MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
commuting to mcmaster Jobbles Automotive & Transportation 13 09-09-2010 09:43 AM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Commuting From Brampton. MrSmith General Discussion 19 08-03-2009 10:59 AM
Commuting from Brampton jindal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-14-2008 07:35 PM

Commuting to WW

Old 07-06-2011 at 01:59 PM   #1
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

Commuting to WW
I'll have a pretty long commute this year, which I don't mind for my classes because I've scheduled them to start later and end earlier.

But what about Welcome Week? I got the impression that a lot of the good events are in the evening, and there are some earlier morning events too. And that's official events obviously, I'm sure there will be a few other social gatherings too. I want to go to as many events as possible and meet lots and lots of people, especially since no-one from my school is going to McMaster. I just don't want to be getting home after midnight, crashing for a few hours, and doing it all over again the next day, for a whole week!

Any commuters out there with advice on this? Would it be worthwhile maybe finding someplace to stay in Hamilton for the first week? I don't have any direct relatives there, so it would probably be with a friend of a friend or something along those lines which might be a bit awkward, and while I'm sure if I posted something to one of the first year groups I'm in I'd get offers from people, I wouldn't know them IRL. Plus if someone staying in res wanted to put me up, they'd likely just be getting to know their new roommate(s) and wouldn't want another random person hanging around.

Alternately I could just go for mostly daytime events and maybe pick one or two evenings to stay late...and sleep in the next day.
Old 07-06-2011 at 02:06 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll only be participating and attending events which happen during the morning-afternoon time period.
Old 07-06-2011 at 02:12 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The schedule hasn't come out yet for WW 2011 . However, maybe once it does you can see what events you're interested in and attend those. Honestly, there's events the whole day, so I'm sur eyou'll be able to find something you'll enjoy day or night .
Old 07-06-2011 at 03:27 PM   #4
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Sleep in the student centre, no one will care.
Old 07-06-2011 at 04:39 PM   #5
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

Just for your information, students in residence cannot have overnight guests during Welcome Week so you would not be able to crash at their place during Welcome Week.

missscarlett says thanks to Nicole for this post.
Old 07-06-2011 at 05:08 PM   #6
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Please let me know how you will be commuting and from where? I commuted to my welcome week on the train some days and carpooled with a friend on other
Old 07-06-2011 at 06:35 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The ww schedule is all over the place from what I saw but fill up the days pretty good.. theres no guarantee that you'll even be interested in all the events though; I would recommend attending most of them if you can, however!
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:19 PM   #8
jessicalynn

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
I just don't want to be getting home after midnight, crashing for a few hours, and doing it all over again the next day, for a whole week!

Commuting or in res, that is exactly what Welcome Week is. Last year I got pretty much no sleep, but it was still one of the best weeks I've ever experienced. I would recommend just suffering through the lack of sleep, because you won't regret it. Welcome Week is such a great experience! You'll love it And if you really don't want to commute for the week, like the person up there said, sleep in the student center! Sounds totally weird, but I've seen tons of people do it (especially during exam time, LOL).

Good luck, hope you have a blast during WW

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:28 PM   #9
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
Commuting or in res, that is exactly what Welcome Week is. Last year I got pretty much no sleep, but it was still one of the best weeks I've ever experienced. I would recommend just suffering through the lack of sleep, because you won't regret it. Welcome Week is such a great experience! You'll love it And if you really don't want to commute for the week, like the person up there said, sleep in the student center! Sounds totally weird, but I've seen tons of people do it (especially during exam time, LOL).

I've personally done it, in the third floor. Security never came to ask me why I was there.
Old 07-06-2011 at 11:33 PM   #10
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post

Absolutely agree. I commuted as well, and I got the bare minimum of sleep per night, but I do not regret it at all!

Old 07-08-2011 at 04:01 PM   #11
missscarlett

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Please let me know how you will be commuting and from where? I commuted to my welcome week on the train some days and carpooled with a friend on other
I'll be driving from Kitchener. I have my own car.