MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
need computer help Strongwiller General Discussion 4 12-03-2009 03:59 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

Computer Paradox... help x|

Old 10-31-2010 at 06:16 PM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Computer Paradox... help x|
My computer always has to do a disc check at start-up because apparently one of the discs is corrupted or something. But, it never gets through the whole disc check, and tells me to restore my computer to an earlier point. When I try to do system restore, it tells me that I can't do restore without having my discs checked, which I can't do at any time except start up because 'the disc is in use'.

effectively it's a paradox and I don't know what to do about it :| I don't want to have to restore my computer to factory settings, so does anyone have a quick fix or something?

p.s. I'm running windows 7 on an HP computer.
Old 10-31-2010 at 06:38 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

are u able to start up?... if u are try to figure out what exactly is corrupting the disk or u can try making a backup of important stuff then jus reformat the whole disk (but make sure u have backed up everything u need and have the OS installation disk)

but im not a techie so take my advice with a grain of salt.... bleepingcomputer is always helpful

anon491 says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 10-31-2010 at 07:15 PM   #3
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

go to bsb 245 UTS, they are the best they fixed my comuter last year

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 10-31-2010 at 08:01 PM.

anon491 says thanks to MCHEDDENITE for this post.
Old 10-31-2010 at 07:34 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
are u able to start up?... if u are try to figure out what exactly is corrupting the disk or u can try making a backup of important stuff then jus reformat the whole disk (but make sure u have backed up everything u need and have the OS installation disk)

but im not a techie so take my advice with a grain of salt.... bleepingcomputer is always helpful
yeah, I can start up and use my computer just fine. it's just annoying to have to go through disc check every time i boot up. and then in the future if I really do need to restore for a legitimate reason, I'll be in trouble.

the problem with backing up and reformatting is that it takes too much time
Old 10-31-2010 at 07:35 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
go to bsb 245 UTS, theyare the ebst they fixed my comute last year
it's a desktop though x( but maybe I'll try popping in to ask them.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:22 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I suggest backing up what precious data you have on the computer asap. Whatever is corrupting your computer is likely to continue happening... then format it and put your stuff back on. Its tedious to have to do, but you'll save yourself stress in the long-run.

anon491 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:45 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I suggest backing up what precious data you have on the computer asap. Whatever is corrupting your computer is likely to continue happening... then format it and put your stuff back on. Its tedious to have to do, but you'll save yourself stress in the long-run.
I guess I'll eventually have to resort to that x( thanks!
Old 10-31-2010 at 08:47 PM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

manual chkdsk or use a chkdsk command in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is awesome for solving hardware problems.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:00 PM   #9
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
manual chkdsk or use a chkdsk command in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is awesome for solving hardware problems.
open-source is great and all, but I have no constructive use for it so I'll stick to windows u.u does chkdsk work on Windows 7?
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:04 PM   #10
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
open-source is great and all, but I have no constructive use for it so I'll stick to windows u.u does chkdsk work on Windows 7?
yes it does.

I wasn't talking about opensource and stuff. I was talking about the tools available on it for troubleshooting. I doubt there's a tool like testdisk for windows
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:09 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
yes it does.

I wasn't talking about opensource and stuff. I was talking about the tools available on it for troubleshooting. I doubt there's a tool like testdisk for windows
but since its open-source there's more options for features cause it's open for developers to add to.

....nevermind I lost the base point of my statement xD
but yeahh.