MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
How likely is it that we'll get into the classes we want? ShesTheMan Academics 17 08-10-2010 11:28 PM
First Aid Classes VoyozooT General Discussion 2 07-31-2009 11:20 PM
3rd Year Econ Classes - Need Some Advice :) PTGregD Academics 0 06-23-2009 12:15 AM
Commuter Challenge CompassIC Misc 27 06-04-2008 10:31 PM

Night classes for a commuter..advice?

Old 06-17-2011 at 06:16 PM   #1
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Night classes for a commuter..advice?
I commute on the GO to school and I'm going to have 2 night classes in second term and I'm debating about one in first term as well. I wanted to stay away from night classes, but one of these classes is a requirement and the other I really want to take. I'm just looking for any advice on this, whether you've taken a night class before and are a commuter or just advice on taking night classes in general.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011 at 06:48 PM   #2
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I commute and have taken a few night classes. It's a bit of a drag sometimes especially if the prof goes the full 3 hours. Also it's hard to make yourself stay on campus so late if it's a class you don't enjoy. But you won't be alone. Many people commute with the GO and take night classes.
Old 06-17-2011 at 08:57 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
I commute on the GO to school and I'm going to have 2 night classes in second term and I'm debating about one in first term as well. I wanted to stay away from night classes, but one of these classes is a requirement and the other I really want to take. I'm just looking for any advice on this, whether you've taken a night class before and are a commuter or just advice on taking night classes in general.

Thanks!
i commuted with two evening classes each term last night (4 evening classes for each term for this coming school year). the good thing about night classes is that it's only once a week and it just feels like you have to be at school less. i would suggest to try and keep the mornings after night classes free so you can sleep in for a bit.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2011 at 10:12 PM   #4
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

Hey, I asked the same question here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3.html?t=43473

I decided that it's just going to be too late by the time I get home, and it'll be awful in the winter months, so I'm just taking day classes. I'm driving though, so it might not be as much of a problem on the GO.
Old 06-17-2011 at 10:27 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Depends on the course/prof, how far you're commuting, and what you have the next day.

1. Like another person said, having an 830 the next day will suck pretttttty badly
2. Some profs use the full 3 hours (makes your day longer) and some use much less (time trade-off for commuting for a 1-2 hour class not being worth it)
3. Travelling 2 hours for a 1-2 hour class is not worth it (works great if you have a class end about an hour or two before said night class

I would try to contact the professor to find out the details of the course, if possible.
Old 06-17-2011 at 10:54 PM   #6
dreamer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
Hey, I asked the same question here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3.html?t=43473

I decided that it's just going to be too late by the time I get home, and it'll be awful in the winter months, so I'm just taking day classes. I'm driving though, so it might not be as much of a problem on the GO.
Thanks for posting that! Unfortunately the one course is a requirement for me and the other isn't mandatory but it fills a requirement from another course list, I guess I'll have to weigh the pros/cons
Old 06-17-2011 at 11:04 PM   #7
dreamer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Depends on the course/prof, how far you're commuting, and what you have the next day.

1. Like another person said, having an 830 the next day will suck pretttttty badly
2. Some profs use the full 3 hours (makes your day longer) and some use much less (time trade-off for commuting for a 1-2 hour class not being worth it)
3. Travelling 2 hours for a 1-2 hour class is not worth it (works great if you have a class end about an hour or two before said night class

I would try to contact the professor to find out the details of the course, if possible.
My commute time isn't too bad, it's around 30 minutes.

The day following the required night class I start at 9:30, but I also only have a class 4:30-5:30 and then that night class 7-10 that day.

As for the other class, I start early and have large gaps that whole day.

I would definitely try that but the profs aren't listed for either of these courses :(