MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering Maintain Academics 19 04-07-2011 01:24 PM
what course do I have to take for 3rd computer engineering? hellrise Academics 2 02-23-2010 08:13 PM
Computer Engineering Timetable.. blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2009 04:36 PM
Engineering and computer science WavesSea First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-01-2008 01:21 PM

Computer Engineering

Old 07-12-2012 at 03:53 PM   #1
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Computer Engineering
Hey Guys, Does any one what was the cut off to get into computer engineering after Eng I for last year ?.
Old 07-12-2012 at 03:56 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Almost always is a 4.0
Old 07-12-2012 at 05:16 PM   #3
canadianvpk

Sorry I didnt get it. 4 out of what ?.

Can you tell me few other like electrical and other majors what the cut off was ? What I am getting at is is 4 means low or high ?. Everyone wants to get into this program or no bady wants. How easy is to get into this major?. Please let me know if you know more information.
Old 07-12-2012 at 05:23 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

4 on the 12 point scale. It equates to roughly a 65% average.

Basically if you can manage to stay in engineering after first year, you can get into computer engineering. It's generally one of the least desirable streams for some reason.
Old 07-12-2012 at 05:54 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Computer eng has one of the lowest admission averages, it's usually around 4 which is equivalent to a (60%-62%) ...other programs like civil and mechanical have high admission averages (around 6shh).

The least competitive programs to get into are: Software(all 3), Computer, Eng Phys, Materials, Chemical.
The competitive programs are: Civil, Mechanical, Elec&Biomedical, Management.
Chemical&bio and Mechatronics (tron) are usually around 5 (63%-66%)
Electrical is kind off odd because it changes each year:
2008/2009 >> High
2009/2010 >> low(4.0)
2010/2011 >> not too high and not too low (around 4.8, maybe lower)
2011/2012 >> no clue

GPA Conversion Chart:
http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...ion-chart.html
For mcmater look at columns 3 and 10

vzhangg says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 07-12-2012 at 06:49 PM   #6
canadianvpk

Thanks Jim, you are awesome. The explanation was great.

Do you happen to know how grads from Computer Engineer where doing ?. How is the employment rate ?. I wonder why it is so long. Is it hard to study ?.
Old 07-12-2012 at 06:58 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
4 on the 12 point scale. It equates to roughly a 65% average.

Basically if you can manage to stay in engineering after first year, you can get into computer engineering. It's generally one of the least desirable streams for some reason.
4 is actually 60-62
5 is 63-66
Old 07-12-2012 at 07:22 PM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianvpk View Post
Thanks Jim, you are awesome. The explanation was great.

Do you happen to know how grads from Computer Engineer where doing ?. How is the employment rate ?. I wonder why it is so long. Is it hard to study ?.
I know few people who graduated from mac (from electrical) and found employment.. don't know anyone who graduated from comp eng, but the 2 programs are similar. The difficulty of a program depends on you..if you like something and really enjoy it then you will be fine, but if you go to a program because it makes a lot of money but you don't enjoy it, then you will get destroyed in that program...most likely you will lose interest in the material and just give up on it, or do very bad.
I know people who went into 2nd year eng programs but were not interested in the material and totally got owned...because they had no interest, they lost the motivation to study and eventually left the program..

The way mcmaster does things for engineering is kindda tricky..they make it competitive to get into some programs because they know that a lot of people who don't get into a program they want (like civil or mechanical) end up going into a program with low admission average...and that's dangerous, why? Imagine studying something you don't like and have no interest in for 3 years..i know people who did and got kicked out of eng... I also know people who because they didn't get into mechanical, went into eng physics and got destroyed...I am not saying that everyone who goes into a program they don't wanna be in, give up and leave..some students stick with it and graduate.

In general, if you study something you are passionate about, you will not lose interest in the material and will work hard on it. I understand that it's hard to get into some programs, but I also know that if you put in a lot of effort into it you will be fine. First year engineering is a lot of work, but if you are a serious person you should be fine!

Don't worry about employment for now, just go into something you like. Engineers are going to be in demand long into the future!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Htx...f eature=plcp

incarnation likes this.
Old 07-12-2012 at 08:29 PM   #9
canadianvpk

Yeah I agree with you Jim. One should select program what they are passionate about rather than that is what make more money. In my case both program are computer related, that is why I am confused.
Old 07-13-2012 at 07:25 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

A 4 is only ever a 65 when you are showing that mark to your parents!

MacPack likes this.