MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
commuting raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-30-2011 09:39 PM
Commuting to WW missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-08-2011 04:01 PM
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
commuting to mcmaster Jobbles Automotive & Transportation 13 09-09-2010 09:43 AM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM

Commuting

Old 02-01-2012 at 08:41 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Commuting
Ok so basically, what's happening is that I live in Milton (first year, commuting) and now the time has come to look for offcampus housing. Only thing is, I'm not sure it is or isn't worth it...
If you guys could list the pros/cons of offcampus vs. commuting, that'd be cool

cheers
Old 02-01-2012 at 08:53 PM   #2
akmac

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Well If you live on campus you have more independence in my opinion, and its more relaxing when you have long stretches between classes. BUT, you might have awful roommates.. plus you have to buy your own groceries (but if you live that close maybe your parents could shop for you lol) and pay rent.
Obvious off campus pros are free everything and (hopefully) good food! But less independence.

Personally, if i spend too much time around my parents they drive me insane. I like to do my own thing and see them on weekends I also concentrate better living here because I know everyone else has the same goal.

drpatel says thanks to akmac for this post.

alyssarr, apples12 like this.
Old 02-01-2012 at 09:13 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Since I live on Hamilton Mountain, commuting is sometimes be long and tedious but it doesn't take long at all. I rely on the HSR bus to get through my commuting. I live with my parents and despite the fact that I still don't have much freedom, they still help me pay for some of the things I need for school and other things.

drpatel likes this.
Old 02-01-2012 at 09:35 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Commuting may make you a more disciplined and driven student if you aren't one.

You'll learn to always wake up on time and go to bed on time. You'll remain at the library more often (I do, can't study during the transit time, 1 hour for me from sauga).

But that is just me. You might be different.

anon491, drpatel like this.
Old 02-01-2012 at 11:01 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

commuting
Pros: no rent, free food at home, laundry is done for u (if u arent forced to do it urself), no need to deal with nasty housemate habits, house can be quite ghetto depending on what u get
Cons: Heavy backpack all day, strain on back, no where to go inbetween classes resulting in camping at libraries, gota wake up super early for those morning classes (no all nighters), less freedom, going out with friends is hard,

drpatel likes this.
Old 02-01-2012 at 11:34 PM   #6
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Meh, this basically sums up my experience:

2nd year: Wow this is terrible how am I going to make it 60 minutes each way like this every day

3rd year: You know, when you have the iPod going and rest your eyes this really isn't that bad

4th year: Noooo don't turn into the school I just want to rest on this peaceful stress free bus a little longer

Old 02-02-2012 at 12:04 AM   #7
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post

2nd year: Wow this is terrible how am I going to make it 60 minutes each way like this every day

3rd year: You know, when you have the iPod going and rest your eyes this really isn't that bad

4th year: Noooo don't turn into the school I just want to rest on this peaceful stress free bus a little longer
well actually, I'm already doing that 2nd year "this is terrible" part, but thanks for the graphic illustration xD
Old 02-02-2012 at 05:51 AM   #8
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Commuting: guaranteed study time at home - a lot quieter, your family respects you have to study, and, yes, they will probably help pay some of your costs
Off-Campus: Depends on your roommates, really...
But I would say commute. The quality of work, no matter how little, you do at home will be far superior to anything on campus. Your work space can suit your study style exactly. I'm an auditory learner, so I usually walk around and read, sing, chant, give myself a lecture...anything to help me remember. Not too many places on campus where you can do that.
Old 02-02-2012 at 08:13 AM   #9
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

live off campus: learn to become a functioning adult, w/o your parents looking over your shoulder/pushing you to do things.
Old 02-02-2012 at 08:37 AM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post

That's me, but just shifted up a year. (i.e. 2nd year is 1st year instead)

sayok8737 likes this.
Old 02-02-2012 at 08:41 AM   #11
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

I'd say that for the first two years at least you should live off campus. The amount you grow as an individual living alone is staggering.

After that, living at home might be best.

You'd get a lot higher quality work done at home, and not have the same urges to go out partying every night. That is if your first priority is your grades of course.

Snowman likes this.