MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commons becoming CENTRO? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 04-15-2010 09:21 PM
When does commons close for the summer? vruby General Discussion 16 04-13-2010 09:52 PM
Mills Learning Commons 24/7 KristaG Academics 10 12-08-2009 07:12 PM
Can I park overnight outside Commons? jubilantx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-14-2009 08:36 AM
Mills Learning Commons sarahsweet Academics 23 12-14-2006 05:56 PM

Commons is being rebuilt?

Old 04-12-2010 at 01:00 PM   #16
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I have heard rumours (though I have not been here QUITE long enough to be able to corroborate first hand...) that not so very long ago there were some franchises in Commons (Taco Bell, etc.).

Is anyone here able to confirm this? (Or know someone older who can?)
Old 04-12-2010 at 01:13 PM   #17
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Whats wrong with it ?

Do they really need to waste money on this?

I believe they should focus on the Libraries, they're ugly and crowded and we could use a good study space.
Old 04-12-2010 at 01:18 PM   #18
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

hospitality services has nothing to do with the libraries. It is like telling the Faculty of Science to increase the number of Social Science courses being offered...

sniderj likes this.
Old 04-12-2010 at 01:56 PM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Renovations have nothing to do with food quality.
128Q. Case and point.

(EVERY TIME I go there, they're out of something. Last time it was all hamburgers, and chicken strips, and they closed the kitchen at 7:30.)

scott000 likes this.
Old 04-12-2010 at 07:07 PM   #20
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Now is that because the food is high quality and everybody snaps it up in huge proportions, or because of crappy management?
Old 04-12-2010 at 07:13 PM   #21
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Naw, its not because the food is good, that's for sure.

Two weeks ago I went and got a chicken parmesan sandwich "on a ciabatta bun" and it came out on a hamburger bun, basically a chicken burger, with a dab of sauce and about 25 little grates of cheese that looked like it had melted in about 10 minutes before. Yuck!]
Old 04-12-2010 at 08:17 PM   #22
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

i just think the new name is ... its just really stupid

Centro

i think thats a stupid name and i personally like Commons much better
Centro... lol
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 04-12-2010 at 08:35 PM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Naw, its not because the food is good, that's for sure.

Two weeks ago I went and got a chicken parmesan sandwich "on a ciabatta bun" and it came out on a hamburger bun, basically a chicken burger, with a dab of sauce and about 25 little grates of cheese that looked like it had melted in about 10 minutes before. Yuck!]
Exact same thing happened to me last Wednesday.
Old 04-12-2010 at 08:38 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
hospitality services has nothing to do with the libraries. It is like telling the Faculty of Science to increase the number of Social Science courses being offered...
How does Hospitality Services have the money for these renovations? I don't know how this kind of stuff works.

Did they get money by slightly increasing meal plans? If so, wouldn't it have been better to slightly increase [whatever supplementary fee in tuition that could help improve libraries and study spaces]?
I'm not saying that's exactly what they should or shouldn't have done, but I wonder if this money could have possibly gone to something more productive/useful, since it's all under McMaster anyway.

I think Commons was perfectly fine as it was. I wonder how much these renovations cost.

Cassanova likes this.
Old 04-12-2010 at 08:51 PM   #25
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Each department has their own budget, and has a pretty high level of discretion when it comes to how it is spent. I'm sure Hospitality Services has had this in the works for awhile.

As for study spaces, it just reflects different priorities. Some people may argue that study spaces are the most important thing on campus, others may argue that social gathering places are important components of the experience, especially in the integration of first year residence students. I realize that Commons was functionally adequate, but if the new atmosphere encourages more socializing/hanging out by students there, it's probably a good thing overall.
Old 04-12-2010 at 08:57 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I wish they could keep Bridges open longer. Especially on weekends. That would be fantastic.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

dsahota, SciMania like this.
Old 04-12-2010 at 09:07 PM   #27
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

Improved social space is a big factor. They're trying to cut down on takeout food, and a big way to do that is by making eating in centro more inviting. if students want to stay and eat we'll use less styrofoam containers.

etoilex3 likes this.
Old 04-13-2010 at 10:13 AM   #28
webzn

Liked: 17 Times

I've never been in rez, so Commons has never been a central point for me to eat. But, these renovations look really nice, and make the place look much more modern and attractive. I might just make the trek out there more often if this goes through.

As for the name... I don't care - I have 5 exams to worry about instead.
Old 04-13-2010 at 10:25 AM   #29
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzn View Post
I've never been in rez, so Commons has never been a central point for me to eat.
I'm worse, I don't even know where it is

Afzal likes this.
Old 04-13-2010 at 10:25 AM   #30
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I hope the actual renovations look as good in person as they do in the pictures!

I was in res for my first year, and I always thought they could make Commons look better. Sometimes it just looks so dark and dreary. I especially love the idea for more natural lighting. When you live in residence, you're kind of limited in where you can eat with your meal plan, so making Commons look better is a good idea in my opinion.

For those who want more and/or better study spaces, maybe you can tell the library people that? Personally, I could care less about study spaces.