Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
need computer help Strongwiller General Discussion 4 12-03-2009 03:59 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

Computer problem need help!

Old 03-06-2010 at 10:38 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Computer problem need help!
hey ok so I have a hp pavillion dv6000 laptop and it had vista on it but I upgraded to Windows 7 but now my built-in webcam is not working. I was trying to use it when talking to someone on Skype but first it said it cannot detect any webcam then I went to the HP website and updated a driver that said HP Webcam Driver with Firmware Upgrade for Microsoft Windows Vista because I couldn't find any that said Windows 7 and then when I tried to use it on Skype it said it detects it but there is a problem with it. The blue light beside the webcam that comes on when it is being used never came on. When I tilted my entire laptop upwards the blue light then came on and worked. Could someone please tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it? I am thinking it is something to do with the drivers but then why is it working if I tilt the entire laptop up to a certain angle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:57 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

While I can't explain why it worked when you tilted the laptop (was it a fluke, or a repeatable phenomenon?), I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the drivers.

Vista drivers may have compatibility issues with Windows 7...if this is the case, I'd suggest contacting HP directly. They may be able to direct you to another laptop's driver which happens to work**, or give you some other solution.

**What happens is, HP does not provide drivers for Windows 7 unless the computer came loaded with Windows 7. (ie. it does not support switching) But there may be other HP laptops, with similar enough webcams (and identical drivers) running Windows 7, that HP may direct you toward.
Old 03-07-2010 at 03:39 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Contact HP. If you upgraded to Win7 legally, they will help you through no problem. Otherwise id suggest just trying to figure it out on your own instead of drawing attention.
Its 99% drivers. Uninstall the old ones, restart, and install the latest one.
Old 03-07-2010 at 03:59 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Um, I would say that having to "tilt your computer to make it work" is in no way a driver problem. That pretty much implies that there is a connection problem in the hardware. Most likely what's happened is the cable running from the computer part (underneath your keyboard) to the webcam at the top of your screen has worn out from opening and closing the lid.

That or it was just a complete fluke that it worked for a second .
Old 03-07-2010 at 06:27 PM   #5
**jewel 03**

ok thanks everyone, I will try and fix the drivers and hopefully it will work. I really hope it is not the screen/hardward problem as I am guessing that is so much harder to fix.
Old 03-07-2010 at 06:29 PM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by **jewel 03** View Post
ok thanks everyone, I will try and fix the drivers and hopefully it will work. I really hope it is not the screen/hardward problem as I am guessing that is so much harder to fix.
if it is a hardware problem, you could be better off buying a cheap usb webcam instead of getting it fixed. That is, if you're looking for the cheapest solution

**jewel 03** says thanks to Afzal for this post.
Old 03-07-2010 at 06:35 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

lol, if it does turn out to be a hardware problem, voiding your warrenty in the name of repairing it yourself with a soldering iron is always fun.
Old 03-07-2010 at 07:12 PM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, if it does turn out to be a hardware problem, voiding your warrenty in the name of repairing it yourself with a soldering iron is always fun.
That idea, at this time...will only affect one thing ---> your results
Old 03-15-2010 at 06:44 PM   #9
**jewel 03**

ok so now my laptop won't even turn on anymore :( So it turns out my screen is dead and I need a new one. Anyone have any ideas on where to get a cheap screen for my HP Pavilion laptop?
Old 03-15-2010 at 06:53 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
ok so now my laptop won't even turn on anymore :( So it turns out my screen is dead and I need a new one. Anyone have any ideas on where to get a cheap screen for my HP Pavilion laptop?
ebay is the answer.
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:37 PM   #11
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Sorry Afzal, but there is where I get to say: if it were a mac, they would replace the monitor for free

That's all. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:40 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Hmm, how do you know it's not your computer that's dead? Just because your webcam is on your monitor, it doesn't mean that your monitor died too.

kldv likes this.
Old 03-15-2010 at 11:10 PM   #13
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Hmm, how do you know it's not your computer that's dead? Just because your webcam is on your monitor, it doesn't mean that your monitor died too.
I got it checked out by a computer person. I can hear everything starting up and all (like the normal sounds) but my screen is just blank.
Old 03-15-2010 at 11:19 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I got it checked out by a computer person. I can hear everything starting up and all (like the normal sounds) but my screen is just blank.
Are you completely sure the screen is dead? It might actually only be the backlight. If it is the backlight, then that's much cheaper to replace.

Best way to check is by shining a light on the screen. You should be able to see the image if the LCD is still alive.

If not that, I think it's very possible that the wires connecting the screen to the motherboard wore out from bending. That would explain why the webcam died, since it would be connected by one of those wires.
Old 03-16-2010 at 08:59 AM   #15
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Are you completely sure the screen is dead? It might actually only be the backlight. If it is the backlight, then that's much cheaper to replace.

Best way to check is by shining a light on the screen. You should be able to see the image if the LCD is still alive.

If not that, I think it's very possible that the wires connecting the screen to the motherboard wore out from bending. That would explain why the webcam died, since it would be connected by one of those wires.
Ok I will try that, thanks! If it were the backlight, where can I get a replacement, and is it expensive?