Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Comp Sci 1BA3 sayok8737 Academics 8 09-14-2010 03:52 PM

Comp Sci 1BA3

Old 07-25-2008 at 09:42 AM   #16
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Comp Sci 1BA3
Check out the course listing for this class here.

Don't be fooled by the title! This class is probobly the farthest from being a full-fledged computer science course. There really...

all say thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 08-28-2010 at 06:48 AM   #15
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times
Well have you used MS Word/Excel before at least? If you REALLLY dont know how to use one, the text book tells you how to open the computer, fold a mouse.... etc.

For tutorials you're given notes that give you step by step instructions on how to use the programs so just review those before a midterm along with the notes he gives in class (if Hurst is still the prof this year).
Old 09-23-2010 at 01:19 PM   #16
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times
What kind of material/information should I expect to see on the midterms/exam? Is it all multiple choice, are there fill-in-the-blanks, are there short answers, etc? Honestly, I don't know what to expect from this course, aha. My plan for the course is to read the book, make notes of the summaries at the end, do the practice questions and review questions, and attend the lectures and review them after reading. But even though I read ch.2, I became lost after I tried the practice test. I'm just terrible at the theory, but good at the application part (using excel etc)
Old 09-25-2010 at 12:31 AM   #17
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times
WTH :S I thought 1TA3 was supposed to be like this?!!!
Old 09-27-2010 at 08:47 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
WTH :S I thought 1TA3 was supposed to be like this?!!!
Huh?

This is a required Commerce course... It's possible that there's a class just like it for other departments.

(Commerce often has their own courses/course codes for classes since there are so many of us. Prime example: We have Econ 2x03 as a required course but it's the exact same as Econ 2g03)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-22-2010 at 11:41 AM   #19
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times
Alrighty, here's a little review of what happened in the 2010 course. Not exactly a hard course; if you're half decent with computers and have a good memory, then you'll do fine. I managed to get a 12 in it; just make sure you don't take it too lightly cause it's a "computer course".

Course Breakdown:
Test 1: 25%
Test 2: 25%
Exam: 50%
Tutorials: 0%

Test 1
written by the first prof, Brian Detlor. It consisted of Excel and hardware/software. To be honest, this was the easiest exam, as I didn't even study for it and managed a 94. There was practice quizzes on nelson too for hardware/software, which helped a lot. Just read the parts in the book that emphasize his slides, and you'll definitely do amazing. Take some notes too, for sure. It didn't really ask any key stroke/mouse click questions. There were a few "random fact" questions, e.g one was "Who created Linux?" and this can all be known by just doing the practice quizzes or what not. The average on the exam was a 61-63%, and it was bellcurved to a 67-69%. Consisted of 50 questions. T/F & M/C

Test 2
Now Anthony Hurst comes, where imo the course requires much more effort than before, cause you not only have to know things ONLY discussed in lectures, but you have to memorize loads of details from the textbook, his slides, lectures, keystrokes/mouse clicks etc. The second test included: Page Design, MS Word, XHTML, HTML, and the internet. Questions here can be like "what font size is heading 3?" and "How many inches in this point size?" Typically, his tests incorporate examples showed in the book (read the book and remember every little detail!), various concepts from his slides, and other things he discusses in lectures. Consisted of 60 questions, with 20 T/F or so I believe and 40 M/C. (+-2) Average on this exam was a 61-63%, was also bell curved up. Due to many tricky T/F questions and being ignorant and not reading them carefully, I only managed an 84% here. (50/60)

Final Exam
The level of difficulty was harder than both midterms, for sure. I managed to somehow get over 90% on it, which surprised me cause many Access questions were tricky. This exam consisted of 30 T/F and 70 MC.

Breakdown:
10% database terminology, concepts, and implementation
40% Access terms, tasks, and navigation details
40% XHTML, internet, and CSS
10% Page design and Word

Basically, for the Access stuff, he gave us a bunch of definitions that weren't learned in class, weren't in the book, weren't discussed in lectures... or anywhere. You basically had to research these terms on your own, but actually somebody posted a great link with certain sections of the full nelson book online, which described these various terms. Many people complained about the Access stuff, saying that they didn't have it, and thinking that's a reasonable alibi for doing bad on the exam. Honestly, we knew way before the exam what was going to be on it, and it's your fault if you weren't prepared and responsible enough to have access to... Access. CSS/XHTML stuff was terribly easy, many other people in the class thought so too. Basically, know Access in and out, play with it a lot, I studied for a couple days for this (not 24/7, but I definitely practiced a lot with Access cause it was terribly confusing at first... but I got to know it inside out) Average was 61%, bellcurved to 67%.

Tutorials: Useless, imo. Absolutely useless. I only attended one tutorial and most of the time was spent with people having no idea what they were doing. Just do the tutorials in the book on your own... it gives you more time to learn at your pace.
Old 05-07-2011 at 08:00 PM   #20
Sonia

Liked: 0 Times
I have finish this course, this is soooo trick
Old 05-07-2011 at 09:15 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia View Post
I have finish this course, this is soooo trick
You're the first person to say it was so tricky lolol.
Old 05-16-2011 at 08:37 PM   #22
Nina91

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Listen and take notes in class! Just reading the notes and textbook is not enough. Most exam material is given through side notes by professors!
Old 05-17-2011 at 04:20 PM   #23
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times
I beg to differ. Reading the book more than suffices if you've ever used a computer in your life.
Old 08-25-2011 at 01:06 AM   #24
atyc.chao

This course is really really simple. You read the textbook and you're practically going to pass. Simple as that. Two midterms and a final exam!
Old 09-06-2012 at 07:37 PM   #25
Macgirl09

is the comp sci 1BA3 textbook necessary? I brought it because the professor said she'd assign readings from there.
Old 09-11-2012 at 07:47 PM   #26
Danni

b u m p
Old 09-19-2012 at 12:54 PM   #27
abbas.kassam

I have Dr. Nicole Wagner atm for this course, any reviews on how she is as a prof? her tests? exams?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search