MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
Night classes for a commuter..advice? dreamer21 Academics 6 06-17-2011 11:04 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Commuter Challenge CompassIC Misc 27 06-04-2008 10:31 PM

Commuter- 1st year engineering

Old 08-09-2013 at 07:00 PM   #1
rashmi.raj

Liked: 1 Time

Commuter- 1st year engineering
I'm thinking of commuting for at least first semester to see how it goes from Mississauga to MAC. Do you think it's a good idea? Honestly, I'm thinking it's a bad idea just because I went to welcome day and I'm so tired and all I did was walk around. Plus I'm in Engineering which has 2 more courses than most people so 6 courses per term. Has anyone else commuted from Mississauga to Mac who was also in engineering? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2013 at 07:27 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I had many friends back in first year engineering who used to commute from Mississauga to mac and they did fine.

Yes, you will be fine as long as you manage your time well and study at school whenever you get the chance. Mississauga isn't that far away, i live in Hamilton and it takes me about the same if not a bit longer than my friends who commute from Mississauga.

I was tired at first but then you get used to it, it's not too bad.

rashmi.raj says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 08-09-2013 at 08:39 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashmi.raj View Post
I'm thinking of commuting for at least first semester to see how it goes from Mississauga to MAC. Do you think it's a good idea? Honestly, I'm thinking it's a bad idea just because I went to welcome day and I'm so tired and all I did was walk around. Plus I'm in Engineering which has 2 more courses than most people so 6 courses per term. Has anyone else commuted from Mississauga to Mac who was also in engineering? Thanks in advance!
Other faculties typically have five courses (so 6 is only one more).

How well you handle commuting depends more on the person than the program. Plenty of people in engineering commute and are fine, but that doesn't mean everyone can handle it.

If after a couple of weeks you decide it's not going to work, you can always rent a place off-campus but it will probably be some random basement room or something - the good places will be gone. I know a couple of people who did that, though.

rashmi.raj says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 08-09-2013 at 08:57 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

It teaches you good time management skills.

Be ready for many early mornings and late evenings. Second term of first year I would wake up at 6am, catch the 7:27 train from Oakville to get to Mac for 8:20, and then get home towards 8pm on an average night with a class ending at 6:30pm. Up it to midnight when a night class is involved or, gasp, midterms.

You get used to it after a short while. Saves plenty of money.

rashmi.raj says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 08-11-2013 at 01:20 PM   #5
rashmi.raj

Liked: 1 Time

How much sleep did you get?
Old 08-11-2013 at 03:35 PM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashmi.raj View Post
How much sleep did you get?

Just about the same as another Engineering student. I often find myself sleeping on the 30 to 40 min trip. Its not like your driving yourself for 3 to 4 hours. In a couple of weeks u'll get used to the commute.

There will be ALOT of ppl commuting for sauga, at least that what I found in my year, so ur not alone. It is definitely do-able. I also found ppl commuting after living on campus first year.

Try getting into study groups with ppl who are commuting just like u, that doesn't mean rule out ppl that live on campus.

Last edited by jon.john23 : 08-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.

rashmi.raj says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.
Old 08-11-2013 at 05:49 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You will survive but your first year days will be long so be prepared.

rashmi.raj says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.