Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer HELP?

Old 06-04-2010 at 09:10 PM   #1
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Computer HELP?
I'm thinking of opening a website for computer help. Software, hardware, anything - computer-related. Like, help people solve a problem they have, find and guide them through software they need/want to use, and maybe even find a solid laptop to meet their budget/spec needs.

Would you be interested in visiting a website like this? Would you participate by contacting me for articles to write? Would it be useful at all?

Thanks. Just want to know what the general attitude is towards this before I spend much time on it.

Last edited by blackdragon : 06-04-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: rename
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:03 PM   #2
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

sounds pretty cool. You could also write reviews and recommendations for what parts a first time builder would use. Price vs. performance, bang for buck cpu's video cards, How To's : seating a heatsink, applying thermal paste etc.

You could create your very own Ted's Hardware.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 06-04-2010 at 10:10 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Haha.

Well if this does pick up, I will also write software reviews frequently, along with steps to setup and customize the program for best performance / least annoyance
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:35 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Also, if anyone is interested, I will be reviewing the following programs to start:

-CCleaner
-Revo Uninstaller
-iTunes
Old 06-04-2010 at 10:37 PM   #5
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

would you happen to know the difference between FCleaner and CCleaner? I heard they were the same thing but im finding FCleaner much more user-friendly

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 06-04-2010 at 10:47 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Both seem to have the same core idea.

I just prefer CCleaner because Pirifom has some pretty interesting software, and good support forums. FCleaners is "coming soon".

Boolean says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 06-04-2010 at 11:54 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Also, if anyone is interested, I will be reviewing the following programs to start:

-CCleaner
-Revo Uninstaller
-iTunes
Can you also review iobit programs? I switched from CCleaner to the IObit system care, I also switched from Revo Uninstaller to IObit Uninstaller.

I thought you should also know that lifehacker is a pretty good site for computer related information. I don't think they have computer help though, just programs and stuff like that.

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-05-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:01 AM   #8
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

it would be great!
Old 06-05-2010 at 12:11 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Another reason for this kind of website would be to show people that there are alternatives out there, and the most "popular" isnt exactly the best.

Never heard of IOBit, but will definitely read up on it and try it out. Ill give this topic a couple days, lets see how many people are interested. If theres a sufficient number, expect to have a website and a few reviews up by this time next week

Raeann89 likes this.
Old 06-05-2010 at 11:43 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

I will probably be opening it sometime this week, spread the word and give me some suggestions on articles to write
Old 07-04-2010 at 11:57 AM   #11
thatdudeukno

Hi guys. I would also like to let people know that the library also offers tech support at their Help Desks, so just drop by if you encounter any tech problems. Cheers.

Link: http://library.mcmaster.ca/ithelp.htm
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:01 PM   #12
thatdudeukno

I think it is a great idea and would probably help out some of the less techy folk. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 07-04-2010 at 12:14 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Alright, I ended up opened a review-based website www.eceplayground.com

If you guys want to see any how-to articles, or need help with something, feel free to comment!
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:29 PM   #14
l.esho
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

That sounds like a great idea.

I actually have a question about my portable external hard drive.

It was working fine until recently. When I plugged it into my USB port, my computer didn't recognize it. Nothing showed up in My Computer. However, it did sense something had been plugged in.

Can you help me out? I googled it and it seems a lot of people have had this problem but I couldn't find a suitable solution.

Ps: I was watching Signs and my computer suddenly wouldn't respond while it was plugged in. Then it went into System Recovery and that's when it stopped working.
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:53 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.esho View Post
That sounds like a great idea.

I actually have a question about my portable external hard drive.

It was working fine until recently. When I plugged it into my USB port, my computer didn't recognize it. Nothing showed up in My Computer. However, it did sense something had been plugged in.

Can you help me out? I googled it and it seems a lot of people have had this problem but I couldn't find a suitable solution.

Ps: I was watching Signs and my computer suddenly wouldn't respond while it was plugged in. Then it went into System Recovery and that's when it stopped working.
that sounds odd.

Give me the make, model #, and maybe a link to the harddrive in question and ill look it up for you