MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carpool: Toronto to Brantford, or Toronto to Kitchener/Cambridge Melanieee General Discussion 0 07-23-2012 03:08 PM
The Novice Cyclist Series: Commuting 101 – McMaster to Habourfront sarahsweet MacInsiders Announcements 3 11-10-2010 12:42 PM
commuting to mcmaster Jobbles Automotive & Transportation 13 09-09-2010 09:43 AM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Hamilton to Brantford Greco General Discussion 7 08-09-2009 12:52 AM

Commuting from Brantford to McMaster?

Old 07-31-2012 at 10:54 AM   #1
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

Commuting from Brantford to McMaster?
Is anyone else in the same boat?
Would driving and parking be easier than taking the greyhound everyday?
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:05 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

I have read that Greyhound is really unreliable. Don't have personal experience... but just search up Greyhound on Google or visit their Facebook page and you'll see what I mean

speirac says thanks to apples12 for this post.
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:22 PM   #3
speirac

I see what you mean! Yeah I definately will have more control if I drive myself. Its just a little bit more expensive ! The parking permit isn't too expensive considering it is reliable the majority of the time in terms of space and shuttle service (so I've heard).
Old 07-31-2012 at 01:36 PM   #4
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

You can also look into parking at a student house nearby... usually much cheaper Good luck

speirac says thanks to apples12 for this post.
Old 07-31-2012 at 02:42 PM   #5
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

Hey, I'm actually from Waterloo and I know one person who used to commute, but it took them 3 hours of driving in total for every day! Imagine how much gas that would be + maintenance charges for your car. They spent about 200 on gas every week! Eventually they decided to rent a room, which was FAR cheaper than commuting daily. Good Luck!

speirac likes this.
Old 07-31-2012 at 04:03 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Lol, not sure how the last response is very relevant... I used to know someone who commuted from a long distance too, but the OP is commuting from Brantford.

While I would be inclined to suggest that you figure out how to live in Hamilton, to save the gas, Brantford is not very far. I'm from Brantford. It's a 20 minute commute... But thanks to all the idiotic drivers, especially trucks, the mountain is the slowest part of the commute in the morning because two transport trucks will ALWAYS go side by side, one at 90km/h, the other doing 95 km/h right beside it...

So enjoy!

speirac says thanks to mike_302 for this post.

speirac likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 09:27 AM   #7
speirac

Delayed response here...
Believe it or not I am not that familiar with driving to Hamilton in the AM. (Used to commute to London everyday so the drive was a breeze when it wasn't snowing.) How is traffic, and is there a backup route you have established incase of collisions or unsafe highway conditions?
Old 09-03-2012 at 02:25 PM   #8
bannmartin

Liked: 0 Times

Commuting from Brantford to Hamilton, also.
Hi there,

I don't know if you found ridesharing, but I would interested in talking to you about your schedule and sharing the drive. I have to go in everyday. Mon-Thurs in term 2.
Old 09-04-2012 at 11:41 AM   #9
wonderstruck

Liked: 4 Times

if you have a morning class give yourself extra time to be stuck in traffic going down the mountain or find an exit to get off at before going down the mountain and get to mac thru some back roads. Traffic generally stinks in that area before 10am.
Old 09-04-2012 at 11:49 AM   #10
puneet01

Hey.
I commute from Brantford and honesty it is a lot better than taking the grey hound. If you do have morning classes leave a bit of extra time for traffic. But you can always take Wilson Street if traffic is really bad.