MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFWR ENG 3F03 - Machine-level Computer Programming Ownaginatios 3rd Year Course Reviews 2 03-14-2014 01:54 AM
Programming Preom Academics 2 08-26-2011 10:22 PM
programming raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-03-2011 10:01 AM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM

Computer Programming

Old 06-13-2013 at 07:02 PM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Computer Programming
Say...
I'm interested in learning computer programming basics over the summer...not a course, but on my own...any ideas where to start????
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013 at 07:17 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Are you interested in learning a specific programming language in general? Python is generally a good start in my opinion.

You can learn it online, through this website which I highly recommend for beginners and well-versed programmers who just need to catch up on Python's syntax:

http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

If you have any questions, please feel free to post it or send me a PM!

Last edited by anonanon987 : 06-13-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Zebedee says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 07:49 PM   #3
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

I second codeacademy, its been a great place to learn programming. I had an urge to learn Python this summer so I've been doing that for a bit now and its helpful. I already took a computer science course in highschool so I kind of already know how things work a little, so it wasn't a completely new concept for me to learn but still, the site makes it very easy to learn.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:11 PM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Watch and understand these videos (python, java, algorithms, design patterns, OO, refactoring and you will be as good as most graduated software engineers from mac.

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas

Zebedee says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:33 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

This thread would be helpful. My gf is pursuing compeng/ compsci in the states. So what are other things other than python to pick up on and where
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:39 PM   #6
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

If you're looking for video tutorials then I highly recommend thenewboston! You can find his videos on youtube. He has a ton of playlists for programming including python (if you wanna start with that), java, C, C++, PHP, etc. I think it really helps since he explains the basics really well and I think you can easily understand it without any background knowledge of programming.

I also agree that python would probably be the best language to start off with since the syntax is simple and you can use it in many different ways.

BTW this guy has a website. Just go to videos and tutorials and look under computer programming. http://thenewboston.org/index.php

Zebedee likes this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:54 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
This thread would be helpful. My gf is pursuing compeng/ compsci in the states. So what are other things other than python to pick up on and where
Python/C++/Java are the three I know of that are the most common in introductory programming courses at the college/university level.

Where?

Use the internet. Codeacademy is something I came across doing a Google search a few months back.
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:37 PM   #8
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

In my first year of uni we learned C# pretty easy language and its pretty easy to migrate to c/c++. The first language I learned was in fact VB6
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:49 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Keep in mind that the basics of programming can be quite easy but if you want to WORK as a programmer you need to get quite good. A half decent programmer can judge a person's coding ability in a few minutes at most. Profs for example usually only have passable coding quality.

Code academy seems ok. Its a good starting place, especially for web and python stuff. Its great for beginners but you need to seek out higher level sources if you want to work professionally.

One thing to look for is Design patterns. Things like the Singleton (be very careful), Strategy, Factory, and command patters can make your code look very professional and clean. Keep in mind to implement most of these you need to understand Polymorphism very well.
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:52 PM   #10
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

"Profs for example usually only have passable coding quality"

depends on the department. CAS has some profs that are really good programmers
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:53 PM   #11
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Java and WPF C#. These are full featured languages that have far more structure than c++ and are use more in the workplace (for higher level things, not low/embedded). For comp sci make sure to focus on OO and Algorithms.
Old 06-13-2013 at 09:56 PM   #12
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Keep in mind that the basics of programming can be quite easy but if you want to WORK as a programmer you need to get quite good. A half decent programmer can judge a person's coding ability in a few minutes at most. Profs for example usually only have passable coding quality.

Code academy seems ok. Its a good starting place, especially for web and python stuff. Its great for beginners but you need to seek out higher level sources if you want to work professionally.

One thing to look for is Design patterns. Things like the Singleton (be very careful), Strategy, Factory, and command patters can make your code look very professional and clean. Keep in mind to implement most of these you need to understand Polymorphism very well.
I agree with you. But how can one learn and practice advanced programming concepts such as patterns etc at home? I have learnt a lot of advanced programming from my internship. I haven't come across anything useful to learn at home. I remember searching for something more professional and codecademy back before I started my internship, but I had no luck.
Old 06-13-2013 at 10:04 PM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
I agree with you. But how can one learn and practice advanced programming concepts such as patterns etc at home? I have learnt a lot of advanced programming from my internship. I haven't come across anything useful to learn at home. I remember searching for something more professional and codecademy back before I started my internship, but I had no luck.
Best place I have found:
Design Patterns:
http://www.newthinktank.com/videos/d...erns-tutorial/

Refactoring (super good, specifically later ones):
http://www.newthinktank.com/2013/02/...ideo-tutorial/

Zebedee says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

nikJ, Zebedee like this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 11:58 PM   #14
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Take a summer course in Mohawk, if it offers them during summer that is.
Old 06-14-2013 at 12:10 AM   #15
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Python is an easy language if you wanna start with it:
http://www.tutorialspoint.co m/pyth...n_overview.htm

Also, YouTube has tons of tutorial vids on programming, so if you ever need extra help just go there.

Zebedee says thanks to jim1 for this post.

Zebedee likes this.