MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Sci 1FC3 or Anthrop 1A03? Hani.Ramzan Academics 10 12-08-2010 10:32 PM
comp megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-18-2010 12:45 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM
Comp Sci 1FC3 shapkin123 General Discussion 7 08-11-2009 10:59 AM
Timetable Conflict with COMP SCI 1FC3 georgeb.1990 Academics 6 08-16-2008 11:41 PM

Comp Sci 1FC3 advice?

Old 12-22-2010 at 10:56 AM   #1
luxhydrus

Liked: 0 Times

Comp Sci 1FC3 advice?
Hey everyone,

I need another elective course, and Comp Sci 1FC3 MATHEMATICS FOR COMPUTING sounds really interesting, even though i've never taking a computer sci course before.

I just want to know if there's alot of reading and memorizing in the course.
I can handle all the math for sure, but i'm worried that it might be like physics,where you also need to read and memorize.
Old 12-22-2010 at 11:38 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I'm taking this next term too, I wish there was a review on it but there isn't one yet
Old 12-22-2010 at 12:29 PM   #3
breadmaster

Took this last year. Got an 8. Hard earned 8.

If you're worried about memorization...well, there's a lot of memorization! There are quite a few axioms you need to know (~100?) which will come naturally as you do the homework.

Have fun.

luxhydrus says thanks to breadmaster for this post.
Old 12-22-2010 at 03:36 PM   #4
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

If you're reading math and thinking numbers, you're going to be unpleasantly surprised. You might discuss the naturals a bit, but this course is discrete math, which is quite different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_mathematics

If you're wondering what's covered specifically, it varies from year to year, from what I can tell. I would expect propositional and predicate logics, set theory, and relations at the least.

Personally, I'd suggest against taking this course as an elective. It will be hard, and you will likely hate it.

That said, this course is what computer science is really all about. It's very likely that it will be your first look into the theory behind computer science; it was for me. A lot of people hate the course, and it is tough, but it's necessary; the majority of upper year courses are concentrated on theory like this, rather than programming.

luxhydrus says thanks to MarkA for this post.
Old 12-22-2010 at 04:49 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

I've not taken it, but this course looks pretty interesting. When you say you're not worried about the math, you should keep in mind, as MarkA said, that you won't be doing 'math' in the same manner as you've done it in high-school & first-year.

You'll probably cover Boolean algebra and predicate logic, and learn a host of techniques of proof along the way (the most interesting of these, to me at least, being reductio ad absurdum). You'll cover some elementary set theory - ideas of finite unions, intersections, of the power set, etc., and apparently some introductory graph theory as well.

You probably won't have to memorise much - I mean, yeah, there's axioms, but there'll probably just be 2 or 3 that are really important and pertinent, while the rest will just be there so picky mathematicians / computer scientists don't poke holes in the prof's notes / textbook.

I'm unsure as to how they present the axiom / rule-of-inference idea in this course, but don't think of axioms as just a long list of "unnatural" properties! If you understand the basic ideas of what you're trying to prove, you should see the need for particular axioms and maybe even prove some theorems yourself. Then, of course, you won't need to regurgitate "there exists an empty set" over-and-over on the test.

luxhydrus says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 12-22-2010 at 05:47 PM   #6
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

I've taken this course (2 years ago), and there are actually a lot of axioms to memorize. There is a lot of reading. There are a lot of proofs to do as well. At the start it is easy, like set theory and learning implications and truth tables but after that it gets really hard. Defiantly not a course to take if you want an easy elective.

luxhydrus says thanks to Rob Mac for this post.
Old 12-22-2010 at 07:51 PM   #7
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

advice: Don't take the course

luxhydrus says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.
Old 12-23-2010 at 01:12 PM   #8
TLyn

Took this course last year with Kahl. It is a tough course and I wouldn't recommend taking it if you have a heavy course load 2nd term especially if you don't plan on taking 2nd year comp sci courses. On a plus side he bell curves the marks at the end quite a bit and the marking is fair. Like everyone else said this is not math you have seen in highschool or calculus class. Lots of memorizing!

luxhydrus says thanks to TLyn for this post.
Old 12-26-2010 at 11:46 AM   #9
luxhydrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mac View Post
I've taken this course (2 years ago), and there are actually a lot of axioms to memorize. There is a lot of reading. There are a lot of proofs to do as well. At the start it is easy, like set theory and learning implications and truth tables but after that it gets really hard. Defiantly not a course to take if you want an easy elective.
Thanks for the advice.
As a math major, was the material in the course useful or a good preparation for upper year math courses?
Old 01-02-2011 at 07:41 AM   #10
luxhydrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mac View Post
Thanks for the advice.
As a math major, was the material in the course useful or a good preparation for upper year math courses?
Old 01-02-2011 at 08:48 AM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I have taken upper year math courses (more the physics stream of courses rather than the math major courses) but I can say alot of it comes in handy. Just some of the symbols like "there exists" and "for all" as well as learning what the truth tables for all logic operations came in handy.

luxhydrus says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.
Old 01-02-2011 at 11:10 AM   #12
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxhydrus View Post
Thanks for the advice.

yeah, that stuff will come in handy. We jumped right into the logical symbols in 2X03 (quantifiers, predicate logic), it was somewhat assumed. All we really got from the prof on it was "this means 'there exists', and this means 'for every'", so familiarity with the properties of quantifiers will be helpful. In addition, familiarity with operators will be helpful in understanding proofs (implication, iff, etc.)

That said, the basic properties aren't difficult at all. You can easily teach it to yourself.

luxhydrus says thanks to Mahratta for this post.