MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone please guide me through the school's terrible course registration process TheZProjekt Academics 2 07-10-2011 10:48 AM
terrible tuesdays jordan19 Academics 17 08-20-2010 02:06 PM
Terrible Signature Restrictions? RoyK Computers & Tech 1 07-11-2010 08:28 PM
TERRIBLE experience at Gino's sniderj General Discussion 32 02-02-2010 09:07 AM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM

Commuting: terrible hassle or what :S

Old 08-03-2011 at 12:49 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Commuting: terrible hassle or what :S
hey guys, im going to mac first year this fall. i live in milton and unfortunately im gonna be commuting everyday. any ideas how to get there? advice is apppreciaateddd!

also, in reality, how much of a hassle is it to commute everyday?
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:17 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
hey guys, im going to mac first year this fall. i live in milton and unfortunately im gonna be commuting everyday. any ideas how to get there? advice is apppreciaateddd!

also, in reality, how much of a hassle is it to commute everyday?
Use google maps, McMaster's address is 1280 Main St. W. There's an option for public transit.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:26 PM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

There is No busses from milton to McMaster.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:29 PM   #4
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

No offense, but this (getting to school) is the kind of thing you really should have had an idea of when you were applying to universities, and certainly should have figured out by the time you accepted an offer... waiting until a month before your first classes to start looking at how you'll get to them might not have been the best course of action.

EDIT: Anyway, try Google Maps, it's probably your best bet. Just go to maps.google.com and click "Get Directions." Put your home address in the first box and "McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario" in the second. Or instead you can put "1280 Main St W, Hamilton, Ontario" in the second box. You will see four choices above those text fields: a car, a bus, a person, and a bicycle. Click the bus for public transit directions (the car gives driving directions, person gives walking directions, bicycle gives basically the same as walking directions most of the time).

Last edited by Andrew A : 08-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 08-03-2011 at 01:37 PM   #5
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

I live in Mississauga so its not to far off but I had to go to Oakville Go Station and take that to Mcmaster. Try looking into that. (I think there may be one from Mississauga if thats more convinent but I might of missed it that day when I was looking up how to get there) goodluck
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:39 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
I live in Mississauga so its not to far off but I had to go to Oakville Go Station and take that to Mcmaster. Try looking into that. (I think there may be one from Mississauga if thats more convinent but I might of missed it that day when I was looking up how to get there) goodluck
Can't u take the go bus from square one O.o ?

Old 08-03-2011 at 01:39 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

If you can get a ride/drive to Bronte Carpool then you'll be fine to get to McMaster from there.

L'Étoile says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:42 PM   #8
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Can't u take the go bus from square one O.o ?
You get to save $40/month that way.
Old 08-03-2011 at 01:44 PM   #9
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
You get to save $40/month that way.
how so ?

12charsss

Old 08-03-2011 at 02:01 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
how so ?

12charsss
Oakville to McMaster = 54$

Square 1 to McMaster = 66.75$

12.75$ per 10 rides, assuming 10 rides per week saves you roughly 50$ per month.

Edit: Just realised that a monthly pass is cheaper... it's 204$ compared to 165$, which is 39$ cheaper.

L'Étoile says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:19 PM   #11
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oakville to McMaster = 54$

Square 1 to McMaster = 66.75$

12.75$ per 10 rides, assuming 10 rides per week saves you roughly 50$ per month.

Edit: Just realised that a monthly pass is cheaper... it's 204$ compared to 165$, which is 39$ cheaper.
buy from streetsville to mcmaster, it costs $60 for 10 ride and you still take the sq1 bus.

$4 more than oakville but you still get the benefits of the express busses
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:25 PM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
No offense, but this (getting to school) is the kind of thing you really should have had an idea of when you were applying to universities, and certainly should have figured out by the time you accepted an offer... waiting until a month before your first classes to start looking at how you'll get to them might not have been the best course of action.

EDIT: Anyway, try Google Maps, it's probably your best bet. Just go to maps.google.com and click "Get Directions." Put your home address in the first box and "McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario" in the second. Or instead you can put "1280 Main St W, Hamilton, Ontario" in the second box. You will see four choices above those text fields: a car, a bus, a person, and a bicycle. Click the bus for public transit directions (the car gives driving directions, person gives walking directions, bicycle gives basically the same as walking directions most of the time).
I completely agree that this should already have been thought out, but you gotta remember that some of these kids are 17! i certainly wasn't as mature then as I am now.
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:25 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
buy from streetsville to mcmaster, it costs $60 for 10 ride and you still take the sq1 bus.

$4 more than oakville but you still get the benefits of the express busses
If you use the Streetsville to McMaster tickets with the same bus operators and never ask for a transfer, they will remember you and will get suspicious.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-03-2011 at 02:30 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It depends.
Now, a lot of people will say commuting isn't that bad. But I found it to be a real pain. I did better in school when commuting but I hate the experience. The GO Buses are fun until you get pushed out of line, or shoved or fall due to unruly crowds and have to stand, or go super early to wait for a seat.

My commute was from Square One to McMaster for the first 11 months of university, and then Streetsville to McMaster these past 3 months.

Here's why it's a headache:
15 minutes to Square One from my house.
A minimum 10 minute wait for the bus.
I usually take a regular bus (not an express) so that takes about 50 minutes.
Go to class about 10 minutes earlier (if you're lucky)

That's 85 minutes right there.

Now, 50 minutes going back, 10 minutes waiting at the bus stop, 15 minute ride back to my house, a total of 75 minutes going back.

160 minutes per day, 2.67 hours wasted "on the bus" or "en route", not including the time you need to wind down after a commute like that.

Sure, you may read on the bus, or sleep on the bus, but it is quite hellish.

Since your commute is not that long, it should be better but it is still inconvenient, IMO and I wouldn't do it again.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Eternal Fire, justinsftw like this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:31 PM   #15
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
If you use the Streetsville to McMaster tickets with the same bus operators and never ask for a transfer, they will remember you and will get suspicious.
I've been doing this for over 2 years now, and in my experiences I was only questioned once if I was transferring after or not, to which I replied yes and he let me on.