admissions!!

Old 02-01-2009 at 05:52 PM   #1
caitlin555

Liked: 0 Times

Commerce Admissions!!
Hey guys!

I'm hoping to get into mac commerce for fall 2009. I noticed that the prereqs were TWO of Calculus, Data Management, and Advanced Functions. I've taked AF this semester and i'm taking DM and Calc next sem... this year i'll have a total of 7 gr 12 courses (and only need 6 for my average calculation).

If calculus was to be my LOWEST mark of the 7 would mac not use it for my average calculation (considering that i've already satisfied the pprereqs with the DM and AF) or would they include all three no matter what?

Let me know! Thanks
Old 02-01-2009 at 06:07 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

No, only your top 6 will be included in your overall average calculation. You just need to make sure you did take all the prereqs, regardless of whether it is part of the average calculation.
Old 02-02-2009 at 09:32 AM   #3
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

From my understanding, they take your required course averages first and then fill up however many courses would be left from your top 6 with your highest marks. I was in the same situation as you when I applied last year, and that's what ended up happening to me.
Old 02-02-2009 at 05:40 PM   #4
caitlin555

Liked: 0 Times

Hi
Caitlin,

Thank you for using MacIQ!

We would not include MCV4U in our calculation of your admission average if you presented two of the other math requirements with higher grades (and had more than six grade 12 U/M level courses).

Hopefully this information is helpful.

Best wishes.

YAYY
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:02 PM   #5
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

I thought they were wrong because Calc was one of the courses they looked at regardless when I was going into Commerce. However, things change (I don't think we had AF as a math course when I was in High School)

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/canad.php
Old 02-24-2009 at 08:49 AM   #6
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
No, only your top 6 will be included in your overall average calculation. You just need to make sure you did take all the prereqs, regardless of whether it is part of the average calculation.
This is actually not correct. We calculate admission averages based on the top six grade 12 U/M courses INCLUDING all of the courses required for the specific program you have applied to at McMaster.
If you have taken (or will be taking) all 3 of the 4U maths, we will use the top two in your average. If the 3rd course is not one of your top six then it will not be included in the average.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2009 at 09:14 AM   #7
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification.

The original poster was planning on taking all three maths (even though only two are required), so I guess in her case, it all works out anyway, and only the two highest of those would be taken.