Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 83%
Comp Sci 1BA3

Check out the course listing for this class here.

Don't be fooled by the title! This class is probobly the farthest from being a full-fledged computer science course. There really is no hardcore programming like C++ in this class; the closest thing to programming you learn is Java, which I think is a piece of cake (but you and other people may think otherwise).

In this course, you learn about the basic, but helpful Microsoft Office suite programs (minus OneNote) like Access, Excel and Word. On top of that, you also learn Java and HTML. As well, you'll learn about computer hardware, input/output, the internet, etc etc. You also learn some binary code, which is kinda lame haha, but oh well. For me, being a big computer person prior to taking this course, all of this was a big joke to me, hence why I got an 11 (I was actually 1% away from getting a 12 :().

The class has 4 or 5 assignments, each pertaining to whatever unit you have just leanred in class (e.g. for the HTML unit, we actually had to make a website). On top of that, there were 2 midterms and 1 exam. The exam was SO EASY. Everyone I talked to thought it was a big joke.

The prof, Yasser Ebrahim was amazing. He was hilarious and really knew how to break the ice with everyone. The class was at 830 but I actually GOT UP to go because I loved it so much.

I'm not sure who the prof is for 08/09, but if it's this guy, have fun, becuase it will be awesome! Just a warning.. this course was known to be very hard before 07/08, so I'm not sure if there was a prof change or if they just the curriculum alltogether.

aads, ayiri, xhorizon all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Comp Sci 1BA3!

Old 07-26-2008 at 06:41 AM   #2
meerf

Liked: 7 Times
Attend every class, print out notes and take it to class and fill in the seldom blanks, review the notes THOROUGHLY before the midterms/exam, and you are guaranteed a 12.

ishk33 says thanks to meerf for this post.
Old 12-24-2008 at 03:42 PM   #3
hovaisnumba1

Liked: 1 Time
I just finished taking the course and I have to say, it was kind of a joke. The professor is new this year, and he's still settling into teaching. The main subjects of the course were learning how to use word, powerpoint, excel, access, and html/javascript. It was all really basic stuff for me. I never even studied for any of the tests or the exam and I ended up with a 12. So all in all, if you're comfortable with using a computer you'll be fine in this class.

pinkshuniza says thanks to hovaisnumba1 for this post.
Old 01-08-2009 at 06:43 PM   #4
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times
it says you need a pre-req for it

Old 01-08-2009 at 07:33 PM   #5
hovaisnumba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
it says you need a pre-req for it
hm there shouldn't be any pre req required for this course. probably says that because this course is strictly for commerce students as far as I know.
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:35 PM   #6
rahma_33
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times
i really wanna take this course but it keeps telling me that i need a pre-req course :S...n i really dont wanna call mac cuz they always end up puttin me on hold for atleast an hour...so id appreciate it if someone could help me with that
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:06 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahma_33 View Post
i really wanna take this course but it keeps telling me that i need a pre-req course :S...n i really dont wanna call mac cuz they always end up puttin me on hold for atleast an hour...so id appreciate it if someone could help me with that
Here you go:

Quote:
Prerequisite(s): Registration in the School of Business and one Grade 12 U or M Mathematics credit; or one of MATH 1K03, 1M03, STATS 1L03

rahma_33 likes this.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:47 PM   #8
rahma_33
Account Disabled by User

thnx uuuuuu
Old 09-21-2009 at 05:42 PM   #9
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
I'm taking this course with Dr. Anthony Hurst. Will the textbook for this course be needed?
Old 09-25-2009 at 12:05 PM   #10
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I'm taking this course with Dr. Anthony Hurst.
I'm going to tell you right now that this course is going to be fun.

Fun, Fun, FUN, FUN, FUN, FUN,
FUN!!!:d evil:

Quote:
Will the textbook for this course be needed?
Well it depends on how much you already know about computers. That said. If it's anything like last year, it's useful for the first midterm but it's not much help afterward.
Old 12-16-2009 at 07:00 PM   #11
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times
Prof: Anthony Hurst

Course Breakdown:

- 2 midterms (30%)
- Tutorial Exercises (10%)
- 3 Assignments (15%)
- 1 Final Exam (45%)

The prof was ok, he wasn't the best one but he wasn't horrible either. He was a nice guy overall. His lectures were extremely boring though!! Sometimes he just goes off on a tangent and somehow makes it back to what we were supposed to be talking about without you noticing. BUT that doesn't mean that you should just skip his lectures, his midterm and final exams are based largely on what he said in the lectures. Most of the time you'll be confused by the topics he lectures on so I strongly advise reading the assigned readings (this mostly applies to the database and the last unit) because then whatever you heard in the lectures will become crystal clear!

Assignments weren't difficult at all but i advise not doing them the night before because you WILL make lots of mistakes which you won't notice. Compare assignments with a friend to make sure you're formulas are correct.

Tutorials weren't much of a help but I had to go anyways because it counted for marks...

The first midterm and the final exam were about the same in terms of easiness, the second midterm was noticeably harder though.

Overall I would rate this course as average. I found it to be an easy course but you did have to work a bit at times....
Old 06-15-2010 at 05:27 AM   #12
Sandra Shan

are there any online resources available for this couse?(assignment, notes, etc) i really wanna do some preview.
THNX!!!
Old 06-30-2010 at 02:20 PM   #13
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times
are there any presentations in this course?
Old 06-30-2010 at 05:04 PM   #14
hovaisnumba1

@sandra: no i don't think there's any resources other than the course outline located somewhere in the eng/compsci website but basic overview is you'll learn how to use microsoft word, excel, access, and a bit of html and javascript. Nothing too majorly difficult even for thoses not as computer sauvy.

@icecubz: from i what remember 2 years ago no there shouldn't be any presentations. Usually its just assignments and in tutorial participation marks along with tests of course

Sandra Shan, sayok8737 all say thanks to hovaisnumba1 for this post.

Sandra Shan likes this.
Old 08-28-2010 at 05:24 AM   #15
tanweerrohil

what if you dont know anything about computers is the course still easy, i dont know anything about them

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search