MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Programming Course Michael23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-30-2011 09:14 PM
Learning several programming languages at once RankNullity Academics 31 06-09-2011 06:35 PM
Interested in Programming? dmzz Computers & Tech 14 08-10-2010 09:26 PM
Programming help (Java) roflnathan Academics 14 01-26-2010 11:36 AM
Programming languages in Engineering? kanishka Academics 32 08-20-2009 08:27 PM

programming

Old 08-02-2011 at 10:51 PM   #1
raveenaj

Liked: 2 Times

programming
hey ya alll
so i never took comp scinece in high school and dont know much about programming

i'm going for engineering and just wanted to ask if u need to learn programming before u start school?? or do they teach u everything there??
thanks

neko88 likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:29 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveenaj View Post
hey ya alll
so i never took comp scinece in high school and dont know much about programming

i'm going for engineering and just wanted to ask if u need to learn programming before u start school?? or do they teach u everything there??
thanks
They teach you everything, but the people who didn't have prior exposure to programming (even those who thought they were good with programming) bitched about those courses that involved it soooo hard and ate up a lot of their time
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:00 AM   #3
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Yeah, they teach you from the ground up. I'd still take a look at it over the summer just to gauge your understanding of it... it seems like programming is one of those "you either get it or you don't" courses. And if you're not understanding it, a little extra help probably couldn't hurt. On the other hand, if you get it you probably won't need to study or practice at all, and can still get a good mark.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:27 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You will learn everything from the basics, and now that their teaching you Python... its a piece of cake.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:30 AM   #5
InvisoBill

Liked: 23 Times

What sort of programming is taught? Like the general basics of programming that can be applied to any language (how computers read data, how we can write commands through compilers yada yada yada, operators and stuff) or is it going to be mostly Python specific?

Also, are we going to be making programs that have GUIs or is the end goal to be able to make basic programs to solve mathematical problems?
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:50 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
What sort of programming is taught? Like the general basics of programming that can be applied to any language (how computers read data, how we can write commands through compilers yada yada yada, operators and stuff) or is it going to be mostly Python specific?

Also, are we going to be making programs that have GUIs or is the end goal to be able to make basic programs to solve mathematical problems?

You can't "learn the basics" technically since the "basics" vary from language to language and concept to concept (procedural vs scripting vs oo)

GUI, well, we made gui's in 2nd year using Java, I dont think thats gonna happen with you guys with Python... but you never know, profs decide what they want from year to year
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:01 AM   #7
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

I had no exposure to Python programming in my life before this class and I got an 11 in it. And I had it with Spencer Smith, who was the harder of the two professors this year. People who got Farmer had much easier tests.

This is one of those classes where you should have the textbook just to do the examples because they really help you out with the programming labs.

...Or you could also download previous years' labs off DevC++ 'cause they're pretty similar.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:01 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

We'll be learning Python in CS 1MD3, and I would say that it is more of a scripting language than anything. I made a thread about it, so read up here:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...3#p ost262163